PDA

View Full Version : Armor Class listing in Core class pack

jhall6766
April 17th, 2015, 20:37
I noticed that the armors are giving double digit bonuses to their AC.... For instance Leather armor shows a +11 , Chainmail +16.... I dont believe that is correct but figured I would double check.... My Thoughts are Leather would be +1, Chainmail +6 otherwise 1st lvl characters would be running around in AC 21 for leather not counting dex bonus , A character in Chainmail would be AC 26 ... Just thought I would point this out just in case it has been overlooked....

Zacchaeus
April 17th, 2015, 21:08
I noticed that the armors are giving double digit bonuses to their AC.... For instance Leather armor shows a +11 , Chainmail +16.... I dont believe that is correct but figured I would double check.... My Thoughts are Leather would be +1, Chainmail +6 otherwise 1st lvl characters would be running around in AC 21 for leather not counting dex bonus , A character in Chainmail would be AC 26 ... Just thought I would point this out just in case it has been overlooked....

This is working as intended. Base AC is 10 so if you equip Leather armour then you put (11-10) 1 in the AC box to get the correct value. Chainmail would be (16-10) 6 and so on.

jhall6766
April 17th, 2015, 22:19
Hello Zacchaeus,
I know the armor ratings therefor I can make that adjustment.... But if you were a new player and opened that particular piece of armor it states that the Chainmail ac bonus is +16 not 6.... Therefor it could be argued that chainmail armor should give you base 10 +16 = 26 AC.... I Know from experience that it is meant to be +6 but others may not... And with the way it is written within the Core class pack which is the PHB I would have to agree.... I just wished to point that out in case there waas a new DM with new players out there playing for possibly the first time... All I wanted to do was point that possible problem out...

jhall6766
April 17th, 2015, 22:31
Here is a screen shot of what it is Im speaking about.....9613

Griogre
April 18th, 2015, 00:52
The issue really is what do you do with a PC in no armor. Do you really want him to have a 0 armor class instead of a 10? If not then do you really want to make him add a no armor +10 value? Your concern is valid though because it is confusing to new players - and I've had one or two some people mess it up. I've had a monk mess it up the other way too.