PDA

View Full Version : How do I select a spell multiple times

Osryk
April 18th, 2015, 23:53
When allocating your spells you can cast, there is only one selection box. Is there a way to make more so a spell could be used multiple times?

Moon Wizard
April 19th, 2015, 00:11
For spells, my understanding of 5E is that you have a certain number of spells known/prepared and you can cast each spell as many times as you have slots for that level spell.

Cheers,
JPG

Osryk
April 19th, 2015, 00:46
So when preparing a spell (Magic Missile) and I have 5 level 1 slots. Can I select Magic Missile 5 times? That doesn't look like the case.
When selecting spells for my slots (for the day) I can only select each spell once. I want to be able to select a spell a couple of times.

Thegroo
April 19th, 2015, 01:07
In 5e you have a number of spells per day that you can cast (spell slots) and a number of spells per day that you can prepare.
A spell you have prepared, can be cast more than once as long as you have 'spell slots' to use.

You don't have to prepare ervery 'casting instance' like in older versions. This adds a bit of versatility

Osryk
April 19th, 2015, 01:14
I see. A little confusing at first, but I get it now. thanks for the explanation.

Griogre
April 21st, 2015, 00:03
To add a bit more, in 5E you can also cast spells at a higher level so potentially a Magic Missile Spell could be cast using any spell slot from 1st to 9th with the higher level spells slots adding more Missiles.

BradMcLeod
April 21st, 2015, 04:27
Wait, does that mean casting a 9th level Magic Missile means using a 9th level spell slot?

Griogre
April 21st, 2015, 06:22
Yes, that's one reason the spells prepared and the spell slots are kept track of separately.

BradMcLeod
April 21st, 2015, 07:10
Man, how the times have changed, lol

Nylanfs
April 21st, 2015, 12:13
Yep, back to how they used to be. :)

Griogre
April 21st, 2015, 17:44
5E really feels overall like AD&D with some of the best parts of 3.x and 4E to me. The casting at a higher than base level is because spells don't scale by level except for cantrips. This is different from other versions probably because of the bounded accuracy of 5E.