PDA

View Full Version : Game Option, Chat: Show results to client

Griogre
April 23rd, 2015, 20:31
In the "Game Option, Chat: Show results to client," I am not seeing a difference between the PC and Off options. Is it because I'm connecting as a player via local host as a second instance? I've assumed that this option means only the PC sees something but that doesn't seem to be true?

Does anyone know?

Zacchaeus
April 23rd, 2015, 22:20
In the "Game Option, Chat: Show results to client," I am not seeing a difference between the PC and Off options. Is it because I'm connecting as a player via local host as a second instance? I've assumed that this option means only the PC sees something but that doesn't seem to be true?

Does anyone know?

Yes, I think you are right. I remember that we went through all the options when we started playing because if I was connected myself I could see no difference between PC and Off either. However my players only saw the roll that their own characters made if the PC option was set. (IIRC - I'm prepared to be wrong -- again :) )

Moon Wizard
April 25th, 2015, 22:48
Here's how the option is designed to work. If you are seeing differently, then let me know which roll you are seeing issue with, and which combatants are rolling (source and target of roll). Also, note that the roll and the result are two different pieces of information (i.e. for an attack roll, the roll is the dice rolled and all of the modifiers; and the result is whether it is a hit/miss).

* If the option is "Off", then result messages are only shown to the GM, never to the players.
* If the option is "On", then result messages are always shown to both the GM and players.
* If the option is "PC", then result messages are always shown to GM; but are only shown to players if roll source actor is missing or friendly and roll target actor is missing or friendly. If a non-friendly source or target is involved, the result is hidden.

I've attached an example of the option set to "PC" from GM perspective (picture 1) and Player perspective (picture 2).

Regards,
JPG

Griogre
April 25th, 2015, 23:51
Hmm, so the PC setting just shows friendly vs. friendly attacks to the players plus missing actor attacks. I'm afraid I'm not sure how a missing actor vs. friendly or vice versa would be generated.

Moon Wizard
April 26th, 2015, 00:17
Friendly vs. missing is easy, just make an attack roll without a target. The other is more rare (missing vs. friendly), but I think the party sheet group attack vs. party qualifies.

Cheers,
JPG

Griogre
April 26th, 2015, 00:56
Well - that was not how I was expecting it to work, I thought it would have to do with NPC vs. a specific PC and only that client with the PC seeing the results of the NPC attack or the client with the PC making the attack vs. an NPC being the only client to see the results.

That is interesting knowledge on the party sheet attacks. That might be really useful when there are a few monsters on each (most) PCs.

Moon Wizard
April 26th, 2015, 05:12
Maybe I should rename to friendly.

JPG

Griogre
April 26th, 2015, 05:37
I don't really see that helping a lot, unfortunately; since I would expect people to think it would be party vs. NPCs somehow. I'm curious as to what led to the development of the setting since I can't really see that much PvP in most RPGs.

Moon Wizard
April 26th, 2015, 20:05
It's to allow the GM to hide the results of any rolls between enemy NPCs or between an NPC and a PC. Only results between PCs are shown.

So, players will not know whether they hit a creature, or how much resistance affected their damage roll; however, they will be able to see how much they healed an ally and how it affected their health status.

Regards,
JPG