PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars: Edge of Empire - Looking for Players, Tue 20:00 CEST

AstaSyneri
April 24th, 2015, 11:58
Having recently gotten the chance to play a session in the new Star Wars: Edge of the Empire RPG at FG Con I am now interested in running a game with the already pretty decent ruleset developed for it (to use those strange dice in a VTT environment - Kudos to Trenloe, btw).

I am looking for a few brave souls to play Edge of Empire, Out Rim style. I'd be playing one or two Tuesdays from 20:00 to 23:00 CEST (That's Central European Summer time, or 1800 UTC afaik). What I am looking for in you is roleplayers who love to work up a believable character and make the Star Wars world come alive. Rules (knowledge is/) are strictly of secondary important.

Caveat #1: There are no PDFs for the Star Wars RPG books, and the information for extra races and classes is a bit spread out. I do own the books I need (way not all of them yet), but making the characters you either already have at least a core rulebook (Edge of Empire, but Age of Rebellion works the same way, basically) or work closely with me to get a character done. That being said: You don't need any rulebooks, we can work things out in a character building session, but then you should at least look at the free characters (https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/products/star-wars-edge-of-the-empire/#support-section) to get an idea.

Caveat #2: Due to Copyright issues the Fantasy Grounds Ruleset only contains the mechanics for the game, aka it is "empty", meaning I'll have to enter all information we need manually. In other words: There is no library to look up rules and I'll have to do that in an analogue fashion (aka have the books on my desk while playing).

Caveat #3: While I do enjoy a good Sci-Fi setting, I am not a Star Wars geek. My knowledge of this specific universe is limited to the movies (and I don't remember much of Episode 2 or 3) and the surprisingly entertaining Star Wars Rebels animated series. So expect me to break a few things - consider my Star Wars universe to be in a close but slightly alternate dimension.

Well, here is how it would all start:

The job offer had been brief:

Experienced Starship crew needed for short time transfer assignment at excellent rates.

Prominent local enterprise is entertaining to hire a crew of experienced starfarers for straight one-way transfer of purchased spacecraft. Payment according to qualifications plus bonus due to short-term assignment. Further employment possible.

Positions to be filled:

* Starship Captain
* Starship Officer - Helmsman
* Starship Officer - Astrogation
* Starship Officer - Engineering
* Starship Officer - Communications
* Chief Security Officer

As I own the Fantasy Grounds Ultimate license, you don't have to pay anything.

Anybody interested?

Jonkar
April 24th, 2015, 13:03
I'd be interested to give it a go.

Tompa
April 24th, 2015, 13:33
I am interested! Have some of the books, including core rule books. :-)

Judgement
April 24th, 2015, 15:40
I'll join

AstaSyneri
April 24th, 2015, 16:11
Judgement - you are aware that this is set to weekday evening in Europe, correct? That would make it something like 12 o'clock noon in Nevada.

Doesn't mean you aren't welcome ;-).

Everybody: If you already have a preliminary idea what you want to play - and which (can be multiple) of the roles above your character could fill, shoot it to me via PM. The one condition I have: Ultimately there should be a reason for the character to be loyal to a group. Doesn't have to be immediately - trust builds with time after all, but I don't want any character sabotaging the group earnestly (unless I make an adventure around such circumstances depending on Obligation or such).

In other words: No assholes as PCs ;-).

AstaSyneri
April 24th, 2015, 19:12
Hey guys - I am a bit overwhelmed by you enthusiasm!

Some clarifications: For now I'd like to stick with Edge of the Empire plus published products that I own (which likely will be all next week, the way this is going :( ).

In theory it's possible to play an Age of Rebellion career, but there should be a good reasoning.

All of you are people who have star-travel related skills (which is why you responded to that add - you believe you fit the profile). What I am interested in now is concepts - shot paragraphs on what your character is, what motivates him, what his goals are, going from there. What makes your character respond to the ad, what position is he to fill.

bigboom
April 25th, 2015, 17:58
Quick question, AstaSyneri. You mentioned one or two Tuesdays. Does that mean you're planning this as a short mini-adventure to last a couple sessions? Or are you planning for this to be an ongoing campaign that would meet one or two Tuesdays per month? Thanks!!

AstaSyneri
April 26th, 2015, 23:00
Quick question, AstaSyneri. You mentioned one or two Tuesdays. Does that mean you're planning this as a short mini-adventure to last a couple sessions? Or are you planning for this to be an ongoing campaign that would meet one or two Tuesdays per month? Thanks!!

Both is possible. If we are having fun together, I don't mind making it a "campaign", however long that maybe. For now I'd like to get a group together, and have a beginning adventure. If the group gels, I'd see doing 1-2 Tuesdays per month.

