PDA

View Full Version : Player gets Error: Unable to load ruleset file (base.xml)

Dr0W
April 23rd, 2015, 04:20
This is her first time playing with Fantasy Grounds.
I own Ultimate license, she downloaded free and uses windows 8 on her machine.
At first she was getting the Error1.jpg attached file.

Then I told her to run FG as admin, seemed to solve it but then she got Error2.jpg attached file.

I have a shitty upload and each try takes 15 minutes and I have no idea what else to do.

Trenloe
April 23rd, 2015, 04:32
Get them to delete 5E.pak from the <FG App Data>\rulesets folder and then run an update. They need to download the correct version of 5E.pak in order to: 1) reduce the download time from you (they'll use the ruleset file locally) and 2) To have a correct, uncorrupted ruleset.

Also, make sure that your campaign name doesn't contain : (colon) or other strange characters.

Moon Wizard
April 23rd, 2015, 07:57
In addition, it could be a permissions issue. Make sure that she is running FG with the same user with admin rights who installed the files. Or change the data directory to a public directory (such as C:\Program Data\Fantasy Grounds\) and re-update.

Regards,
JPG

Dr0W
April 23rd, 2015, 13:09
Thanks a lot for the swift answer guys. I'll check with her tonight.

Dr0W
April 24th, 2015, 04:17
It really solved my problem, thanks a lot!

Matrados
February 19th, 2016, 21:42
I'm getting this problem too and can't find the rulesets folder.

Trenloe
February 19th, 2016, 21:43
I'm getting this problem too and can't find the rulesets folder.
Open FG. Click the folder button in the top right, open the "rulesets" directory in the Windows explorer that is opened when you press the folder button.

Matrados
February 19th, 2016, 21:50
There isn't one. Just Cache and patchnotes, steam.api and launcher

Trenloe
February 19th, 2016, 21:53
There isn't one. Just Cache and patchnotes, steam.api and launcher
Sounds like they haven't completed a proper update.

They should load FG and click "Check for Updates" or "Update Available" (the bottom left button of the first screen). If this doesn't do anything, exit FG and run as administrator (right-click on the startup icon and select "Run as Administrator" - then do an update).

Matrados
February 19th, 2016, 21:59
Ran as administrator, updated, entered username and host address clicked start. Big box that said runtime error unable to save file to cache please restart and clear cache. I keep doing this but nothing helps.

Trenloe
February 19th, 2016, 22:07
delete everything in the <FG App data> directory and try an update again (running as Administrator). If that fails, check the settings window and see where the "Data Directory" is pointing to.

damned
February 20th, 2016, 02:48
the two most likely places are:

%appdata%\Fantasy Grounds yes actually type in the %bits too in the explorer window
and
C:\ProgramData\Fantasy Grounds

Morbid-Don
March 7th, 2017, 15:53
THIS IS THE FIX

OK - so last night I figure this out...

When you change your .pak RULESET file into a zip > then uncompress > work on files > then rezip (STOP)

This is where the issue lay - RIGHT HERE when you go to zip the folder back up

By default windows takes the root folder your RIGHT CLICKing on to zip and places that under a sub folder - you need to go into your root folder where all your rule set subfolders and namely .base.xml FILE RESIDE then select ALL THOSE FILEs > then zip them to a ZIP FILE - that right there is the fix for this error!

Again by default windows ZIPs your folder into a subfolder WITHIN the actual zip itself - thats why FG can't load the base.xml

Hope this helps!

Stay GAMING
Morbid

Bidmaron
March 7th, 2017, 16:10
Believe it or not someone rediscovers this problem every month or two.

Trenloe
March 7th, 2017, 16:13
Thanks for posting Morbid-Don

That can certainly be one of the causes. In the end, it can be caused by a few things, but is all down to the fact that FG thinks there's a ruleset present, but that ruleset .pak (or directory) doesn't contain the data it needs. Files are missing or corrupt, someone packaged the ruleset .pak incorrectly (it's not a windows issue, it's the format FG expects - you need to ZIP from within the ruleset directory no matter which operating system you're on), etc..

