PDA

View Full Version : Working on a (very basic) DCC RPG ruleset

leozelig
April 24th, 2015, 01:24
Here are a couple screenshots. I will probably need help with making it do anything cool. Currently this is just a character sheet with number and dice fields that the player can manually populate.

I recently posted a screenshot of the main page here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?23886-Question-regarding-dice&p=208067#post208067).

Mask_of_winter
April 24th, 2015, 01:43
Nice! I'm sure all the hard work will be worth it in the end.

GunnarGreybeard
April 24th, 2015, 05:50
Looks good. I wish I had the skills/knowledge to get that far on a ruleset. :-(

Mistamichal
April 24th, 2015, 09:19
Great stuff. Can't wait to see it in action.

Kelendor
April 25th, 2015, 02:58
Looking good man,keep it going!

leozelig
April 25th, 2015, 03:01
Updated screenshot... Feel free to post comments or feedback. On the spells tab, I thought about having just a single line for disapproval and corruption, like the deity and patron lines, but in the end, I decided more room was needed. It's a little more cluttered this way though.

None of these fields are linked or auto-populate. It's all manual data entry right now. Next, I want to get double click working with number fields (add to modifier stack) and dice fields (roll the dice). This is already set up for CoreRPG, so hopefully I can figure out how to apply those scripts to this.

Kelendor
April 25th, 2015, 03:17
Sweet man,I really like how clean the sheet is.

leozelig
April 26th, 2015, 17:30
Updated screenshots...

Got the weapon list working, but it doesn't handle dice rolls yet. The modifiers do auto-populate from the appropriate fields, I just haven't set up the dice roll scripts yet. Curious why the shortcut icon (red dragon) is not showing, just an empty box...

I have ability checks working now... Thank you 3.5E ruleset! The ability bonuses auto-populate now, too.

If anyone knows how to set up a spell list, I want something similar to the Goodman Games character sheet (image attached). I want to add the checkoff/checkon icon to the far-left column of each spell to indicate when a it has failed and is therefore lost for the day.

Trenloe
April 26th, 2015, 17:49
Curious why the shortcut icon (red dragon) is not showing, just an empty box...
Do you have a valid class related to the windowreferencecontrol definition? And a valid <icon>?

More info here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/refdoc/windowreferencecontrol.xcp

leozelig
April 27th, 2015, 00:47
Do you have a valid class related to the windowreferencecontrol definition? And a valid <icon>?

More info here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/refdoc/windowreferencecontrol.xcp

The icon is present for abilities, so it must be missing a valid class. I will work my way back to that I guess, maybe after I get the spells going a little more. I need to go back and clean things up a bit anyway.

leozelig
May 2nd, 2015, 05:01
Progress update...

I added a column for ability damage, which is also where you would track spellburn and luck burned. As you can see, my cleric has burned 5 luck points in his career, which has reduced his luck to 8 (i.e. 12 - 5 = 8) and changed his ability mod to -1. When he rolls his fumble die, this is added to the roll.

Still tweaking the combat tab, but the char sheet is pretty functional. I am going to work on NPCs, the combat tracker, and items next. If it's not completely broken when I'm finished, then I will claim victory :D

Kelendor
May 2nd, 2015, 05:04
Great job man! looks good.

leozelig
May 2nd, 2015, 21:48
Thanks! The code is getting seriously bloated. I will need to clean it up at some point...

Here is the NPC sheet. If you are familiar with the rulebook, the fields will make sense. Goodman Games insists on using missile fire from the old days, but I am sticking with ranged because that is more familiar these days :)

As you can see, the attacks are showing damage types because I am using the 3.5E script. Those will be removed before I am finished...

Kelendor
May 2nd, 2015, 22:01
Awesome!

leozelig
May 3rd, 2015, 21:09
Ok, one more screenshot. The combat tracker seems to be working after very limited testing. I will probably remove all effects handling other than the absolute basics like AC, ATK, etc.

There are a couple things I want to add still. I don't plan on including any modules with classes, monsters, spells, etc. This is intended to be used with a rulebook in your hands. The code borrows heavily from 3.5E... I hope that's ok - the rules are very similar really.

damned
May 3rd, 2015, 23:36
Keep it coming leozelig!