We won't play next Tuesday, but I'll be online to chat with all of you who'd like to discuss their characters and how they fit the group. I have only skimmed over the concepts, but at first glance they are all incredibly similar ;-). We'll need some fixing there! :P

Tompa
April 27th, 2015, 08:14
We won't play next Tuesday, but I'll be online to chat with all of you who'd like to discuss their characters and how they fit the group. I have only skimmed over the concepts, but at first glance they are all incredibly similar ;-). We'll need some fixing there! :P

That would be great... Please post or pm details for the online chat :-)

Judgement
April 27th, 2015, 16:25
I will be looking forwards to be playing with you all.

AstaSyneri
April 27th, 2015, 22:21
That would be great... Please post or pm details for the online chat :-)

We'll meet in the FG Con TS - there is a Star Wars room that we'll use (please use your forum names) and I'll link the details to enter my FG there. I'll be there 20:00 CEST (that's 18:00 GMT), provided my kids let me ;-).

AstaSyneri
April 28th, 2015, 17:32
Getting the kids into bed now - I'll be ready about 90 minutes from now. I have already logged into TS, but I am set to AFK. See you soon!

Judgement
April 28th, 2015, 17:46
Are you going to be using FG's teamspeak?

AstaSyneri
April 28th, 2015, 20:58
Very much like what I am seeing so far (there are still three slots open):

* A Trandoshian Bounty Hunter / Helmsman
* A Human Scoundrel / Communicator
* A Rodian Mechanic who just loves tinkering with his bots

Dr_Babylon
April 29th, 2015, 06:47
Sounds awesome! If there was any hope in heck of me meeting your schedule, I'd be all over this like a zhoosha fabric cloak (nerd!). As it is, lemme just wish you guys the best.

Sigh. I never get to do the Star Wars thing...

AstaSyneri
April 30th, 2015, 10:18
Our fourth player had to bow out. With these three we do have a functioning group and will go ahead next Tuesday with our first session.

There is room however for up to three more players - so if you are interested, message me!

AstaSyneri
May 4th, 2015, 16:17
Good news: Trenloe has made the 2.0 version of his ruleset available for today's Star Wars day. This includes a lot of improvements (like the ability to mark your career skills on the character shield, an item library, etc.).

Tomorrow we'll start 1800 GMT (2000 CEST - aka "German Time"), but I'll try to get Fantasy Grounds up as early as 1600 GMT so you can log in and have a look around the updated version (and download it).

Tompa
May 5th, 2015, 07:15
That's great news. Was wondering when Trenloe will be making it available to the public. :-)

I'll probably be around 20 CEST there since I am working until 1900 hrs.

AstaSyneri
May 5th, 2015, 09:02
Don't worry - we'll have to spend the first hour getting the extra characters ready anyway - there are three additional players incoming. I am very much looking forward to it.

AstaSyneri
May 6th, 2015, 16:29
Things we did not wrap up last night:

What happened to those Araphian Croakers you were lugging with you? I assume you forgot it in the Cantina after the fight?

Secondly: Flying up on the ship, you noticed that it really stank aboard.

Thirdly: Before you took off, Emerald used her comlink and an R-unit pulling a largish crate on a grav sled came aboard. Asked what that was, Emerald would have told you "my belongings".

Lastly: I need to find a place to put this stuff ;-). My Obsidian Portal contingent is exhausted right now, I'd have to delete a campaign or pay up. Might be worth it, if we play more. I'll look into that.

Tompa
May 6th, 2015, 16:33
Nice, so we managed to get off the planet. Was there mich trouble with the capatina and the spaceport control?

As for the Araphian Croakers, I took it :-) - if I didn't, would have made sure to get back to cantina and take it before we left...

Judgement
May 6th, 2015, 20:22
The trandoshan is the captain now, after biting off the head of the Gorrian captain. Mmmm bakon

AstaSyneri
May 6th, 2015, 20:44
Well, I'll let your rethink the part about the Araphian Croakers...

Next session Tuesday, May 12th, 1800 GMT (same time) is okay for me - provided everybody else is on board. Expect to be able to answer a few questions about why you are doing this kind of job (background/motivation/obligation). We'll look a bit closer at that next time.

keldon
May 6th, 2015, 23:33
I finish work at 1800 so I'll be an hour late to start.

AstaSyneri
May 7th, 2015, 12:51
No problem at all (you advertised that when I asked you to join). And there won't anybody for your Rodian to intimidate during that time, anyways. Promise! ;-)

AstaSyneri
May 12th, 2015, 15:15
Previously...

Session 1: Answering an add for a galactic milk run, a motley crew assembled in Mos Shuuta on Tatooine. As it turned out a scarred Twi'Lek interview and then accepted them without fail, but did put them in a tight situation by placing a container with (supposedly) Araphian Croakers in their lap, that belonged to the local crime bosses daughter.

