PDA

View Full Version : Two GMs One Game.

Eeza
April 26th, 2015, 06:19
I've been a user of Roll20 for a while now and I'm looking at moving over to Fantasy grounds. I've been watching videos and have chosen just a one shot to so my players and I can learn the program. However, I have just one question that I can't seem to find an answer for. If I have the Ultimate addition, am I allowed to have two GMs and four players going at once. I've not found any information on having multiple GMs going at the same time so any help would be appreciated.

damned
April 26th, 2015, 06:34
You cant simultaneously have 2 GMs. There is no support for that.
If you have 2 GMs that take turns you can transfer the Campaign folder between the two computers.
Licensing is different altogether though.

If you want multiple GMs you probably should all get Full/Standard licenses each. $39ea or 4 for $119 on Steam. Otherwise both of you will have to buy an Ultimate or subscribe to Ultimate. And DLC you buy will need to be bought by both too.
If you swap GMs each month you can Sub and cancel each month.

Eeza
April 26th, 2015, 06:48
So there is no way to Co-GM? No way for the other GM to log into the main ones account at the same time or something? So no two computers using the same account at the same time? Is that a feature that will be coming out anytime? Is there a reason there isn't allowed to be two GMs?

Mask_of_winter
April 26th, 2015, 07:00
I suggest putting it on the wishlist (https://fg2app.idea.informer.com/)!

damned
April 26th, 2015, 08:45
So there is no way to Co-GM? No way for the other GM to log into the main ones account at the same time or something? So no two computers using the same account at the same time? Is that a feature that will be coming out anytime? Is there a reason there isn't allowed to be two GMs?

Roll20 is a cloud based app - hosted on servers elsewhere. Fantasy Grounds is hosted on the GMs computer. Thats the first challenge to this. The second is - its such a niche request its highly unlikely to get the developers to focus on this. There are probably lots of reasons why this would be difficult - I can think of several.
As Mask_Of_Winter says - vote for it - it enough people vote its more likely to get consideration.

Dracones
April 26th, 2015, 16:46
I think the reason there isn't co-GM support is that when the software was first written it was created with a "GM will be the host" mindset so a lot would have to be changed to get it to work with a client connecting GM.

It's been a long requested feature so I'm hoping when they re-write under Unity they separate that logic out more. But there's a lot of other challenges on their plate when it comes to the new app.

JeffKnight
April 26th, 2015, 21:49
I think the reason there isn't co-GM support is that when the software was first written it was created with a "GM will be the host" mindset so a lot would have to be changed to get it to work with a client connecting GM.

It's been a long requested feature so I'm hoping when they re-write under Unity they separate that logic out more. But there's a lot of other challenges on their plate when it comes to the new app.

I think it goes beyond that. The vast majority of games only have a single GM - that is the way they are planned from even the IRL table-top level. Yes, there may be some GM swapping at different weeks, but I can honestly say that I've never seen 2 GMs at one table running the same game with the same players at the same time. At most, I've seen a veteran GM sitting next to a novice GM to observe and help should something get tricky. I have to ask, why would you want 2 GMs at the same time?

Griogre
April 26th, 2015, 22:00
I'm seen multiple GM's at cons to manage large groups - you know, the 100 guys attack a castle scenarios. In college my roommate and I ran a Party vs. Party scenario where we were co-GMs. We each ran a group at the same time and for the final battle vs. each other we co-DMed that fight. If you have young children playing it can really help to have some co-GMs helping them with their rolls and math stuff.

The Scriven One
April 27th, 2015, 11:54
I've seen games where one person ran the roleplaying and exploration, and another ran the combat.

jshauber
April 27th, 2015, 16:50
I've seen games where one person ran the roleplaying and exploration, and another ran the combat.

I have seen this as well for FTF games.

IF you wanted to do something like this in FG, you can have the co-GM log in as a player. Then you can drag/drop the NPCs that you want them to control onto their portrait (this is how you also handle having a summoned creature/monster controlled by a player). In theory it should work, just remember as GM DO NOT CLOSE THE NPC WINDOWS OR THE NPC WINDOW CLOSES ON THE SHAREE SCREEN AS WELL!!!!!

I have wanted to try this out but haven't yet. If anyone has done so please share and let us know how it worked.