PDA

View Full Version : FG Noob Question: How do I add temporary AC buff to spell?

JackOfAllGames
April 20th, 2015, 19:15
Hello all! I just stumbled upon this software (seeing it mentioned on the official D&D site) and immediately became enamored with it. So far, I've spent the $40 on steam and bought a few modules to get a good feel for the software (PC customization, sorcerer, fighter, humanoid monsters, and beast monsters). I'm trying to learn the ins and outs of the software before trying to rope my D&D group into it. I've poked around the wiki and watched some YouTube videos to learn more about the software...but I've found something that I'm stuck on. It seems like it should be quite simple...but nothing seems to work. I'd appreciate any help you guys can give.

My test sorcerer (mimicking one that I'm currently playing in a tabletop pen-and-paper campaign) knows the shield spell (as most sorcerers do)...but I noticed that it wasn't set up to give any kind of AC buff. The spell is just...there. So I thought I'd just add the AC buff (seems simple enough)...but for the life of me, I can't figure it out. I've tried Right-Click > Add Action > Add Effect on the spell. I clicked the magnifying glass to edit the effect. I have the effect set to 1 RND duration, self-targeting, never expend. The description is set to 'AC: 5' (without the single quotes). It doesn't work. I've tried many variations on the description (no space, adding a plus sign, appending the words 'self' and/or 'Shield', etc.). As far as I can guess from the wiki, the syntax is correct...but nothing will raise my sorcerer's AC.

Further, I've tried experimenting, using the same syntax to create an effect in the Effects window and applying that to my sorcerer. Still nothing.

It seems like a simple AC buff would be easy...but I figure I need to go ahead and ask for help. I'd appreciate any help you guys can give. Thanks!

-Jack

Edit: Corrected the number for Shield. That's what happens when I try to recall the spell from memory rather than actually reading it. =P

Nylanfs
April 20th, 2015, 19:24
Welcome! I just usually mouse wheel it up and have a duration effect

Trenloe
April 20th, 2015, 21:01
Effects only work if they are applied to a creature in the combat tracker. Just adding the effect to a spell doesn't do anything, you'll need to add the effect to the target within the combat tracker.

Then, you won't see your AC change (in this example), but the effect will be taken into account when someone targets the creature and makes an attack roll vs AC - you'll see "Defensive Effects: -2" or similar in the attack roll details on the chat window.

This is how all effects work - you won't see them changing any of the base creature stats, but they will kick in when a relevant action occurs - e.g. ATK kicks in when an attack roll is made, DMG when a damage roll is made, SAVE when a save roll is made, etc..

Zacchaeus
April 20th, 2015, 21:04
Drag the spell into your character's Actions Tab. (I'm assuming here you mean Mage Armour)
Right click on the spell and select 'Add Action' from the radial menu then select 'Add Effect'.
This will cause a new line to appear below the spell. Click on the little magnifying glass to the right of this line; this will open a dialog box.
In the 'Description/Conditions/Modifiers' box type in AC: 3
For the Duration set it to 8 HR (Click in the box marked 'RND' to cycle through the options). Leave the targeting box as it is. Now close the dialog.
You have now set up the spell.
When you 'cast' the spell drag the effect (the little button with a picture of a man on it) onto your character in the Combat Tracker.
Note this will not alter your AC in your character sheet or the combat tracker in any way.
However when anything attacks you the additional 3 points of AC will be taken into consideration when FG calculates whether you have been hit or not.
If you wish to cast the spell on another character then simply drag the effect onto them.

Hopefully this should clear things up or you; but if there is something that you still don't understand please post again.

Also welcome to Fantasy Grounds.

Zacchaeus
April 20th, 2015, 21:04
Ninja'd!

JackOfAllGames
April 20th, 2015, 21:37
Aha! The entire problem seems to be that I was expecting the numbers to change on the character sheet and not throwing enough d20s. After running a few tests, it works perfectly! I'd done some prior testing, but I have to assume that my effect syntax was wrong at the time.

In addition, I can't believe that I had missed the fact that you can Ctrl+Mousewheel to adjust AC on the fly (man, I love this software). The next thing I'd need to figure out is Mage Armor. I'll poke around some more as see if I can accurately reproduce Mage Armor's rules, but if nothing else, being able to give +3 armor as appropriate is great!

Thanks all for the help! I appreciate it!

Zacchaeus
April 20th, 2015, 22:10
The next thing I'd need to figure out is Mage Armor. I'll poke around some more as see if I can accurately reproduce Mage Armor's rules, but if nothing else, being able to give +3 armor as appropriate is great!

Em, my post above is all about Mage Armour :)
I know that on this side of the pond we spell armour differently but well.... :)

JackOfAllGames
April 20th, 2015, 22:51
Em, my post above is all about Mage Armour :)
I know that on this side of the pond we spell armour differently but well.... :)

Ah, I apologize. I didn't intend to sound like I was ignoring your post. I just substituted Mage Armour for Shield in my mind (as Shield was my current goal) and continued reading. I promise, I did read it through and I appreciate the help. =)

The part of Mage Armor (as we say it in the states =) ) that I'm hoping to figure out next is that pesky condition regarding the target not wearing armor. I think I read something about effect rules having some Boolean logic options (an IF statement or something), but I haven't had a chance to look further into it yet. (I'm thinking something along the lines of IF AC = 0 THEN AC: 3 + Dex.) It may also be that you just can't automate the spell in its entirety. After all, part of what I love about FG is that it doesn't try to completely replace the tabletop experience - just help with some of the tedium and organization. I'm just trying to learn the boundaries of the software so I can better understand and pass on the knowledge when my group (hopefully) adopts it.

damned
April 21st, 2015, 01:51
The IF/IFT statements are limited in what they can check. And in 5e no Armour should give you an AC of 10 IIRC.
Just do the Mage Armour Effect and remind your player that they cant wear armour if they want the spell to work.
Effects are pretty awesome when you get on top of them - especially expiring effects.

JackOfAllGames
April 21st, 2015, 02:28
The IF/IFT statements are limited in what they can check. And in 5e no Armour should give you an AC of 10 IIRC.
Just do the Mage Armour Effect and remind your player that they cant wear armour if they want the spell to work.
Effects are pretty awesome when you get on top of them - especially expiring effects.

Ah, thanks for the info. That probably saved me QUITE a bit of time. Realistically, setting the spell to give a simple +3 buff should be more than enough anyway.

viresanimi
April 21st, 2015, 11:55
I know that on this side of the pond we spell armour differently but well....

ha ha ha... I so know what you mean. I had a very good teacher that taught me "English" and not "'murican" and I just can't look at "armor" and not think: They spelled that wrong...

Vires Animi

Nylanfs
April 21st, 2015, 12:18
Stupid Webster, all because of one man.