PDA

View Full Version : Level adj seems to do nothing

Mace1370
April 19th, 2015, 23:48
Hi guys. I've been experimenting with the "Level adj" field in the NPC worksheet. It was my impression that adding levels would make NPCs get bonuses in combat. I tried putting everything from "+1" to "+40" into this field though and I don't see any difference. I tried not using the + sign and that didn't make a difference either.

Here are the steps I took:

1) Put "+40" in the Level adj field for an npc
2) Added that NPC to an encounter and used the encounter to load the NPC into the combat tracker
3) Via the combat tracker dragged his Attack roll into the chat window. I didn't notice a change
4) Via the combat tracker dragged his Damage roll into the chat window (like 1d3+2). I didn't notice a change.

What am I doing wrong?

Trenloe
April 20th, 2015, 05:57
What ruleset does this relate to?

Nickademus
April 20th, 2015, 06:21
I believe Level Adjustment is a value in the stat block of creatures from D&D 3.5e, and is meant to inform a GM of how many levels the creature would be considered as a PC race. It was never meant to add any bonuses to stats. It is simply there for the GM to reference, like the environment, organization, treasure, and advancement values.

Mace1370
April 20th, 2015, 23:16
I am using the pathfinder ruleset, can it not be used for that? I was hoping for an easy way to auto scale NPCs if an additional person wanted to join the party at the last minute.

Trenloe
April 21st, 2015, 00:20
It's purely for reference, there isn't any ruleset mechanic behind it.

Trenloe
April 21st, 2015, 00:21
It's purely for reference, there isn't any ruleset mechanic behind it.

Mace1370
April 21st, 2015, 00:47
Ah ok, thanks. I saw in some the user guide that it used to be possible to adjust monster HP through the "House Rules" section of the settings. I checked there and it doesn't seem to be present. Did this get patched out, or is it somewhere else?

Trenloe
April 21st, 2015, 01:16
I saw in some the user guide that it used to be possible to adjust monster HP through the "House Rules" section of the settings. I checked there and it doesn't seem to be present. Did this get patched out, or is it somewhere else?
In campaign options set "CT: NPC Hit Points" to "Max".