Werd
May 4th, 2015, 08:49
Nice work! I was just introduced to DCC recently and have been thinking of running a couple of one shots to try it out. Looking for testers?

leozelig
May 4th, 2015, 18:02
I should have something testable by the end of the month. I haven't really tested token targeting and effects in combat, so depends on how many bugs pop up with that! It would be nice to get hit/miss notification and damage application at least. There are a few bells and whistles I can leave out for now - result checking and things like that.

leozelig
May 5th, 2015, 04:19
Well, I'm pretty satisfied with my weapons section, so I had to post another screenshot. If you click the box with the dice name, it cycles through the dice chain (from d10 to d30). I also created a checkbox in the initiative section for two-handed weapons that rolls a d16 for initiative, also quite handy.

I am going to work on the deed die next, so I will post another screenshot if I figure it out. Worst case, the deed die can be rolled separately and dragged from the chat window to the modifier stack before the attack/damage rolls. Not as cool, but it works...

Kelendor
May 5th, 2015, 04:23
Cool man.I wish i had the patience to do all that lol.

leozelig
May 5th, 2015, 12:41
Yeah, it take a lot of time, that's for sure. It's fun, but time seems to speed up, and next thing you know it's a couple hours later!

damned
May 5th, 2015, 14:15
Yeah, it take a lot of time, that's for sure. It's fun, but time seems to speed up, and next thing you know it's a couple hours later!

The other thing that happens to me is if I stop working on it for a couple of days... I forget EVERYTHING and have to relearn it all over again.

Dakadin
May 5th, 2015, 19:11
The other thing that happens to me is if I stop working on it for a couple of days... I forget EVERYTHING and have to relearn it all over again.

Very true. I tend to gain momentum the more I work on it. Then after a break of a few days, it takes awhile to get back to the same level.

Trenloe
May 5th, 2015, 19:44
I forget EVERYTHING and have to relearn it all over again.
Yeah, I hate that. When *you* forget everything I mean... ;)

damned
May 6th, 2015, 05:36
Yeah, I hate that. When *you* forget everything I mean... ;)

Yes you do! I keep all the notes you send me and I document as much as I can - but Im a stupid bugger.

leozelig
May 8th, 2015, 03:23
Anyone know how to convert a string value to all lower case? I need to check whether the PC is a warrior or a dwarf. I have been working on getting the "deed die" to add to attack and damage rolls for the past couple days. Thanks to debug.console, I am very close! Maybe I will post another screenshot over the weekend.

Only a few more items on my list, but progress has been slower as things get a little more complicated. Still hoping to have something finished by the end of the month...

Trenloe
May 8th, 2015, 03:26
Anyone know how to convert a string value to all lower case?
youlowercasevariable = string.lower(yourvariable)

https://lua-users.org/wiki/StringLibraryTutorial

damned
May 8th, 2015, 03:27
myString = string.lower(myString)

or

myString = myString:lower()

EDIT: Ninja Strikes Again

leozelig
May 8th, 2015, 03:28
I knew you guys would know - thanks! :)

Trenloe
May 8th, 2015, 03:31
EDIT: Ninja Strikes Again
From 36,000 feet. No one is safe! ;)

Dakadin
May 8th, 2015, 03:37
From 36,000 feet. No one is safe! ;)

LOL. That's awesome that you are faster on a plane than us mere mortals sitting at a computer. ;)

leozelig
May 9th, 2015, 23:20
This is what I have done so far this week:

Deed die mechanic is working!
Critical hit determination applied to non-d20 rolls
Critical threat range (for warriors) applies for crit determination
Fixed bonus calculation for ability checks (displayed on sheet right, but not for rolls)
Weapon and armor categories added for items
Drag and double-click added for armor check penalty (modifier)
Changed skills & abilities to more open format (similar to CoreRPG main tab)
Added 'Lost / Not Lost' check box for spells

I need to work on spells a little more. Then, I am going to test the combat tracker, effects, and token targeting... Hopefully, it's not a complete mess!

leozelig
May 11th, 2015, 00:07
I am getting some weird error for the onHealthChanged function for wounds. I am using the hp/wounds code straight out of 3.5E, kind of perplexing. I wonder if I am missing an onInit script somewhere since it's happening on opening the char sheet, not just when dropping wounds in the combat tracker. Maybe I will post more info if I can't figure it out. Otherwise my combat test seemed to go pretty well.

I spent most of my time today cleaning up 'static height ignored' ruleset warnings! :)

Edit: Figured out the onHealthChanged error...

leozelig
May 11th, 2015, 02:46
Here are a couple shots of the latest version... It doesn't look much different than the last screenshot, but I have done quite a bit of work under the hood so that effects will work properly.

