PDA

View Full Version : Port Forwarding on a Verizon Router

eryndur
April 17th, 2015, 20:14
I'm having trouble setting up Port Forwarding on my Verizon Fios Router. When setting up a new Port Forwarding Rule, it first tells me, "Type in the IP address you want to forward to". What address is this? The External address, or one of my many internals? If internal, which one should I choose? The one designated for the specific computer I'm running FG on?
Then there are a number of fields I have to fill in:

Protocol. TCP, UDP, or both. I chose both.
Source Ports. Any, or Specify. I chose Specify, and entered "1802".
Destination Ports. Any, or Specify. I chose Specify, and entered "1802".
WAN Connection Type. All Broadband Devices, Broadband Connection (Ethernet/Coax), or WAN PPPoE. I chose All Broadband Devices.
Forward to Port. Same as Incoming Port, or Specify. I chose Same as Incoming Port.

After adding this new rule and applying it, I check it out on canyouseeme.org and on the FG Launch screen, but both tests fail. I have also set my general Firewall settings to the lowest possible, so I shouldn't be getting too many rejections.

Any ideas about what I'm doing wrong?

Trenloe
April 17th, 2015, 21:37
The internal address is the internal IP address that you will run your GM instance of FG on. Note: If you're just playing, you don't need port forwarding.

canyouseeme.org will only work if you have your GM instance loaded up and in a campaign (waiting for players to connect).

You may need to reboot your router for the port forwarding changes to be seen.

Make sure you don't have multiple network cards enabled on your computer: from VPNs, virtual machines, WiFi/physical cable, etc.. And make sure this network card is set to private, if it is public you will need to manually add Fantasy Grounds to your windows firewall.

If the above doesn't work, try disabling your firewall/s for a short time to do the connection testing.

eryndur
April 17th, 2015, 22:28
Thanks, Trenloe! To disable these network cards (I have both a VPN and Wifi), is it simply a matter of disconnecting from the VPN and turning Wifi off? Or is disabling a separate operation? Also, how do I set the card to private? I'm on a Mac, so I'm not sure if this is even possible.

Lastly, in your estimation, do the choices I made in the port forwarding setup look correct?

eryndur
April 17th, 2015, 22:28
double post, sorry

eryndur
April 18th, 2015, 03:29
Welp, looks like it was either quitting fully out of my VPN or actually launching a FG session did the trick (or both). Canyouseeme.org came back positive for 1802, and a couple of my players joined successfully! Thanks again, Trenloe!