PDA

View Full Version : Want to join a 5th ed DnD

Mulhojr
April 16th, 2015, 06:12
MUST READ FOR ALL PEOPLE VIEWING THIS THREAD

I UPDATE MY ORIGINAL POST REGULARLY TO DISPLAY ACCURATE INFORMATION THERE ARE NO ALTERATIONS HIDING IN LATER POSTS THAT WILL NOT BE DISPLAYED ON THE FIRST ONE.

WE HAVE NOW 6 PLAYERS AND ARE WAITING ON A GM

HOWEVER IF YOU WOULD LIKE FEEL FREE TO STILL APPLY ON THE CALENDAR AS I WONT DELETE PEOPLE UNTIL I KNOW 200% THAT THEY ARE IN.

FG License: At least Full
Game System: D&D 5th ed

Time Zone: GMT10+ Brisbane time (no DLS)
Day of week and time: Friday or Saturday 1900 - Finish at DM discretion (that is 5AM start AEST (GMT-5) early for us nerds I know but is best crossover time)
If new game, planned start date: As Above
Planned Frequency: weekly Friday night
Term: Looking for medium to long term engagement of a group want to do more than just one scenario

Text or Voice: Definately Voice hopefully Video
Voice software used: Skype, Teamspeak, Vent, Steamchat

Roleplay & Combat mix: 50/50
Number of Players in game & needed: 6players 1 DM inc myself.... (SO FAR 6 PLAYERS ACCEPTED)
Character starting level & equipment: 1st Level created character starting equip
Character restrictions: All bar alternate humans. DM who joins can set rules greater than this.

Details of your scenario: Mines of Phalendar

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/?id=1391

Please message and post here if you want to take up the roles of DM or the other players :)

As we are new to FG any specific rules you as DM want to work with we will happily oblige :)

damned
April 16th, 2015, 06:40
Welcome Mulhojr!
Ive run games at 830pm AEST Saturday Night for about 4 years and always had at least one US player in the group. There are more and more AUS players about now too.
That doesnt mean you cant run it say Saturday or Sunday morning and have access to many more US/Canadian players.

https://www.fg-con.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/fg-con-6-150-7.jpg (https://www.fg-con.com/events/)
FG Con 6 – April 17-19th 2015 - register at www.fg-con.com (https://www.fg-con.com/) for all the latest info.

Mulhojr
April 16th, 2015, 07:16
Good to hear damned I am just cautious with times due to playing online games and always having to bend to american timings :)

Mulhojr
April 16th, 2015, 23:43
Since this is getting no replies i will point out we are not bothered really what time this goes ahead and as i have ultimate account i can give it a go as dm with mines of phalendar

JohnD
April 16th, 2015, 23:46
Put up an entry in the game calendar and link to it.

Mulhojr
April 17th, 2015, 00:25
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/index.xcp?id=1391

IronFist
April 17th, 2015, 01:51
would love to get in to a long term game

damned
April 17th, 2015, 02:35
Since this is getting no replies i will point out we are not bothered really what time this goes ahead and as i have ultimate account i can give it a go as dm with mines of phalendar

Hey Mulhojr sometimes a game fills in an hour and sometimes it takes 3 weeks. The gaming gods are fickle indeed. Do not stress if your game doesnt fill straight away or you have to churn through a couple of players initially. It happens. It happens a lot in online rpgs. Every day or every other day post a little more info about your game. Pick a time and advertise it as running at that time. That will help people decide. If no one likes your tie you will know and you can try relisting at an alternate time.

https://www.fg-con.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/fg-con-6-150-10.jpg (https://www.fg-con.com/events/)
FG Con 6 – April 17-19th 2015 - register at www.fg-con.com (https://www.fg-con.com/) for all the latest info.

JohnD
April 17th, 2015, 03:06
You already have several. :)

Getting a game page up always seems to help build a roster.

