PDA

View Full Version : Horror on the Orient Express plans

CrawlingChaox
April 15th, 2015, 10:01
Hey folks,
are there any plans to convert the new edition of the Horror on the Orient Express campaign as a module for Fantasy Grounds? Have any users tried running it on Fantasy Grounds?

MadBeardMan
September 14th, 2015, 00:00
Hi Lukja,

I just asked this question as I've just started to create the module for FG.

Cheers

Trenloe
September 14th, 2015, 00:54
There's an agreement with Chaosium to allow licenses for commercial conversions of their products. Horror on the Orient Express is covered by copyright and any unofficial conversion can't be shared/distributed. If either of you are interested in doing a full commercial conversion then reach out to ddavison. Some info on conversions here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?11156-Want-to-produce-official-FG-products-adventures-rulesets

ianmward
September 14th, 2015, 05:45
I was planning on it, but as I haven't even bought it yet, I'll be happy to use yours.... :-)

ianmward
September 14th, 2015, 05:47
Oh... And when you start playtesting, be sure to make it at an Australia friendly time :-)

damned
September 14th, 2015, 09:53
Oh... And when you start playtesting, be sure to make it at an Australia friendly time :-)

Australians ae friendly all the time.

MadBeardMan
September 14th, 2015, 13:56
There's an agreement with Chaosium to allow licenses for commercial conversions of their products. Horror on the Orient Express is covered by copyright and any unofficial conversion can't be shared/distributed. If either of you are interested in doing a full commercial conversion then reach out to ddavison. Some info on conversions here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?11156-Want-to-produce-official-FG-products-adventures-rulesets

Hi Trenloe,

I'm already developing Fatal Experiments for FG and Doug knows as I've kept him in the loop (it's ready to go this week I think). So I spoke to him about HotOE and he suggested posting here to find out if anyone else had started it, or wanted to help etc. I'm finding FG excellent and love converting stuff and using my coding background to hopefully do more than modules...

Cheers
Colin

MadBeardMan
September 14th, 2015, 14:01

Defo, one of my group is in Perth (English Chum)...

Trenloe
September 14th, 2015, 14:02
I'm already developing Fatal Experiments for FG...
Fantastic!

Also nice that you're interested in converting HotOE. From your other thread it wasn't obvious (at least not to me) that you were interested in starting an official conversion.

MadBeardMan
September 14th, 2015, 14:24
Fantastic!

Also nice that you're interested in converting HotOE. From your other thread it wasn't obvious (at least not to me) that you were interested in starting an official conversion.

Apologies, half the time my brain is already working on the next issue and leaves my fingers behind!

I'm having fun with Fatal Experiments, it's not the best book to convert (lack of any maps for the 1st adventure) and cutting my teeth on it, so hope that I've done it all properly. But it's the first of many, I'm toying with doing "Beyond the Mountains of Madness" alongside HotOE as I find working on 2-5 projects good for my sanity. When one gets boring, move onto the next, plus I think BtMoM is such a fantastic book (and it's just a single book - unlike HotOE!).

Cheers

Trenloe
September 14th, 2015, 16:06
No worries at all.

Re maps - Yeah, I've found quite a few scenarios (not just CoC ones) that need maps making/adjusting to make the VTT experience better (or even just playable). Quite often the maps are produced as GM maps, assuming the GM would describe or sketch out what the players see when playing face-to-face. That, mostly, doesn't work too well on a VTT so a modified player map is sometimes needed. I'm usually torn between doing a faithful reproduction of the original (warts and all) and making the scenario "better" (IMHO) for VTT play (the latter usually wins out). Most FG converters will include a "conversion notes" story entry so that people are aware of what has been changed from the original.

For a recent CoC conversion I re-did the maps - as the ones in the base scenario were spoiler(ish) if shared directly with the players. An example of the map can be found here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?25794-Working-on-a-CoC-conversion-map-preview

If you're familiar with Campaign Cartographer, there are three great annual months for classic CoC - allows creation of base floorplans (https://www.profantasy.com/annual/2011/april11.html) (what I used for the map shown in the thread linked above), town/city maps (https://www.profantasy.com/annual/2011/december11.html)and area maps (https://www.profantasy.com/annual/2013/december13.html)with a period feel.

MadBeardMan
September 14th, 2015, 16:38
Ah maps. Yes, I know what you mean. I am undecided on the maps for the Fatal Experiments section. They're very Chaosium of the late 80's, ie very basic. The ones I've ripped from the PDF are ok most of the time as is, only a few need a GM and player version.

I'd love to learn how to do the maps myself and let the art team we have work on nothing but tokens (they've finished a Shadowrun Token set - that's with Doug awaiting store appearance). If I wasn't a software developer I'd have been a graphic designer and would love to dust off the tablet.

So cheers for those links, I'm at work at the moment, but tonight I'll click the links and have a play - nice one chap!

I'm looking for any advice on conversions, if you want to have a look I can ask Doug to give you beta access. I'm cool with honest feedback, good, bad or utterly rubbish as long as it's honest. Plus any clues how to sort issues you find, for example I'd love to know how to add line feeds into speech bubbles, add a line across a story (so to split a section). etc.

Here's a screeny of the conversion (taken a week ago).

Each story element has links to maps/characters, plus a link to the next story section etc.

