PDA

View Full Version : Question regarding dice

driador
April 19th, 2015, 05:26
Hey all,

New guy around here. I've been looking at FG on and off for a while now and finally decided to bite the bullet as I really like some of FG's functionality as compared to Roll20. Don't get me wrong here, I'm not here to start an A vs B. here, though... as I like both, and in terms of producing a better product for all of us to enjoy, a little competition is a healthy thing.

Anyway, the everyday (well, weekend) group I usually play with does 5E and while it's good, I've been dreaming of some of the good ol' ultraviolence with some Dungeon Crawl Classics. I have a semi-official blessing via email from Goodman Games that they're okay with a community developed ruleset for DCC so long as they're (mostly) kept in the loop. The only potential roadblock on this, as many here already know, are the odd dice. As I understand it, I can extend existing dice to roll some permutation resulting in my desired range, but I really would like to truly add a new number of dice (replete with icons, images and the same ability to grab and roll) as the standard set of polyhedrals. That way, as an example, I could log in, start (or join) a DCC campaign and see all the familiars of D4, D6, D10, D12, D20 as well as the "oddball" dice: D3, D5, D7, D14, D16, D24, and the D30.

Is this currently possible in the manner I'm imagining it? If not, what would it take in terms of development time from the core devs at Smiteworks to make the dice more extensible by DMs/ruleset hackers?

BTW, nice to finally get here and "meet" you all. :)

Trenloe
April 19th, 2015, 05:53
Is this currently possible in the manner I'm imagining it? If not, what would it take in terms of development time from the core devs at Smiteworks to make the dice more extensible by DMs/ruleset hackers.
Welcome.

You can't change the 3d dice as these are programmed in, but you can do some development work to do the DCC dice - this has been done in this thread: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?23452-DCC-Dice-d3-d5-d7-d14-d16-d24-d30&p=203985&viewfull=1#post203985 I think there was more work done specifically for DCC, but I can't find it at the moment. I'll try and track it down.

Fantasy Grounds is currently undergoing a migration (still in the development stage, nothing available to the users) to the Unity platform, which *should* allow for custom 3D dice skins. But that might be a while off yet... For now you can do custom dice with development, you just won't see those specific dice rolling in 3D.

damned
April 19th, 2015, 06:08
Hola driador!
The MoreCore extension contains the funky DCC dice. They are not 3d polyhedral dice - that part of the engine is locked to outsiders.
It will roll a 3d Fate Dice but report back the results of whichever funky dice you threw.

I have the beginnings of a DCC extension attached and another member leozelig is also working on another port.

Feel free to download and have a whirl. Report back your thoughts, your suggestions, your likes and dislikes. Im not a DCC fan but there is demand for DCC and if I can extend this a little further and make it useable I will...

Use the guide for MoreCore initially but I think you will work out what I have done so far with the DCC specific stuff...
https://www.dropbox.com/s/76yrce4o8ydlq18/dcc-v.08.ext?dl=0

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?23281-More-Core-extension-for-CoreRPG
https://www.fg-con.com/morecore-extension/

driador
April 19th, 2015, 06:29
Thanks gentlemen. I just wanted to make sure when I asked as I had gotten the impression that (as damned said) that the code surrounding the dice was a cloistered away from us. However, it's good to see that there is work ongoing. I'm not saying that players aren't so smart as to use a macro to do /die N<dFoo>+Z , but part of the "nifty" of FG is the actual rolling of the virtual dice, replete with the graphic. Plus the fact that I can drag a die (or macro I assume) to a target and "use" that roll against that target is quite a nice feature.

Interesting that the team is working towards Unity as the core engine. Might I be so bold as to ask what it uses right now (ie, developed in house, or third party)? Just curious myself as my daily job involves a good deal of perl, jquery/javascript, c and the occasional bits of java.

damned
April 19th, 2015, 06:33
I just update the screenshts and latest version of MoreCore here:
https://www.fg-con.com/morecore-extension/

The DCC version has all those plus some more.

I dont know what the engine is. If you use the DCC extension most of those rolls can be done graphically....

Nylanfs
April 19th, 2015, 16:41
Since the largest part of the engine was built more than 10 years ago in Norway (I think that is where Ville and Ren were from) I would bet that the engine was all built in house.

Oberoten
April 19th, 2015, 17:15
Praise where praise is deserved, they were finns. Wrong side of Sweden. :) But yes, a lot of the base work need to be checked for mold by now.

- Obe

VenomousFiligree
April 19th, 2015, 17:16
Since the largest part of the engine was built more than 10 years ago in Norway (I think that is where Ville and Ren were from) I would bet that the engine was all built in house.

Don't forget Ged, whose profile lists Finland.

driador
April 19th, 2015, 21:39
Well, I know these may be considered thin words coming from a newcomer to the system, and I know this isn't an open source project by any means, but if there's anything I can do to help towards that goal (documentation, code review and unit testing, beta test, you name it), just say the word.

Moon Wizard
April 19th, 2015, 22:55
Check out the Laboratory forum where we post alpha/beta versions of software and rulesets before release.

Thanks,
JPG

Moon Wizard
April 19th, 2015, 22:55
Check out the Laboratory forum where we post alpha/beta versions of software and rulesets before release.

Thanks,
JPG

leozelig
April 20th, 2015, 12:25
Hola driador!
The MoreCore extension contains the funky DCC dice. They are not 3d polyhedral dice - that part of the engine is locked to outsiders.
It will roll a 3d Fate Dice but report back the results of whichever funky dice you threw.

I have the beginnings of a DCC extension attached and another member leozelig is also working on another port.

I wrote a simple funky dice extension for the CoreRPG ruleset, but they are only available from the radial menu. The coding is very simple, but creating new dice with their own icons is apparently impossible, literally.

I have the beginnings of a character sheet for DCC RPG. I am trying to mirror the GG fillable pdf character sheets as closely as possible. I am not a coder, so my goal was just to have fields for the GM/players to record their stats. Even a simple "double-click to roll" script takes me forever to figure out. The fancier rulesets have created expectations among players for lots of bells and whistles, but most of those features will probably exceed my coding abilities.

I will post a screenshot. You are welcome to add to it. My intention was just to get something very basic out there, and hopefully, someone smarter than me will improve on it! :)

leozelig
April 20th, 2015, 23:13
Screenshot of the DCC RPG ruleset I am working on. I need some icons for AC and HP, but I am not worried about that right now.