Mulhojr
April 17th, 2015, 08:26
Hey man sounds good send me a message and we will fleah out details

Mulhojr
April 17th, 2015, 08:28
Thanks for the headsup guys guess im just being a bit impatient ill sort out a solid time tonight and repost

SoldierOfMisfortune
April 18th, 2015, 05:46
I am up for anytime on the weekends and week days 1400hrs-0500hrs CDT for time reference my time now is 2346hrs

IronFist
April 19th, 2015, 17:01
Not sure of the time. I do want to get in. The 1900 if thats est time Friday would be great. I play a game earlier on Sat so after that I have to spend time with the family.

GunnarGreybeard
April 19th, 2015, 18:46
Thanks for the headsup guys guess im just being a bit impatient ill sort out a solid time tonight and repost
I run a weekly 2 hour, text chat only 5e game and it took me few months to get a regular group of 3-4. There were and still are a lot of initial signups to my game who never show or quit after 1 session. I don't think there is a magic formula, you just have to soldier on and eventually you'll end up with a regular group.

Mulhojr
April 20th, 2015, 02:27
no its 1900 GMT 10+ time so EST -5 its 5am friday

IronFist
April 20th, 2015, 02:53
I have to work at that time...

Mulhojr
April 20th, 2015, 02:57
To Iron Fist I accidentally declined you if you can just request again on game calendar if 5AM friday works for you as more than likely one or two are going to drop out which will mean we have space.

MUST READ FOR ALL PEOPLE VIEWING THIS THREAD

I UPDATE MY ORIGINAL POST REGULARLY TO DISPLAY ACCURATE INFORMATION THERE ARE NO ALTERATIONS HIDING IN LATER POSTS THAT WILL NOT BE DISPLAYED ON THE FIRST ONE.

WE HAVE NOW 6 PLAYERS AND ARE WAITING ON A GM

HOWEVER IF YOU WOULD LIKE FEEL FREE TO STILL APPLY ON THE CALENDAR AS I WONT DELETE PEOPLE UNTIL I KNOW 200% THAT THEY ARE IN.

Kerin
April 24th, 2015, 02:39
Hi there, just wondering if this is going ahead tonight? I am a long time player since 1st ed, lately playing Pathfinder but new too 5th ed and very keen to play :)

Mulhojr
April 24th, 2015, 02:56
Hey we are still waiting for a GM to appear if you want just sign up on the game calendar and ill get in contact with you

Kerin
April 24th, 2015, 04:35
Cool have done :)

Mulhojr
April 26th, 2015, 15:16
Accepted you kerin as we had a no resonse person :)

STILL LOOKING FOR A GM

Kerin
April 26th, 2015, 15:53
Cool, hopefully one turns up soon looking forward to playing :)

damned
April 27th, 2015, 12:55
Take the plunge guys - one of you give the GM role a run. Its one way to build up your network of RPGers and its definitely a way to get started sooner.

Mulhojr
April 27th, 2015, 13:05
I would but I have never GM before nor done FG before. Everyone whose joined pretty much has never even done FG. Is it easy to do? i know I could watch the tutorials for help but how difficult is it and do I need to by modules ect

damned
April 27th, 2015, 13:25
Hey mate -
There is absolutely a learning curve. So tell me some info about you currently:

License Type:
RPG experience:
5e experience:
Fantasy Grounds experience:
Can you tell a good story:

There are some really good videos out there. And some really helpful people. If you can let me know where you are at on any of the above and Ill try and get you started and/or get some people in touch with you who can help too.

It is both harder and easier than you might think.

Mulhojr
April 27th, 2015, 14:08
Licence : Ultimate sub
RPG EXP: Most RPG computer games as for tabletop a game called highworld
5e exp: none I have the starter set physically but due to personal reasons havent got to play it yet
FG Exp: None
Story: Given preparation definately

damned
April 27th, 2015, 14:18
so lets treat this like a side project.
while you keep recruiting for a GM we will work on teaching you some basics at the same time :)

first thing you want to do is download the free D&D Basic Rules PDF (and while you are at it pay the $3 for the Basic Rules in FG so you can play along) and start reading them... yeah it will take a little while but there is no hurry.
the second thing you want to do - and you can do these in any order - is watch a video like this one by Xorn - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80a8xuONrj0 - take you a lazy hour but it will give you a bit of a feel around the 5e ruleset and the FG table top
some other real short videos that are useful for a gm - but are not 5e specific - are these short 2-7min each (low quality productions) https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLsgd1zJLdiKUrEd85Dqr6UcaaLvD7YlJd

at any time - holler for some clarification and when you are ready i (or ill find someone else to) can join you for a short test and/or demo/lesson etc to kick you along :)

Nylanfs
April 27th, 2015, 15:07
Watch any of Xorn's (https://www.twitch.tv/eugeetv/profile) or FSHSchmo's (https://www.twitch.tv/fshschmo/profile) game video's on twitch for good story tips.