I need to re-work the spells tab so that the 'base spell check' control is linked to level and ability scores (again, so effects will work). I am going to condense them into one and use a string cycler (like saves and initiative). Currently, these are basicnumber controls with a simple script for dice rolls. I would like to set up a check for disapproval and misfire/corruption if possible.

The ability and skill lists are pretty dysfunctional right now, too, but the appearance will remain the same...

leozelig
May 19th, 2015, 12:01
I am just fixing effects bonuses and cleaning things up now. I should have the ruleset ready to share by next week if I don't encounter any major obstacles.

I do not have any rules contained in the ruleset besides a few automated functions like adding spell caster level to the roll on a critical hit. Is this something that requires permission from Goodman Games to share, do you think?

damned
May 19th, 2015, 13:26
leozelig rule mechanics cannot be copyrighted. you are free to release a ruleset without permission so long as it does not contain Product Identity...

Product Identity (or PI)

...product and product line names, logos and identifying marks including trade dress; artifacts; creatures characters; stories, storylines, plots, thematic elements, dialogue, incidents, language, artwork, symbols, designs, depictions, likenesses, formats, poses, concepts, themes and graphic, photographic and other visual or audio representations; names and descriptions of characters, spells, enchantments, personalities, teams, personas, likenesses and special abilities; places, locations, environments, creatures, equipment, magical or supernatural abilities or effects, logos, symbols, or graphic designs; and any other trademark or registered trademark...

Product Identity is content covered by normal copyright.

Tensers Floating Disk is PI but a Magical Floating Disk is completely usable.
A system where you must roll a d14 and beat a target number is not copyright protected.

leozelig
May 20th, 2015, 01:50
Ok, thanks! I don't think I have any copyright protected material in there based on your post, damned...

hawkwind
May 21st, 2015, 08:23
really looking forward to this and wondering how i can combibe it with this https://purplesorcerer.com/crawler/crawler.htm

leozelig
May 21st, 2015, 11:54
really looking forward to this and wondering how i can combibe it with this https://purplesorcerer.com/crawler/crawler.htm

I am very close to releasing what I have. You are welcome to build on it!

I am trying to clean up damage types and effects, but currently everything is functioning. I borrowed token effect icons from the D&D rulesets, but most of my effects are purely for tracking purposes (no imbedded modifiers). I will keep working on that. I have a lot of bloated code also, but my efforts to clean it up have had mixed results.

leozelig
May 24th, 2015, 06:10
I believe I have done everything I can do with the DCCRPG ruleset. I have not tested things like DMGO and IMMUNE/RESIST/VULN, which I am going to leave alone for now. The essential functions are working for me, so I will post the ruleset (where?) tomorrow if I have time.

I make no promises for future maintenance :)

damned
May 24th, 2015, 08:07
leozelig if you are concerned about future maintenance - and it is a very real concern - make sure you keep a copy of the current CoreRPG 3.0.13
If later versions break DCC and you cant/wont maintain it - you could merge your layered ruleset into your 3.0.13 core and re-release it as a standalone ruleset.
That way future updates wont break it.

leozelig
May 24th, 2015, 12:07
Thanks, damned! How do you layer the ruleset? There are several files I left untouched from CoreRPG, so I might be interested in doing this now. What are the advantages/disadvantages?

I tried getting rid of some of the extraneous code, but it didn't take much to mess everything up. I am not interested in chasing errors, so I left it pretty encumbered with that.

damned
May 24th, 2015, 12:51
I havent seen your ruleset but it sounds like you took 3.5e and updated it for DCC.
3.5e is a CoreRPG ruleset - so it first loads CoreRPG and then it loads 3.5e - or in your case it might load CoreRPG and then DCC or CoreRPG and then 3.5e and then DCC....

Advantage of folding it all back into one ruleset is that if its all working now it is likely to all work going forward (although big changes like Unity/FG4 might rock that boat).
Disadvantage - you will no longer get any new features that get developed for/in CoreRPG and the ruleset is larger for players initial download.

How to do it... Back everything you have up first!
Extract CoreRPG and then look at each of your files.
If they replace a CoreRPG file - replace it in the CoreRPG file..
If they replace only a Window Class - do that in the CoreRPG file.
If they add a Window Class ...
If they add some extra files - add them to base.xml in CoreRPG and into the file system...

Test regularly.... it could be a sizeable job... but then it should be set and forget...

