PDA

View Full Version : CoreRPG usability - officially added comments/annotations?

AstaSyneri
April 23rd, 2015, 09:49
Hello!

Being stuck between actually doing some proper programming coursework (updating my ancient computer skills that now seem quite... analogue) and doing my first FG ruleset programming I am a bit surprised (unpleasantly) at the source code.

We all know (?) that documentation is not the strong suit of FG, but would it be too much to ask to at least do a few comments in the CoreRPG source files?

Just having a few explanations at the top of each file, what the file is doing, and then maybe at major sections - how these sections interact with parts in other files - or just the fact THAT and what parts they interact with in other files, would be a tremendous time saver.

In other words: Could the powers that be ammend the files to make them just a bit more transparent? I am having quite a few troubles reading other people's code (might be a lacking practice thing).

Or has anybody done such an overview and is willing to share them (yes, I have had a look at damned's Maelstrom ruleset and basically he IS noting down everything he is or is not understanding, but this is only of limited help for me).

damned
April 23rd, 2015, 10:28
Hello!

Being stuck between actually doing some proper programming coursework (updating my ancient computer skills that now seem quite... analogue) and doing my first FG ruleset programming I am a bit surprised (unpleasantly) at the source code.

We all know (?) that documentation is not the strong suit of FG, but would it be too much to ask to at least do a few comments in the CoreRPG source files?

Just having a few explanations at the top of each file, what the file is doing, and then maybe at major sections - how these sections interact with parts in other files - or just the fact THAT and what parts they interact with in other files, would be a tremendous time saver.

In other words: Could the powers that be ammend the files to make them just a bit more transparent? I am having quite a few troubles reading other people's code (might be a lacking practice thing).

Or has anybody done such an overview and is willing to share them (yes, I have had a look at damned's Maelstrom ruleset and basically he IS noting down everything he is or is not understanding, but this is only of limited help for me).

Asta - have a look at the MoreCore extension. Its a lot lighter than Maelstrom AND its got MORE comments.
Its got an extra TAB on the PC sheet.
Its got several PC Sheet fields linked to the Combat Tracker.
Its got 2 extra fields in the NPC sheet.
Its got up to 5 extra columns on the Combat Tracker.
Its got some extra dice.

And its got better comments.

AstaSyneri
April 23rd, 2015, 11:02
I'll do that. The application I want to do rather uses less tabs, doesn't use a Combat Tracker, etc. as it is for the Zombicide board game (supposedly FG programming with Training Wheels). It shouldn't be so hard to figure out.

Basically, though, I want to understand the CoreRPG better in order to do _any_ conversion. IMHO it's paramount that this can be done as easily as possibly, if we want to have quality "fringe" RPG systems.

In my (limited) experience having a quality and good-looking ruleset enhances the RPG experience with FG immensely. Currently the GM is pretty much left alone: Traditionally he has to buy all the books/PDFs, come up with the adventure (preparation), be the rules arbiter, and run the adventure. Now he has to program the ruleset (immensely difficult at this point, because he does not get "any" inherent support except when asking on these forums) and still has to put all the content into the version.

In my opinion this is the one huge problem GMs face who do not play 3.5/Pathfinder, 5E or Savage Worlds (which fortunately is my primary system).

Getting extensive comments into the files would help a lot, until we have an official and comprehensive series of tutorials how to program a ruleset.

... goes away to look for that MoreCore extension

damned
April 23rd, 2015, 11:11
Hi Asta - one more thing - dont overcomplicate things. If you have a character sheet centric ruleset that doesnt require a Combat Tracker your job i WAAAAY easier. Have you seen Doug building the All Flesh Must Be Eaten character sheet? There probably isnt too many things that you cant do with the CoreRPG character sheet and once you have your sheet worked out you can export it and then reimport it as often as you want to.

AstaSyneri
April 23rd, 2015, 13:53
Hi Asta - one more thing - dont overcomplicate things. If you have a character sheet centric ruleset that doesnt require a Combat Tracker your job i WAAAAY easier. Have you seen Doug building the All Flesh Must Be Eaten character sheet? There probably isnt too many things that you cant do with the CoreRPG character sheet and once you have your sheet worked out you can export it and then reimport it as often as you want to.

Yes, and that's how I ran it the first time. Pretty much all "abilities" in Zombicide are related to the Feats (called Skills in the board game) that you accumulate over time, and the weapons you use. In our gaming session it was a pain to always have to switch between main and inventory tabs, while each page had a lot of screen estate left. So now I am looking for ways to combine those tabs into one small character sheet to make play quicker.

Besides that I am using this example to learn to the ropes for FG ruleset programming - there are a few projects looming on the horizon that I need to be prepared for. Currently I am just frustrated at the steep learning curve to get into it. I am sure once the first project is done, things will be a lot clearer.