Glad you got your particular issue sorted out. :)

KahnB
September 28th, 2018, 16:59
Get them to delete 5E.pak from the <FG App Data>\rulesets folder and then run an update. They need to download the correct version of 5E.pak in order to: 1) reduce the download time from you (they'll use the ruleset file locally) and 2) To have a correct, uncorrupted ruleset.

Also, make sure that your campaign name doesn't contain : (colon) or other strange characters.

GREAT! Thanks. This solved it for me.

Roughouse
November 9th, 2019, 05:22
Hi ya'll. Having the base.xml error. I've been trying for a while now and I can't get the archive to be accepted by FG. I followed along with what Morbid-Don wrote as the fix but it still fails. As a test I simply unpacked the ruleset and re archived it.

This is my path when I 'Open archive' the newly zipped 5E.pak ruleset using 7-Zip.
C:\Users\John\AppData\Roaming\Fantasy Grounds\rulesets\5E.pak\.

In short, my archived 5E.pak file and the original look identical in every way except one works and one does not ;-)

LordEntrails
November 9th, 2019, 17:42
You probably included the 5e folder when you zipped, you cant do that. Zip the contents only.

Roughouse
November 11th, 2019, 03:50
I know that is a common mistake but I didn't inc. the 5E folder in the zip, just the folders and files inside it.

damned
November 11th, 2019, 04:18
Why are you unpacking and repacking the ruleset?
What is the end game?

When you say you used 7zip - did you archive it with anything other than straight zip compession?

Roughouse
November 11th, 2019, 06:17
I'm replacing some icons & tokens I dislike with custom ones.
In trying to solve this, I figured the simplest thing to do would be to unzip re-zip and see if it worked having changed nothing inside the archive.
I tried all compression levels and couldn't match the original file size. I left that out earlier because I hadn't noticed at the time the file sizes were mismatched.
One other thing, the campaign loads fine if left as a folder rather then archiving to .pak. This is why I've concluded I'm doing something wrong.

damned
November 11th, 2019, 06:44
Select the contents - right click - send to compressed folder - rename 5e.pak
Done

stockelburg15
July 13th, 2020, 21:01
I am having this issue but on a MacBook Air. I am running Mac high Sierra 10.13.6.

Moon Wizard
July 14th, 2020, 03:31
Which ruleset are you having the issue with?
Can you delete that ruleset in the rulesets folder, and run a new Check For Updates?

Regards,
JPG

Chiefweasel
March 17th, 2021, 17:29
I am having the same issue after the latest patch. I run Traveller MGT2 in FG Classic. I tried removing the CoreRPG file and ran it with admin and was not successful. Any other thoughts on how to correct this?

Trenloe
March 17th, 2021, 17:39
I am having the same issue after the latest patch. I run Traveller MGT2 in FG Classic. I tried removing the CoreRPG file and ran it with admin and was not successful. Any other thoughts on how to correct this?
I'm guessing that the error message you're getting is not exactly the same issue as the OP of this thread. It's a different error message. More information here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?67129-Error-Unable-to-load-file-(ps-ps_partyship-xml

Chiefweasel
March 17th, 2021, 17:52
Here is the error i am getting44952

Chiefweasel
March 17th, 2021, 17:53

So something that is new to my campaign dealing with the partys ship which i do not have in my campaigh) is the issue.

Trenloe
March 17th, 2021, 17:58

So something that is new to my campaign dealing with the partys ship which i do not have in my campaigh) is the issue.
Please refer to the tread I linked above - the cause and the upcoming fix is detailed there.

Moon Wizard
March 18th, 2021, 00:55
The Traveller issue was address in a hot fix pushed around noon PST.

Regards,
JPG