Trenloe
May 24th, 2015, 15:16
If you really want to make it static for the current version of CoreRPG you could make a copy of the CoreRPG.pak file and rename it CoreRPG4DCC.pak (or something similar) and change your DCC ruleset to use CoreRPG4DCC. This would reduce your work considerably, and give the option for someone else to maintain/update DCC for future CoreRPG releases.

You'd need to include both pak files with your ruleset release.

leozelig
May 24th, 2015, 18:24
I will leave it as a standalone ruleset for now. I started with CoreRPG and then cut chunks of code from 3.5E that I wanted to use as I built the character sheet. Created ability scores and then added the manager_actions_ability file, chopping things out that I clearly didn't need and modifying other parts to match up with DCC rules. I looked at C&C for ability bonus calculation and a simple weapon list. Spells and a few other things were created from scratch. So it's a great big Frankenstein monster now, but more 3.5E than anything else. Probably not enough to layer on 3.5E though... CoreRPG would make more sense there I think, but sounds like a job for another day.

primarch
May 24th, 2015, 18:36
Hi!

Des your ruleset handle all those DCC odd die types? In other words does it "roll" (as in animation) the odd die types?

Primarch

leozelig
May 24th, 2015, 20:44
Hi!

Des your ruleset handle all those DCC odd die types? In other words does it "roll" (as in animation) the odd die types?

Primarch

I did not fix the animation glitch where the incorrect number shows for custom dice rolls.

The funky dice are custom dice contained in the radial menus for the standard dice, which I currently have arranged according to the workaround suggestions. For example, the d5 is contained in the d10 menu, d7 in the d8 menu, etc. The other option was to group them together in the dF menu. In this case, the animation uses that 6-sided +/- die for all rolls, and when grouped together, the dice are sorted according to the first digit (d14-d16-d2-d24-d3-d30-d5-d7), which annoys me.

leozelig
May 24th, 2015, 20:53
I just checked DMGO, RESIST, VULN, and IMMUNE, and they all seem to work. I don't know why they were not working for me before... I might create some images to demonstrate the basic features. I think it's pretty self-explanatory if you have experience with DCC RPG and FG.

damned
May 24th, 2015, 23:11
If you really want to make it static for the current version of CoreRPG you could make a copy of the CoreRPG.pak file and rename it CoreRPG4DCC.pak (or something similar) and change your DCC ruleset to use CoreRPG4DCC. This would reduce your work considerably, and give the option for someone else to maintain/update DCC for future CoreRPG releases.

You'd need to include both pak files with your ruleset release.

ohhh! so simple - that is a much easier solution!

damned
May 24th, 2015, 23:13
I just checked DMGO, RESIST, VULN, and IMMUNE, and they all seem to work. I don't know why they were not working for me before... I might create some images to demonstrate the basic features. I think it's pretty self-explanatory if you have experience with DCC RPG and FG.

i found that when changing stuff that directly affects PCs that i often had to create new PCs after the changes to correctly pick up the new effects/changes.

leozelig
May 26th, 2015, 00:47
One last post of screenshots before I make the ruleset available. Anyone know if that DCC RPG logo would be copyright infringement? I hope the content posted in a couple of my screenshots isn't violating copyright either... let me know and I will take them out.

damned
May 26th, 2015, 01:32
leozelig posting of limited content in screenshots is permissible. if you were ever issued a complaint or a cease and desist you would comply by taking down the offending material upon receipt and that would usually be the end of it. use of a companies logo in a piece of fan material is generally ok providing you are in no way tarnishing or damaging their brand through the use of their logo. the logo is very much "in the public domain" but is not public domain if that makes sense.
i would perhaps add something like unofficial community ruleset below and not covering the logo in any way if you have any concerns.

you could go down this route: https://www.goodman-games.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=70&t=21421 if you wanted to make it more than a community product.

Trenloe
May 26th, 2015, 02:17
I'd recommend including more info in the chat window message. Like DCC is a trademark of... and other such terms. See the message I display in the Star Wars: Edge of the Empire ruleset. You might not need all of that message, but it gives you an idea - usually mention trademarks and that the ruleset in no way challenges those trademarks.

damned
May 26th, 2015, 02:22
Yeah - acknowledging the owner of the product and their trademarks or copyright and that your product is not licensed or affiliated with Goodman Games. All of these things assist in showing that you are acting in good faith and acting within the law and that you are in no way mis-representing what your product is.

leozelig
May 26th, 2015, 02:23
Ok, I will look at the Star Wars ruleset. Thanks for the advice!

