PDA

View Full Version : Is there no way to edit my custom module?

Seraphim
April 20th, 2015, 10:41
I created a module, exported everything, and got rid of all the excess items. When I opened the book, I noticed that for some reason my pins and set up creature positions weren't saved (Which is mildly frustrating). I opened the module and figured I could just edit it and re-export. However, there is no way to export or edit the module?

Now the only way for me to access the items, creatures, and story that I made are through the module, but I don't see any way to edit it. This is really upsetting because I worked so much on it.

Andraax
April 20th, 2015, 14:02
Go back into the campaign you exported from, make adjustments, and re-export. Make sure you export the Encounters. And Pins don't show up until you turn them on on the map - have you done this?

damned
April 20th, 2015, 14:08
Hey Seraphim what ruleset is this? I do export maps with pins and it works ok for me.

Seraphim
April 20th, 2015, 20:30
This is 5E. Hm. It's difficult to explain. Let me try to elaborate better.

I created all the content as one campaign and did them as acts (Act 1, 2, 3, etc.)

However, after each campaign there's a lot of messy things left over. If I do a campaign about kobolds for level 1, and then one for goblins at level 2, I'll have a bunch of leftover files cluttering things up when I start the goblins campaign (Kobold tokens, maps, npcs, items, etc.). So the best thing to do is just export all the kobold stuff as "Act 1: Kobold Lair" then delete the files to start the goblin campaign (Because I have them all exported as a module, so it's fine. I can fetch them easily by opening the tome in modules).

However, it seems I missed something when I exported and then removed all the excess files. Now my campaign has no tokens, items, npcs, parcels, etc (Which is justly so, because I deleted them due to having a exported module for them). But I do have the kobolds, goblins, etc. modules that I can open up and fetch them from. The issue is, I forgot to add some things and I need to go back into the module and just edit those small bits. But I don't understand how to edit them and re-save them from the module itself.

I'm not sure if that adds some clarity. I'll take some pictures to try and explain it better.

Exhibit A! These are my base campaign files. Nothing here? Of course. I removed the files because I was working on the next act of my campaign, and I don't need all the clutter.

The items are here though because I exported them (The tab at the bottom shows i'm in the module now).

Awesome it's all here. However, I goofed and forgot some things. Just the pins and encounter positions, and maybe i'll want to add some NPC's or story info for the future. Easy fix that can be done manually I would assume. But How do I "edit and export" a module that's already created though.

Trenloe
April 20th, 2015, 20:48
You could retro-engineer the modules into a blank campaign, but a bunch of stuff wouldn't be there (image links being the main one, etc.). This might be a first step, but it does require some XML editing and messing around to change a module into a campaign.

There's also XML editing and messing around that could be done in the module to make changes, but this is pretty technical and fraught with errors if you don't understand 100% what you're doing.

Trenloe
April 20th, 2015, 20:48
You could retro-engineer the modules into a blank campaign, but a bunch of stuff wouldn't be there (image links being the main one, etc.). This might be a first step, but it does require some XML editing and messing around to change a module into a campaign.

There's also XML editing and messing around that could be done in the module to make changes, but this is pretty technical and fraught with errors if you don't understand 100% what you're doing.

Seraphim
April 20th, 2015, 20:51
So there is no simple way to, "Edit Module?" I have a feeling that if I messed with the XML files that things would start catching fire.

If this is so, I guess the lesson I learned is that each session would probably be best done as a seperate campaign in fantasy grounds. This way I don't need to delete the base files and worry about clutter. After about 5 or so sessions, having all the gunk in story, npcs, items, etc. can get really annoying to sift through. The only thing I would be required to do is export my players characters, which is much simpler.

Trenloe
April 20th, 2015, 20:56
So there is no simple way to, "Edit Module?" I have a feeling that if I messed with the XML files that things would start catching fire.
When a module is loaded into FG there is limited editing available if the module is set to allow editing - see this post on how to check/remove the lock for a specific module: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?23243-Mod-file-not-locked&p=200805&viewfull=1#post200805 But this will only allow changes to be made within that campaign, it won't change the base module. That is the whole design philosophy around modules - they are base read-only data that can't be accidentally modified.

Other than that, to make changes without editing the XML, the main is to use a base "module maker" campaign for whatever you're doing and go back to that, make changes and re-export the module.

Seraphim
April 20th, 2015, 21:01
When a module is loaded into FG there is limited editing available if the module is set to allow editing - see this post on how to check/remove the lock for a specific module: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?23243-Mod-file-not-locked&p=200805&viewfull=1#post200805 But this will only allow changes to be made within that campaign, it won't change the base module. That is the whole design philosophy around modules - they are base read-only data that can't be accidentally modified.

Other than that, to make changes without editing the XML, the main is to use a base "module maker" campaign for whatever you're doing and go back to that, make changes and re-export the module.

Got it. Thanks Trenloe. I'll have to keep my campaigns separate as the "module maker" you suggested. I'll remember this for the future.

Griogre
April 20th, 2015, 21:19
Seraphim, you basic concept is sound. But what you want to do is make a FG campaign of if each Act for your personal campaign. Basically you want to work with about as much material as an adventure. You are doing that part well.

I think where you went wrong is you want to actually *run* the game in a campaign that only holds the PC characters. You then would run the individual Acts of your campaign by opening up the current act/adventure module. When they finish that act you would close that module and open the next act module.

If you needed to change something in an adventure you are currently running you could a) just add it temporarily to the base campaign. The works well for like wandering monsters, ect. b) You could edit the open module which would change it only as long as you leave that module open in the campaign with the PCs and only in the PC's campaign. This is useful if you have two groups going through the same module so you want to make changes as a specific reaction to want an individual party did. c) If you have a typo or something of forgot a monster you can open up the act campaign make the changes and re-export the module. The downside to this is it re-sets any changes you did using b). This isn't horrible but it will reset masks on partially explored maps, ect.

This is a custom homebrew, right? If so, if you want to post up your mod file we can see what is in it.

Seraphim
April 20th, 2015, 22:52
I feel the best way to tackle it now would be to have a campaign in fantasy grounds set for each act, and then a seperate act all together for when we actually play.

For example, I'd have three campaigns (2 module creators, and 1 for the actual play) for FG as such:
Act 1: Kobolds (Contains all the base files for "The Kobolds Lair" module in case I must ever edit/export them)
Act 2: Goblins (Contains all the base files for "The Goblins Cave" module in case I must ever edit/export them)
Shadows of Percivia (Contains nothing except the players characters, but I'll just open my handy module books I made in the other campaigns if I need them)

This, as i understand, will give me as much creative freedom over my campaign design as possible (and minimize overall file clutter). I can freely go back and edit, add, or change campaign elements if I desire so without the worry of accidentally deleting important elements that I cannot change in the future.