PDA

View Full Version : Is Fantasy Grounds useful for in-person (not virtual) games

MNBlockhead
April 23rd, 2015, 05:27
How useful would Fantasy Grounds be for me as a DM at an in-person (NOT virtual) game? I was thinking of it mostly for encounter building and combat management. With 5e rulesets and monsters available, it could be a time saver. But it also seems like I would not being using much of the functionality, such as the battlemap functions.

Anyway, if any DMs use Fantasy Grounds at the table, I would love to hear more about how they use it.

dulux-oz
April 23rd, 2015, 05:51
I've been know to use FG the way you describe, and I find it helps a heap - the Combat tracker is a god-send, and having all of the rules, Monsters, etc, etc, etc easily accessible AND locatable means I can concentrate on running a good game instead of fumbling around for stuff.

Funny thing is, one of my Players started to use FG to connect to the game (while sitting at the same table) and found the thing so useful that he doesn't bring anything else apart from his laptop now. The others are starting to move over as well, simply because it makes the "booking" part of playing that much less of a burden, which means we can all "play".

So yeah, I'd give it a go

On a related note, I'll also point you towards the excellent Tutorial Videos available on the FG Wiki - damn's are good, as are Xorn's, and people tell me they like mine as well (links in my sig).

Cheers

MNBlockhead
April 23rd, 2015, 06:17
Delux-Oz, thanks for the response. Maybe I'll try on a subscriptions basis first. I play 5e and the ability to have all the 5e content included was a draw...though it does require quite an investment. I'm just trying to determine if the tool cost and buying all the DD5e content, when I already have the physical books is worth the expense.

Dakadin
April 23rd, 2015, 06:58
I've been almost exclusively use it in-person for about 4 years now through a few campaigns. My group also went from just a few computers to where everyone is using one now because of the convenience. It definitely helps things to run smoothly.

Definitely check out some of the 5E videos that Doug has put together. It will give you a good idea of what is possible which might help you to decide.

dulux-oz
April 23rd, 2015, 07:40
Delux-Oz, thanks for the response. Maybe I'll try on a subscriptions basis first. I play 5e and the ability to have all the 5e content included was a draw...though it does require quite an investment. I'm just trying to determine if the tool cost and buying all the DD5e content, when I already have the physical books is worth the expense.

Not a problem, glad I could help - oh, and its Dulux-Oz, with two "u"s :p

Cheers

damned
April 23rd, 2015, 10:13
Not a problem, glad I could help - oh, and its Dulux-Oz, with two "u"s :p

Cheers

I think I like Delux better :)

dulux-oz
April 23rd, 2015, 10:32
I think I like Delux better :)

What can I say - I'm to modest to claim it and too modest to comment further :p

(Your Dulux-Oz Fab-Club acceptance and Membership pack is in the mail)

Nylanfs
April 23rd, 2015, 12:49
There's a couple of threads about face to face games. In a rush though so can't look up at the moment.