Edit: How's this? I will make the ruleset available tomorrow...

damned
May 26th, 2015, 04:50
I think the "compatible with DCC RPG" logo is for licensed products only. Better using the standard logo perhaps?

leozelig
May 26th, 2015, 12:31
Maybe, i don't really know. Maybe I will just contact them and see if it's ok for me to use it. They have been very open to 3rd party products, but I have seen posts here about how unreceptive GG has been to digital tabletop products. I find that surprising really, knowing how they approach other products. Is it possible those permissions were requested closer to the initial launch in 2012 and GG was more restrictive then?

damned
May 26th, 2015, 13:15
asking them cant hurt. others here have built community/unofficial rulesets with the permission of the copyright holders.

otherwise use the standard logo.
i know that sounds stupid but the "compatible with dcc rpg" logo is specifically for licensed products.
if you look at lots of companies websites they list some of their clients and often show those clients logos. its pretty much accepted practice.
you are adding your disclaimer with the logo and if GG make any complaint you will comply with their requests/demands.

these are only my 5c worth of opinions.

leozelig
May 26th, 2015, 17:52
I won't post it until I hear from GG.

driador
May 26th, 2015, 19:37
Sorry I'm a little late to the conversation here, but a few weeks ago, I contacted GG to ask,

"I recently purchased a copy of Fantasy Grounds and was curious what the chances are we might see an official DCC ruleset for FG? And if that's not a possibility, is there any chance I and others could work on a community developed DCC ruleset for the system? For non-commercial use of course."

Their response, albeit brief, was good news,

"FG - nothing official planned. If you want to work on something unofficial, just loop us in"

Granted, that wasn't signed with any name, so that could have been Joseph himself or a shipping lackey... I really don't know. Either way, that's a start in assuming that they won't have a problem with a community ruleset.

leozelig
May 27th, 2015, 01:58
Sorry I'm a little late to the conversation here, but a few weeks ago, I contacted GG to ask,

"I recently purchased a copy of Fantasy Grounds and was curious what the chances are we might see an official DCC ruleset for FG? And if that's not a possibility, is there any chance I and others could work on a community developed DCC ruleset for the system? For non-commercial use of course."

Their response, albeit brief, was good news,

"FG - nothing official planned. If you want to work on something unofficial, just loop us in"

Granted, that wasn't signed with any name, so that could have been Joseph himself or a shipping lackey... I really don't know. Either way, that's a start in assuming that they won't have a problem with a community ruleset.

Thanks, driador, that's very encouraging. I sent them an email, so as soon as I hear something, I will post here. Unfortunately, I am going to hold on to the ruleset until then.

I can live with using the generic FG logo if necessary.

driador
May 27th, 2015, 03:43
No worries Leozelig; I can wait. I just wanted to mention my own correspondence with GG. I'm sure you'll hear back from them shortly enough; I know it took a few days before I got a response from them.

leozelig
June 3rd, 2015, 03:17
Just an update... I have exchanged emails with Goodman Games, waiting to hear back. In the meantime, I have cleaned up a couple things in the code, and I am putting the finishing touches on a user guide.

Where exactly would I post this thing if I get the ok from GG?

damned
June 3rd, 2015, 03:28
Create a New Thread in the CoreRPG Rulesets
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?66-CoreRPG-(Generic-Ruleset)-And-Other-Game-Systems
with a suitable title.

If you want to write some instructions I will create a Wiki entry for it.

leozelig
June 4th, 2015, 01:38
Create a New Thread in the CoreRPG Rulesets
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?66-CoreRPG-(Generic-Ruleset)-And-Other-Game-Systems
with a suitable title.

If you want to write some instructions I will create a Wiki entry for it.

Ok, thanks! I created a pdf for the user guide, but it's too large to post as an attachment here.

leozelig
June 7th, 2015, 17:29
No word yet, but I did modify the spell list so you can roll the spell check with dice other than a d20.

I created a details subwindow similar to weapons. There are still very rare situations where the character sheet might not be able to handle the dice roll.

I also set it up to calculate success and failure, and to increase the disapproval range for clerics on a failure.

leozelig
June 7th, 2015, 23:59
Ahh, the potential...

driador
June 8th, 2015, 02:24
Be patient... I know that a number of those guys are at North Texas Con (or packing in and heading back now), and Origins is also occurring or will occur very soon. For that matter though, I'm quite excited (and thankful for your hard work) about this. I have a slew of their content to convert to modules when the time comes, including the re-released and expanded copies of Judges Guild's Tegel Manor and Citadel of Fire.