BBGaming
April 27th, 2015, 20:29
Hello!

I might be interested in being a DM for your all. I live in Japan so the requested time is pretty good for me - but I'm teaching on Friday night so I would need to go for Saturday night instead.

I've owned FG for years but have never had the chance to do much with it. I remember I played in one game with a friend almost 10 years ago.

This means I would be a NEW GM on FG and you all would be my first group. Don't know how you may feel about that.

I'm in my mid 40's and have DMed nearly every edition of D&D over the years - though I do not get a chance to play very often.

If you want to learn a little more about me you can check out my YouTube channel Black Belt Gaming. I playthrough and discuss board games and RPG's (like AD&D 1st edition) on there. I've even "GMed" some play by YouTube games for folks playing Descent 2nd edition (board game) and Edge of the Empire (Star Wars RPG).

I run my own business here in Japan and it (along with my wife and son) can keep me incredibly busy. Playing through something like FG might be the best option for me to get in some D&D play time!

Let me know what you think and I'll keep checking things out on this end. I need to take a look at the adventure and see if it is something I can run for you guys and I also need to double check and make sure I can clear out Saturday nights to game with everyone.

Thanks
Robert

jh79
April 27th, 2015, 21:29
Hi Mullhojr, I read above you have never been a DM or exp with FG? I also think that you, or one of your players should take the plunge as a DM if you can't find one. As far as new to FG you can't find a better supporting community honestly imo. If you need any FG pointers, and I mean hands on, I would be glad to jump into TeamSpeak with you and show you the whole FG 5e system if that is what you choose from top to bottom. Having someone show you all the gizmo's really takes the learning curve right out of it. Just PM me if you would like to move forward with that.

As far as you never Dming, you really should give it a go. I DM a large group here on fantasy grounds for 5e, and have been the DM pretty much all my life since I was a child, and find it EXTREMELY rewarding. Anyone can DM yes, but good Dming is not as easy as some will tell you, but following certain guidelines will reduce the learning curve immensely...

I believe the DM position is the most rewarding, and is why I have chosen to do it for many years. You get to play all the monsters and NPC's, never a boring moment and you get to act on every turn and not just sit there and wait for your turn as a player, whats better than that? :)

I have recently introduced sounds and music, epic sound tracks, and battle sounds of fighting and also monster sounds, roars, ect, into my 5e campaign, along with many visuals and pictures. These are just some things you can do to engross your players even more. I like to prep all my stuff before game day so the story flows nice and smooth.

An acquired skill is descriptive story telling and combat scenes. Try and avoid what I call battleship (the game) combat, you hit!... you miss!.. describe it out, it really makes a big difference.. Some can do this naturally, but for me it was definitely acquired with time.

I think if you follow a few other simple guidelines you will avoid many starting mistakes as a DM. For instance; just be the narrator in a shared story with your players, never try to interject yourself in player affairs or play "God". Never tell a player they would not do something because their character wouldn't do that in the world, or can't physically do something in the world they are physically capable of doing. That is the biggest turn off for a player and is the biggest mistake I see.

Secondly, be careful that one loud or overbearing player doesn't ruin the fun for everyone else, perhaps they have a trinket they feel is great and must show it off over and over again, or maybe a flaw they have that they go overboard with, and take over the story-line, and the story-line becomes lost. The story must come first for the enjoyment of everyone. In this case the DM must step in privately, and ask the over zealous player to tone it down with their own agendas for the good of the whole group.

And lastly and maybe the most difficult, I think a sign of a good DM is balanced encounters, and this can get tricky sometimes with all the variables, but should be dealt with and tested out beforehand in your prep, maybe checking CR encounter tables, ect. There are some actual programs I use online to help me with this. Without balanced encounters players will find it to easy and boring. There must exist a thin line between living and dying.

