PDA

View Full Version : Tile integration map tool

ZaroyGr
April 25th, 2015, 16:53
Hello to the community.

Im not a programmer, and i have limited technician knowledge, but im a art creator and a campaign maker or many years. Also English its not my native language so forgive me for grammar mistakes.

My post is both a request and a question at the same time.

Im running FG for my campaigns, online or offline, and i think its a great tool "if not the best" for any pen & paper style game, or even for simple board games (recently i was running a Cluedo like game via FG)

My question - request has to do with a possible map tool inside FG.
The import - token - grid style of it works fine and its great for premaid session or situations, but for a on the go creation, or a sandbox campaign has many restrictions.

My idea for this post came a long as i was creating a Map.
But lets take it from the beginning. For some time now, i have created many environmental Tokens, furniture's, trees, dead bodies, coffins etc. And i use them to populate my maps, and also to create a little more interactive maps for my players... for example, when someone push a bed in a room to block the door, i move is in real time near the door, or when someone opens a door i replace the closed door token with a new open door token etc.

But my main problem its that those token behave the same as the characters tokens, they get on top of my characters tokens if i click on them and many more problems... SO at last to the point, its there a way for a function, to lock the tokens as a background objects? or maybe a resize tool for them?

And to take it one step further, if there was a possibility like this, i would create premade floor tokens that i wold use as a Board. Put one here, that there, and TADAAAA.... you have a fast made dungeon, or a village, or a room, or a tavern, on the fly, right away... the possibilities are limitless.

So im asking for a function to work with token tiles, as map establishing tool.

And to take it one step further. I quit using photoshop to create my Maps, and im using a program called "TILED map editor (https://www.mapeditor.org/)" . Its pretty simple, i create tiles by the size of my grid or character tokens (64x64px) and i create vintage rpg maps very very fast. But again i do that outside of FG.
So im not asking for Photosop functionality inside FG, but i think that a tool like TILED map editor, its not that hard to be made inside FG.

thats all from me. thanks for your time. And Cheers.

Trenloe
April 25th, 2015, 17:01
I don't think you see any major changes to the image/token functionality in the current platform of Fantasy Grounds. FG is currently undergoing a move to the Unity platform, which will make graphical changes easier - but the devs already have a long list of new features to add once the move to a stable Unity platform has been made (some time off yet).

However, a lot of what you ask for can be done with the community developed enhanced images (layer) extension: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?20231-Enhanced-Images-%28layers%29-for-FG-3-0-CoreRPG-%28and-rulesets-based-on-CoreRPG%29 There is a video linked in the first post that gives an overview of mapping the way to mention it.

Make sure to read through posts #1 and #2 in that thread, as there are a number of limitations/gotchas to the extension you should be aware of.

Here's a very quick example of me using this extensions and some mapping tiles used as tokens on the bottom layer, item/features on the middle layer and creature tokens on the top layer:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/39085830/Screenshots/Fantasy%20Grounds/Layer%20Extension%20for%20MApping.JPG

ZaroyGr
April 25th, 2015, 17:45
that was fast! thanks a lot for the info!!! this is so close to what i was thinking of!

THANKS again!!!

damned
April 26th, 2015, 06:07
Hey ZaroyGr can you post a link to some of your stuff?
I too love using tiled to make maps from tile sets.

ZaroyGr
April 26th, 2015, 16:30
yes ofc, or we can start a new topic and share all together what we have. I ll post the link here.