Nonetheless, that looks excellent leo!

Brenn
June 8th, 2015, 04:39
I too am looking forward to this. Might even get in there and tinker a bit if you get it in the public. DCC is something I think is quite cool in concept. Only run one thing in it, but having it on FG will let me do more, which is good...

leozelig
June 10th, 2015, 01:37
I too am looking forward to this. Might even get in there and tinker a bit if you get it in the public. DCC is something I think is quite cool in concept. Only run one thing in it, but having it on FG will let me do more, which is good...

Go ahead and tinker! I have updated it twice since I finished it (FG 3.1.0 and 3.1.1), so I will just be happy to release it :)

On the upside, the spells tab is better than what I would have originally released.

driador
June 12th, 2015, 22:24
FWIW, I went ahead and started a thread over on Goodman Games' forum to see if we could get a generic blessing to do such. That way, it could be useful to others later on down the road.

https://www.goodman-games.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=47292

leozelig
June 13th, 2015, 02:30
FWIW, I went ahead and started a thread over on Goodman Games' forum to see if we could get a generic blessing to do such. That way, it could be useful to others later on down the road.

https://www.goodman-games.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=47292

Thank you, I am ok with that! I was just thinking about sending another email actually, but I will hold out a little longer.

damned
June 14th, 2015, 14:54
hey leozelig - will you be running a DCC session at FGDaze?
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?24687-FGDaze-has-arrived!

leozelig
June 14th, 2015, 17:39
hey leozelig - will you be running a DCC session at FGDaze?
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?24687-FGDaze-has-arrived!

I would love to, but I am not available that day. If my plans change then I will definitely post a game, but Saturdays are tough for me.

damned
June 14th, 2015, 23:19
Darn you Real Life!

ianmward
June 15th, 2015, 09:06
Life (even Real Life) is much better than the alternative...

leozelig
June 17th, 2015, 13:02
I emailed Goodman Games again, since it has been 2+ weeks since my last email. Hopefully, I will hear something soon.

damned
June 17th, 2015, 13:29
leozelig if you dont hear from them strip the logo and release it! dont keep all that goodness locked away in the darkness of your feverished mind!

leozelig
June 17th, 2015, 23:26
leozelig if you dont hear from them strip the logo and release it! dont keep all that goodness locked away in the darkness of your feverished mind!

Yeah, I agree. I personally think that the few graphics I am using are not a big deal either, but I don't know anything about copyright law.

I figured I would give them until Monday, then I will post it for the community.

leozelig
June 21st, 2015, 16:50
Well, I heard back from Goodman Games, and the graphics are out. I guess that's no surprise, and not a big deal really.

They also expressed concern about the spell descriptions that are linked to the character sheet and contain details about duration, range, etc. I sent him some screenshots in a pdf file and explained that none of this information is provided by me - they are just blank fields. I don't see how they can possibly block that. I just hope they don't take 2 more weeks to get back to me... doesn't seem like a nice way to treat a fan who is trying to promote their product.

damned
June 21st, 2015, 23:12
Well, I heard back from Goodman Games, and the graphics are out. I guess that's no surprise, and not a big deal really.

They also expressed concern about the spell descriptions that are linked to the character sheet and contain details about duration, range, etc. I sent him some screenshots in a pdf file and explained that none of this information is provided by me - they are just blank fields. I don't see how they can possibly block that. I just hope they don't take 2 more weeks to get back to me... doesn't seem like a nice way to treat a fan who is trying to promote their product.

These are completely blank when the ruleset ships? players enter this data themselves? then GG can express concern but thats it - you are not distributing any copyright material any more than if you were distributing a blank piece of paper for someone to copy a spell onto for their own use. Its a disappointing response for sure but it does not actually hold any sway.

Trenloe
June 21st, 2015, 23:39
I'm sure it's that they're not really that knowledgeable with VTTs/Fantasy Grounds and so are erring on the side of caution until they know more/get confirmation of what of their IP (if any) is included.

Nylanfs
June 22nd, 2015, 00:08
I have talked to Goodman Games a couple of times for PCGen, I always came away with the impression that they don't understand or are terribly interested in anything digital.

leozelig
June 22nd, 2015, 12:20
I have talked to Goodman Games a couple of times for PCGen, I always came away with the impression that they don't understand or are terribly interested in anything digital.

I have the same impression after exchanging a few emails.

Ruleset shared here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?24890-DCC-RPG-Ruleset).