I personally don't fudge dice, but some do, but be careful if you do. Some of my players have died but most keep coming back, 95%, which tells me they like a sense of danger while adventuring. Again if you need any hands on help with FG just PM me.

Good luck, and I hope you and you group do well here on FG!

Mulhojr
April 28th, 2015, 06:47
Saturday Night is definately workable and since everyone will be new to this no one I can see will get aggravated if you would like to join the game calender we can start organising everything for a saturday night!

Mulhojr
April 28th, 2015, 06:55
To JH79 and Damned

Thank you for the support I will definitely start watching the tutorials and will contact you guys if I have any questions about it. From the looks of things Australia could use a few more GMs running around on FG :) I actually own the hardcopy DnD monster manual, players manual and dungeon masters guide for 5thED so I guess I should buckle down and really start reading it all. I will definitely start reading up and learning in preparation for becoming a GM.

I must say I'm really impressed with the community so far on FG you have all been really helpful and encouraging.

GunnarGreybeard
April 28th, 2015, 07:01
From the looks of things Australia could use a few more GMs running around on FG :) Based on the recent influx of new players looking for games, we could stand to have more 5e GM's from anywhere we can get them.

damned
April 28th, 2015, 07:08
To JH79 and Damned

Thank you for the support I will definitely start watching the tutorials and will contact you guys if I have any questions about it. From the looks of things Australia could use a few more GMs running around on FG :) I actually own the hardcopy DnD monster manual, players manual and dungeon masters guide for 5thED so I guess I should buckle down and really start reading it all. I will definitely start reading up and learning in preparation for becoming a GM.

I must say I'm really impressed with the community so far on FG you have all been really helpful and encouraging.

There are a few AUS GMs. I can think of about 12 off the top of my head. You gotta remember were special down here.

Art Wendorf
April 28th, 2015, 13:26
If you need any FG pointers, and I mean hands on, I would be glad to jump into TeamSpeak with you and show you the whole FG 5e system if that is what you choose from top to bottom. Having someone show you all the gizmo's really takes the learning curve right out of it. Just PM me if you would like to move forward with that.I don't know about Mullhojr, but I might take you up on that and I've been DMing in one form or another for 35 years! Ha!

As far as you never Dming, you really should give it a go. I DM a large group here on fantasy grounds for 5e, and have been the DM pretty much all my life since I was a child, and find it EXTREMELY rewarding. ^^^ This, Mullhojr. So much this. DM is very fun once you get the hang of it. But like so many things, it take some practice. Take the plunge. The worse that can happen is that you don't like it. The best is that it'll take over your life! Oh, well, I guess that isn't the best. ;)

jh79
April 28th, 2015, 14:11
The best is that it'll take over your life! Oh, well, I guess that isn't the best.

Haha, it hasn't completely taken over my life, the majority of my time is spent doing completely unrelated things to prevent spouse aggro so I can play on the weekend ;)

I don't know about Mullhojr, but I might take you up on that and I've been DMing in one form or another for 35 years!

Sure, I would be happy to show you all the FG DM interface from the DM perspective. Of course to show you everything you would need the Ultimate Licence version to move along and see all the buttons because it would be hands on. If we get enough people we could just have a FG class type session with some simulated combat :).

I could do it on the weekend on Saturdays, in the morning all the way up to the afternoon when I have my 5e game session, PM me if interested and include the date and time of the Saturday you could attend. If you are not in the United States just tell me what time works for you, I am an early riser in the morning so im sure we could coordinate a time.

damned
April 28th, 2015, 14:36
Haha, it hasn't completely taken over my life, the majority of my time is spent doing completely unrelated things to prevent spouse aggro so I can play on the weekend ;)

Sure, I would be happy to show you all the FG DM interface from the DM perspective. Of course to show you everything you would need the Ultimate Licence version to move along and see all the buttons because it would be hands on. If we get enough people we could just have a FG class type session with some simulated combat :).

