PDA

View Full Version : Drag and drop images won't work?

Wonderbringer
April 18th, 2015, 00:10
Newb here. Can't seem to get drag and drop images to work. Doing it exactly as seen on their youtube channel but nothing happens once "dropped".

Nylanfs
April 18th, 2015, 00:54
Are you on a Mac?

Wonderbringer
April 18th, 2015, 01:54
No.

Griogre
April 18th, 2015, 02:06
Wonderbringer, it sounds like your data path may be different. If you start FG, in the launcher in the top right is the FG version number and license. Above that should be a file folder button with the tool tip "Open Data Folder". What happens when you click on that button? Does it pop up a window?

Welcome to the FG boards by the way. Hopefully we can figure out your problem.

Wonderbringer
April 18th, 2015, 02:13
No, I get an error message. I knew this had something to do with it, looking into it now. Any suggestions on how to fix would be greatly appreciated.

damned
April 18th, 2015, 03:43
What is the error message and what is the Data Directory path in your Settings?

https://www.fg-con.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/fg-con-6-150-14.jpg (https://www.fg-con.com/events/)
FG Con 6 – April 17-19th 2015 - register at www.fg-con.com (https://www.fg-con.com/) for all the latest info.

Trenloe
April 18th, 2015, 03:49
If drag-and-drop doesn't work you can click the "images" button at the top of the image list - this will open the actual directory within Windows, then copy/paste your images withing Windows explorer.

Wonderbringer
April 18th, 2015, 14:59
The folder button on my images tab doesn't work so I can't do that Trenloe. When I click on it I get this message: "C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Roaming\Fantasy Grounds II refers to a location that is unavailable. It could be on the hard drive of this computer, or on a network. Check to make sure that the disc is properly inserted, or that you are connected to the Internet or your network, and then try again. If it still cannot be located, the information might have been moved to a different location."

Damned, my Data Directory path is set to "C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Roaming\Fantasy Grounds II". I didn't change a thing. When I checked for this file, it of course did not exist. Don't know what else to do. I've reinstalled everything and still no change.

Question: Are you suppose to have to run the updater every time you want to play Fantasy Grounds? Each time I go to load it up, I have to redo the update to get all my purchases as well as any campaigns I've created.

Trenloe
April 18th, 2015, 15:07
Question: Are you suppose to have to run the updater every time you want to play Fantasy Grounds? Each time I go to load it up, I have to redo the update to get all my purchases as well as any campaigns I've created.
The issues you're seeing are all related to you not having a "C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Roaming\Fantasy Grounds II" directory - this is where all of your Fantasy Grounds data gets stored: purchases, campaign info, etc.. You'll also find that your campaign won't be saving.

Either create that directory, or point the FG Data Directory in settings to a directory that exists - don't use the same one as the Application directory. Check for a directory called C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Roaming\Fantasy Grounds - i.e. the II has been removed from the end.

Then run an update and check that this data directory gets populated with a bunch of folders (campaigns, rulesets, modules, etc.).

Wonderbringer
April 18th, 2015, 15:46
Found the folder. Apparently, it was on a hidden user; no clue why. So, now I can access the folders and add images via explorer but still cannot drag-and-drop.

damned
April 18th, 2015, 16:02
Wonderbringer when did you first install Fantasy Grounds?
Where did you get your install file from?
Who were you logged in as when you installed it?
Did you install it for All Users or for Current User only?

Moon Wizard
April 18th, 2015, 23:45
While investigating a few installation issues, I've found that users who are running by default as a Windows non-admin user that grant admin rights via a different user to the FG installer, actually end up installing to the admin user data folders by default. These folders will be unavailable to the non-admin user. This does not happen if running as an admin user, and just granting access via the standard UAC prompt in Windows.

The workaround is to make sure that the data folder used by the installer is accessible to your non-admin user.

We are looking at changing the default data folder location to the C:\ProgramData\ (i.e. public app data) location, instead of C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\ (i.e. user specific data). This should prevent admin rights issues for new installations.

Regards,
JPG

Trenloe
April 19th, 2015, 02:40
So, now I can access the folders and add images via explorer but still cannot drag-and-drop.
OK... Making progress. The next thing to try is disabling your anti-virus/protection application briefly while doing a drag/drop test. Also see if it is a general external data access restriction - try copying some text from anywhere outside of FG and pasting into a new story entry.