PDA

View Full Version : Different file locations for "live", "test" and "dev" modes?

dulux-oz
April 18th, 2015, 10:55
You know what would be a nice idea?

If we could have separate Data Directories for Live, Test and Dev under the current Ruleset and Modules Directories which would hold the relevant Ruleset & Module Downloads and which would be selected by FG automatically when we select Live/Test/Dev in the FG Updater. Only the Ruleset and Module Data is (semi-)regularly updated, so we'd only need "copies" of that data - data that doesn't change (eg the Docs Folder) doesn't need to be stored twice. If a User never uses Test and/or Dev then those Directories will be empty (never having downloaded Test or Dev Data).

This would allow us to quickly switch from one to the other and not have to download the same stuff over and over when switching back and forth. It would relieve some load on the SW Download Servers as well.

Admittedly, not directly useful to the majority of people who use FG, but extremely useful to the Community Devs, and thus indirectly useful to everybody who uses Community developed stuff.

It "should" only require a minor change or two to the Launcher and Updater, as far as my logic can see - oh course, I could be wrong (stranger things have happened... rarely) :p

I know: add it to the wishlist - but what do people think?

Just my $0.02 worth.

Cheers

Zacchaeus
April 18th, 2015, 11:40
If it's feasible that would be nice, Dulux.

Trenloe
April 18th, 2015, 11:51
As long as it doesn't cause too much confusion - we already have some "tinkerers" who extract rulesets and forget they did, so it would be very easy for people to be running the wrong version in the wrong "live", test" or "dev" directory. I can just imagine the posts in the forums with people getting confused...

dulux-oz
April 18th, 2015, 12:49
As long as it doesn't cause too much confusion - we already have some "tinkerers" who extract rulesets and forget they did, so it would be very easy for people to be running the wrong version in the wrong "live", test" or "dev" directory. I can just imagine the posts in the forums with people getting confused...

But that's the point: let the Updater and Launcher handle that. Then all we have to do is work with the files in the "Prod" - unless we choose to use the "Test" or "Dev" stuff. It should actually make it easier than it is now, as now we have to remember which version we're editing.

Cheers

Trenloe
April 18th, 2015, 12:58
But that's the point: let the Updater and Launcher handle that. Then all we have to do is work with the files in the "Prod" - unless we choose to use the "Test" or "Dev" stuff. It should actually make it easier than it is now, as now we have to remember which version we're editing.
I disagree - having more files, in different folders will make it more confusing for those who aren't intimately familiar with FG and how all of the files work. I've seen many posts in the forum along the lines of "Oh, I forgot I had extracted that ruleset to a directory in the past" - having multiple folders that are pointed to by the mode FG is currently in will make this even more confusing for those people dabbling in extension development/ruleset modification. I agree that *if* people are aware and with how it all works, what they're doing, when "Updates" are around and what will happen when the update button is pressed, etc., etc. then it would be of some use to a very, very small number of members of this community. Whether that nice bit of functionality for a very small minority of users would be worth the possible confusing and additional support issues it would raise for other users - I can see the first response to anyone raising issues now being "what version are you running, what mode are you in, are you sure that you don't have any old rulesets/extensions in your <FG app data>\<live test or dev> folder" and then we'll have to explain exactly what all of that means... Best to keep it simple rather than more complex.

Anyway, not my decision...

dulux-oz
April 18th, 2015, 13:13
I disagree - having more files, in different folders will make it more confusing for those who aren't intimately familiar with FG and how all of the files work. I've seen many posts in the forum along the lines of "Oh, I forgot I had extracted that ruleset to a directory in the past" - having multiple folders that are pointed to by the mode FG is currently in will make this even more confusing for those people dabbling in extension development/ruleset modification. I agree that *if* people are aware and with how it all works, what they're doing, when "Updates" are around and what will happen when the update button is pressed, etc., etc. then it would be of some use to a very, very small number of members of this community. Whether that nice bit of functionality for a very small minority of users would be worth the possible confusing and additional support issues it would raise for other users - I can see the first response to anyone raising issues now being "what version are you running, what mode are you in, are you sure that you don't have any old rulesets/extensions in your <FG app data>\<live test or dev> folder" and then we'll have to explain exactly what all of that means... Best to keep it simple rather than more complex.

But aren't people having those same issues now? Don't we have to make sure that the people we're trying to help aren't using the "Test" or "Dev" versions - or do we just assume they're using the "Live" version? And if people see three folders labeled "Live", "Test" & "Dev" don't you think they at least pause to consider what they're doing (I know, its a utopic vision, but I can at least dream, can't I)?

And remember, I said that there will only be files in the "Test" or "Dev" if people actually select the Test or Dev Radio Buttons on the FG Settings Window - if they never select the "Test" Radiobutton they never have anything in the "Test" Directory.

I can see you point, but in all honesty, I can't see the number of support issues increasing by more than a very small number of percentage points at most - and people can always do what they should be doing in the first place - RTFM! :p

Anyway, as I said, just my $0.02 worth.

Cheers

Trenloe
April 18th, 2015, 13:16
And remember, I said that there will only be files in the "Test" or "Dev" if people actually select the Test or Dev Radio Buttons on the FG Settings Window - if they never select the "Test" Radiobutton they never have anything in the "Test" Directory.
Yeah, OK - I see that might help.

and people can always do what they should be doing in the first place - RTFM! :p
I wish...

https://eduncovered.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/rose-tinted-specs.jpg

;)

Trenloe
April 18th, 2015, 13:17
Sorry M_W for derailing your thread - this should really be in a completely separate thread. I'll do that now...

dulux-oz
April 18th, 2015, 14:15
Sorry M_W for derailing your thread - this should really be in a completely separate thread. I'll do that now...

Yeah, sorry Moon - wasn't my intention.

damned
April 18th, 2015, 16:35
you two...

dulux-oz
April 19th, 2015, 03:37
you two...

You two what? :)