I could do it on the weekend on Saturdays, in the morning all the way up to the afternoon when I have my 5e game session, PM me if interested and include the date and time of the Saturday you could attend. If you are not in the United States just tell me what time works for you, I am an early riser in the morning so im sure we could coordinate a time.

Guys this is a great opportunity. If you get a couple of fresh GMs together and can corodinate an hour with jh79 you will really get a lot out of it.
It is daunting at first. It gets better - not always quickly but does get easier all the time.

jh79
April 28th, 2015, 15:39
Guys this is a great opportunity. If you get a couple of fresh GMs together and can corodinate an hour with jh79 you will really get a lot out of it.
It is daunting at first. It gets better - not always quickly but does get easier all the time.

To be realistic, the 5e FG training class would probably be around 2.5 - 3 hours, maybe 2 hours as I get a curriculum established. An hour just wouldn't be enough time to thoroughly cover hands on all aspects of FG and how it works with 5e.

This would include building a module for your players with the story button, effects, combat tracker, linking pictures, making and adding NPC's, adding treasure parcels, items, all the 5e buttons, little golden nuggets that many people don't know exist in FG, etc.. my intention is to take the learning curve out of the picture with a hands on approach.

In addition to everything stated above, you would be learning 5e inadvertently, so time has to be allotted to answer any 5e questions and how it works with FG.

So if you are serious and excited about learning both 5e and 5e FG, and have an Ultimate Licence, please allot yourself a three hour window on a Saturday morning for a full 5e FG training class and PM me your availability.

GunnarGreybeard
April 28th, 2015, 16:02
It would probably be just as beneficial to do multiple 1 hour blocks of instructions with each one covering different aspects such as the Combat Tracker, Party Sheet, NPCs, etc.

jh79
April 28th, 2015, 16:24
For my specific situation, I can only allot 3 hour time frames on Saturday mornings unfortunately, it would have to fit into my only free time for it, so I couldn't schedule different 1 hour time frames at different times or days. If other people could offer the 1 hour sessions on different days or times, please feel free to step in. My original offer of 3 hour training sessions is still open for all 5e FG DM's on Saturday mornings, one training session per person, please have pen and paper to take notes with, or have notepad ready, a lot of information will be covered.

BBGaming
April 28th, 2015, 16:34
For my specific situation, I can only allot that one 3 hour time frame on Saturday morning unfortunately, it would have to fit into my only free time for it, so I couldn't schedule different 1 hour time frames at different times or days. If other people could offer the 1 hour sessions on different days or times, please feel free to step in. My original offer of a one time 3 hour training session is still open for all 5e FG DM's on Saturday mornings.

jh79 -- Since I am planning on GMing in the near future, I sure could use the lesson.

I'm in Japan so Saturday morning in Florida for you jh79 would be Saturday night for me - and that would be fine.

Count me interested.

Mulhojr --- I cannot seem to connect to the calender link in your first page post. I always get an error. Not sure why.

Robert

jh79
April 28th, 2015, 17:01
jh79 -- Since I am planning on GMing in the near future, I sure could use the lesson.

I'm in Japan so Saturday morning in Florida for you jh79 would be Saturday night for me - and that would be fine.

Count me interested.

Mulhojr --- I cannot seem to connect to the calender link in your first page post. I always get an error. Not sure why.

Robert

PM sent.

Trenloe
April 28th, 2015, 18:35
It would probably be just as beneficial to do multiple 1 hour blocks of instructions with each one covering different aspects such as the Combat Tracker, Party Sheet, NPCs, etc.
And video them so that others can use them as reference in future.

jh79
April 28th, 2015, 19:33
And video them so that others can use them as reference in future.

I feel there are already plenty of high quality 5e videos made by a lot of upstanding FG Community members and videoing them would be redundant imo, also some people learn better with someone actually there to answer their questions then watching a video. I'm just trying to offer something different, so I won't be videoing.

The focus of my training would be personal, not quite face to face but close, and hands on with me there to answer the questions on the spot. If anyone wants to see 5e videos I would highly suggest Xorn's video series and there are others also, if that is the way you enjoy learning. If you want a personal class over TeamSpeak, PM me. Going to wait until I have 3 or 4 or so people before the first one, already have a couple.

