PDA

View Full Version : What we need to run a 5E campaign?

Salz78
April 16th, 2015, 17:42
Hello! So I plan on starting a 5E campaign with some of my friends. I know printed books are always nice to have for quick reference, but if we buy the modules for FG do we really need the books? Is everything in the books available in FG?

Thanks!

Nylanfs
April 16th, 2015, 17:45
Everything you need is in the modules, unless you want to read the books away from your computer... :)

Salz78
April 16th, 2015, 17:49
Awesome thanks. Also, does each person need to buy the modules, or can I just buy them as the DM and share with my players?

Zacchaeus
April 16th, 2015, 17:58
Awesome thanks. Also, does each person need to buy the modules, or can I just buy them as the DM and share with my players?

Only the DM need buy anything at all. The players can certainly buy the Players Hand Book or one of the Core class modules or the core class and the other one which adds things like feats and stuff. As a DM you'll probably want both the full PHB and the Monster Manual and of course any modules (like Lost Mines of Phylandar) that you want to run. If the DM owns the full PHB then the players don't need anything at all (except of course Fantasy Grounds itself).

Dracones
April 16th, 2015, 21:41
As an example, here's what the reference for the PHB module looks like: https://tarsis.org/me/fg2-phb.png

The bought modules are also really well done. They have the backstory and everything you need to run it: https://tarsis.org/me/fg2-lostmines1.png

But in addition to that, the maps and encounters are all setup so it's basically just buy and play: https://tarsis.org/me/fg2-lostmines2.png

I personally own the physical PHB and DM guide and like having those to read. But someone could pretty easily learn the game with the free basic PDF from the WoTC site, just buy the modules in FG and read the references there for the more advanced rules.

On the adventure module side of things, I just don't see any need for the physical versions if you're just going to run them via FG. Everything you need looks to be there.

Salz78
April 17th, 2015, 00:40
Anyone know how I get skill descriptions? In the character sheet, if I click on a skill there is no description. Is there a module I can buy to get them?

So far I bought: D&D Basic Rules and D&D Character Customization Pack.

Zacchaeus
April 17th, 2015, 15:20
Anyone know how I get skill descriptions? In the character sheet, if I click on a skill there is no description. Is there a module I can buy to get them?

So far I bought: D&D Basic Rules and D&D Character Customization Pack.

The descriptions of the skills don't port over into the character sheet I'm afraid. You'll need to type them in (or get your players to do it :)).

Salz78
April 17th, 2015, 15:33
Ah, that's sad. Well, I already ordered a Player's Handbook, so I guess I'll get to type it all in. I thought it might be possible to play with just the FG modules, but it seems that would be extremely difficult.

Nylanfs
April 17th, 2015, 15:47
The skill descriptions are in the library, you would just have to copy and paste to the char sheet if you really wanted it.

Salz78
April 17th, 2015, 15:49
Oh ok, I looked but didn't see them. I'll definitely go back in and dig around for them.

JohnD
April 17th, 2015, 16:44
Personally I think they should be in there by default.

Dracones
April 17th, 2015, 19:24
Personally I think they should be in there by default.

Yeah, same here. I'm betting it's because the character sheets are in the free core 5E ruleset so they didn't add the skill text for copyright reasons. I wonder if they can just have the PHB or basic library module overwrite that part of the character sheet so the skills have the descriptions in them when a new character sheet is created.

The way Smiteworks is handling 5e is kind of unique to FG. Usually a ruleset is either free or paid for. 5E is sort of a mix of free/basic/full which is probably causing them some headaches that need to be worked out.

DocSharpe
April 23rd, 2015, 21:03
So if I understand this...If I wanted to have all the D&D 5th edition content...

I can get an Ultimate License, and need to get both the Core Packs for Characters and Monsters...and then all my players can access *all* the material using Free Licensed tools?

Dracones
April 23rd, 2015, 21:14
So if I understand this...If I wanted to have all the D&D 5th edition content...

I can get an Ultimate License, and need to get both the Core Packs for Characters and Monsters...and then all my players can access *all* the material using Free Licensed tools?

Yep, that's right.

Griogre
April 23rd, 2015, 21:15
That is correct. It is also the most expensive and "Go Large" option. The only issue with this option is that if you have a group that rotates DMs, buying the non ultimate license and individual class packs can be cheaper overall depending on the group size and number of DMs.

JohnD
April 23rd, 2015, 21:16
Brings up a point; it would be nice if the FG store would allow gifting of products.

Griogre
April 23rd, 2015, 21:19
True, but Steam does allow gifting and it is one of the best things about Steam and since anyone can link their FG to Steam the only problem now is for items in the FG store not on Steam.

Dracones
April 23rd, 2015, 21:27
For someone who DMs all the time, the options seems to be:

Cheap starter option

Subscribe to the $10 a month ultimate license, buy the $3 D&D Basic rules which gets you the 4 core classes and some spells. Play with that to see if you like it.

Full Monty Long Haul Package

Buy the outright ultimate license which never expires. Buy the core class and monster packs. This will give you years of enjoyment.

I'm broke, but not afraid to figure things out package

Get some combination of ultimate/standard edition that works with your players. Use PAR5E to parse in all the rules instead of buying the core and monster class packs. This will take a lot of hours, but you only have to do it once and once you learn how to use PAR5E you can also use it on modules or other 5E content. The downside to this is while you've have the content from the packs and you still have all the 5E rules available in FG, there are some nice addons in the paid for packs you'll miss out on.

Griogre
April 23rd, 2015, 21:53
That's a good summary, but I would also point out the basic rules pack gives the DM's more than 150 monsters as well.

GunnarGreybeard
April 23rd, 2015, 22:13
For someone who DMs all the time, the options seems to be:

Cheap starter option

Subscribe to the $10 a month ultimate license, buy the $3 D&D Basic rules which gets you the 4 core classes and some spells. Play with that to see if you like it.
DocSharpe > IMHO, if you have an established group already and are going to DM all the time, or are likely to be the permanent DM, I would highly recommend going with the above to get started. With the ultimate license, all of your players can connect to you for free on their end, so no risk to them and they will also have access to your purchased content (in this case the Basic Rules content). Play with that for a while, see how it fits your group, and then upgrade, purchase more content as needed. If you use it for just a month it's only $13 out of pocket.

Trenloe
April 23rd, 2015, 23:36
True, but Steam does allow gifting and it is one of the best things about Steam and since anyone can link their FG to Steam the only problem now is for items in the FG store not on Steam.
Note for people considering this - make sure you're *not* gifting FG DLC to someone who uses a Mac. FG Steam DLC is currently not operational on a Mac (compatibility issues with the Steam Client on Mac).