Apart from the needing Ethanol, a group of Gamorrean thugs chased the group into the nearby Cantina, only to be mowed down mercilessly by the PCs. Who knows, maybe they just wanted to talk? Before the Gamorreans could reinforce, the group managed to convince the local junk trader to part with an HMRI, without which the only spaceworthy ship in town couldn't fly.

After the arrival at the spaceport the group quickly dispatched two security droids and managed to convince the Trandoshan captain to take them up to refueling station 5 in orbit (for a fee, of course). A quick mission to the spaceport control building illicitly gave them permission to start (and released the docking clamps), and off they went.

Session 2 is tonight, 1800 GMT (same time, same place, same password)

keldon
May 13th, 2015, 10:13
Thanks for another good night. Everyone agreed next Tuesday would be great if you can make it same time.

AstaSyneri
May 16th, 2015, 12:26
Thanks for another good night. Everyone agreed next Tuesday would be great if you can make it same time.

In that case (and if everyone is game), we'll meet next Tuesday again, same time. Keeperofsouls has informed me that unfortunately he work schedule has changed and that Tuesday won't work any more :(.

Still not sure what happened to Pyrowolf that evening.

AstaSyneri
May 17th, 2015, 23:45
Pyrowolf had something else come up and unfortunately has to quit as well. That leaves us with a theoretical 3 spots open.

Tompa
May 18th, 2015, 06:53
So unfortunate... There are still enough of us, but would be great if we had more people in the group.

AstaSyneri
May 19th, 2015, 12:18
Previously...

Session 2: Meeting up with a small Starliner at refueling station 5, the group is glad to be out of the Trandoshian Bounty Hunter's (?) stinking crate. The scarred Twi'lek is there, as promised and hands over a deed that supposedly is good for getting a ship at the shipyards in Dac. Garr'Ash's DNA is entered into the deed as the owner.

The Twi'lek then left the ship onboard the Trandoshians YT-1200. Soon after the group found a sabotaged engineering bot as well as a explosives-rigged hyperdrive, which was summarily disarmed. Now the 30-hour journey to Dac (Mon Calamari) could have been uneventful, hadn't the group opened the container holding the Araphian Croaker. This - or what it mutated into not getting ethanol in time - exploded out in a spray of muck and hid in the air vents. Setting traps for it unfortunately did not yield any results.

Arriving on Dac Shipyard #127 the group barely got off the ship and through customs before the docking bay was shut down due to a biological hazard. They met with the customer service representative Kal Workin. The group pressured him outright to waive the accrued docking fees and now has cleared everything with the shipyard, but there supposedly is a little red flag the Empire has put on the ship.

They also learned:
1. The ship has a lot of red "delivered/not installed" markers, software, interior equipment
2. The ship is insured by Crescent Shield insurers, Corellia.

At session's end they exited the little office to go elsewhere, leaving behind a very agitated Kal Workin.

Session 3 is tonight, 1800 GMT (same time, same place, same password)

keldon
May 19th, 2015, 17:30
I know this is rather late but just got home to find a house of ill kids and wife so I won't be able to make it tonight

AstaSyneri
May 19th, 2015, 19:02
I know this is rather late but just got home to find a house of ill kids and wife so I won't be able to make it tonight

Ahh, it is late, and this basically cancels the session, but I totally understand. Been there myself... Next session would be Tuesday in two weeks, if everybody can schedule that.

chaosargen
May 20th, 2015, 02:47
hey i dont know if im too late to join or anything, but i'd like to join XD

AstaSyneri
May 20th, 2015, 09:53
hey i dont know if im too late to join or anything, but i'd like to join XD

No, not too late - we still have slots open. Send me a PM with what you'd like to play (just a concept - I have to see how it would fit the group), and a bit of information about yourself, please.

AstaSyneri
June 1st, 2015, 08:34
Next session tomorrow night, 1800 GMT. We are still at three regulars, so newcomers are welcome.

The group currently is trying to fetch a ship from the Mon Calamari shipyards around Dac, but things have started to go wrong. They let lose some kind of space creature on the ship they came with, which now had to be quarantined and they alienated the shipyard representative who got them through the quarantine before it closed.

Who knows what will happen this time?

X-baby longshot
June 1st, 2015, 12:34
Do you still have room? Very interested!

AstaSyneri
June 2nd, 2015, 09:03
Do you still have room? Very interested!

Sent you a message.

WarAdmiral
June 4th, 2015, 19:20
I am interested if there is still room. I am new to EotE and FG(played a buch on R20).

AstaSyneri
June 17th, 2015, 19:35
Playing tonight (still waiting for Judgment). Still trying to get that ship out of dock 127-8 Emicron. :D