Now I feel I have already hijacked this thread, apologize to the OP, so again if anyone wants this please PM me:)

Kerin
April 30th, 2015, 11:36
Hey BBGaming, Interesting Youtube channel :)
As I have pretty much spent most of my gaming career as a GM I would really like to be a player this time, also I have no experience in FG and have not played 5e as yet.
I have however played since 1e as well as Pathfinder so I hope too pick it up fairly quickly. Friday or Saturday suits for me btw :)

rhammer2
May 1st, 2015, 08:25
This sounds great. I generally only have time for playing on Saturdays.

If you get a group together, I would be interested. I'm currently running through all the online tutorials I can find on using FG. Looks pretty straight forward for playing, GMing appears to be where it starts to get a bit complex.

Robert

BBGaming
May 1st, 2015, 10:28
Hello everyone

I'm still working on some connection issues. Almost there I hope.

BBG Robert

Art Wendorf
May 1st, 2015, 13:47
To be realistic, the 5e FG training class would probably be around 2.5 - 3 hours, maybe 2 hours as I get a curriculum established. An hour just wouldn't be enough time to thoroughly cover hands on all aspects of FG and how it works with 5e. This sounds wonderful and is exactly what I need! I pm'ed you this:

While I'm on anesthesia call at the hospital this weekend, next weekend I'm more or less free all day Saturday. I'm on California time, but I seldom sleep past 5 am (dang brain won't shut off! Curses!) I have the Ultimate License and the 5e add-on/module/paid-for-thingies.

Shoot me a time and I'll be there!"

But I think I should add that I'm willing to get up even earlier (I'm usually up by 4 am every day to run so that I can feed my face with whatever I want during the day and not become HUGE!). Basically, give me a time for any Saturday but this Saturday and I should be there. (I say should because, as adults, I think we all know that life has a way of... interfering with our fun. Doesn't it? ;)

damned
May 1st, 2015, 13:52
Hello everyone

I'm still working on some connection issues. Almost there I hope.

BBG Robert

Doh! Still working on them.... will get there soon.

BBGaming
May 1st, 2015, 17:13
Doh! Still working on them.... will get there soon.

Thank you for all the hard work Damned!! I know we didn't get the perfect solution - but thanks to you I have some options that may work!

I tested a connection with Mulhojr tonight and it worked - just slow going at first.

I'm looking forward to the game (either as the planned GM or a player if necessary).

Swibble
May 1st, 2015, 23:50
Wow that's my timezone-- looks like you have 6 players already though?

If you have a space available I'd definitely want to play. I've never really played properly. My dumbass friends never wanted to play after I bought 3.5 as a kid. I heard 5E was simpler and I hope that's true because I'm pretty sure my first 3.5 character took 6 hours to make.

Kerin
May 7th, 2015, 13:04
ok dumb question I only have the demo version can I still premake my character? I had a try and seems like there is allot of stuff missing?

damned
May 7th, 2015, 13:21
ok dumb question I only have the demo version can I still premake my character? I had a try and seems like there is allot of stuff missing?

You have all the mechanics - but to get access to all the source books you have to buy the source books. some combination of Basic rules, individual classes, complete core class etc.
Or you can use your hardcover copy and manually enter the data.

Mulhojr
May 7th, 2015, 17:41
I manually imputed everything just takes a bit of time

Kerin
May 8th, 2015, 08:48
ok will give it a go tonight :D

Kerin
May 10th, 2015, 10:05
Ok I Think I have done everything right, sorry to bring this up so late but im testing teamspeak as not used it in years and im getting bad echo with the mic?

damned
May 10th, 2015, 10:54
headset and mic?
make sure that both your input and output devices are set to the headset.
if its not a headset and mic - get one.
:)

Kerin
May 10th, 2015, 11:13
I couldnt find my headset :(
Im Hoping I have fixed the issue if not I will get one this week

Kerin
May 10th, 2015, 15:50
Hey I had a great time, think we will get the hang of it eventually :D

BBGaming
May 10th, 2015, 16:00
I had a great time getting to know everyone and trying out Fantasy Grounds. Let's do it again!!! :)

Kerin
May 15th, 2015, 02:42
Looking forward too tomorrow night :D