Cheers

Trenloe
September 14th, 2015, 16:50
I'm looking for any advice on conversions, if you want to have a look I can ask Doug to give you beta access. I'm cool with honest feedback, good, bad or utterly rubbish as long as it's honest. Plus any clues how to sort issues you find, for example I'd love to know how to add line feeds into speech bubbles, add a line across a story (so to split a section). etc.
Sure, ask Doug to give me access so I can have a look. I've edited quite a few FG modules beforehand - but don't expect me to do a full edit on this one! :o

You might ask Doug to give you access to a CoC conversion I did recently, it might give you some ideas/pointers: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store/product.xcp?id=CHA0321AFG

MadBeardMan
September 14th, 2015, 17:01
Sure, ask Doug to give me access so I can have a look. I've edited quite a few FG modules beforehand - but don't expect me to do a full edit on this one! :o

You might ask Doug to give you access to a CoC conversion I did recently, it might give you some ideas/pointers: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store/product.xcp?id=CHA0321AFG

At $2.99 I'll buy it chap and have a butchers. In £ that's less than a cup of coffee (and 2/3 of a pint of Ale).

As for feedback, no need to edit anything, feel free though - but good help, makes the next one better and so on, and I'd love to convert all the scenarios I have, which is vast as I first played CoC in 1986 and since then fell in love with it more and more (insane some could say).

Trenloe
September 14th, 2015, 17:23
I first played CoC in 1986 and since then fell in love with it more and more
That's probably around the time that I picked up my first copy. The Games Workshop published 2nd edition from their store in Newcastle - Yes, I'm English. :)

(insane some could say).
You're only truly insane when your SAN hits zero...

MadBeardMan
September 14th, 2015, 17:31
That's probably around the time that I picked up my first copy. The Games Workshop published 2nd edition from their store in Newcastle - Yes, I'm English. :)

You're only truly insane when your SAN hits zero...

Crumbs that does bring back the memories. No idea what happened to my 2nd edition, I think I upgraded to 3rd when GW released that lovely hardback! I can't wait for my 7th Ed Hardbacks to turn up, there's nothing better than flicking through a brand spanking new edition.

My SAN hit 0 many many years ago, my kids helped with that!

But getting into the groove now and only my day job (and evening job), and family get in the way of me producing it quickly!

Trenloe
September 14th, 2015, 17:54
At $2.99 I'll buy it chap and have a butchers.
Woo hoo - thanks! That's another small step towards my ambition of being able to buy one beer off the developer payment for this. :)

MadBeardMan
September 14th, 2015, 19:38
Woo hoo - thanks! That's another small step towards my ambition of being able to buy one beer off the developer payment for this. :)

Well no idea how you get informed, but I just paid the £2.01 for it. Soon as the kids are in bed I'll have a good look-see and maybe bug you for some advice. So are you in the USA these days (rather than Newcastle)?

I see the mapping tool requires buying, not a biggy, lucky for me I'm ok with money at the moment, soon as the kids are all grown I'm sure that'll change, until then I hope to have plenty of products for sale here so my own beer fund never runs dry!

Trenloe
September 14th, 2015, 19:44
So are you in the USA these days (rather than Newcastle)?
Yeah, haven't lived in the UK for over 10 years. I was just north of you (in Huddersfield) for 15 years - went to Uni there and stayed on.

I see the mapping tool requires buying,
Yeah, costs a bit, but I find it very useful - as I have no artistic ability when it comes to images/maps. Campaign Cartographer has a steep learning curve (just like Fantasy Grounds?) but is worth spending the time to learn - it's more like using CAD software in the way it handles objects (which works well for me) and the way it implements effects is where average maps change at the press of a button to be very good maps. There are some good tutorial docs that come with it and Joe Sweeney's youtube videos are a godsend.

I've thrown together a few maps using CC over the years. Some available here: https://www.cartographersguild.com/album.php?&u=23781

MadBeardMan
September 14th, 2015, 19:53
Yeah, haven't lived in the UK for over 10 years. I was just north of you (in Huddersfield) for 15 years - went to Uni there and stayed on.

You lucky so and so. I'm planning to come to Gen Con next year, first trip to the US for my old body (and brain)!

Yeah, costs a bit, but I find it very useful - as I have no artistic ability when it comes to images/maps. Campaign Cartographer has a steep learning curve (just like Fantasy Grounds?) but is worth spending the time to learn - it's more like using CAD software in the way it handles objects (which works well for me) and the way it implements effects is where average maps change at the press of a button to be very good maps. There are some good tutorial docs that come with it and Joe Sweeney's youtube videos are a godsend.

I've thrown together a few maps using CC over the years. Some available here: https://www.cartographersguild.com/album.php?&u=23781

Super well done, I'll buy it and have a play tomorrow night.

One question please, how did you change the 'Story Icon' to the Yellow icon? - Worked it out :)

Cheers again :)

MadBeardMan
September 15th, 2015, 16:16
Afternoon Chaps,

Just finishing up Fatal Experiments tonight, started looking through HotOE....plus looking at doing 'Beyond the Mountains of Madness' as it's a lot smaller to keep me sane...

Cheers

ianmward
September 15th, 2015, 22:16
Bring 'em on! If you need help or playtesters, let me know.

MadBeardMan
September 15th, 2015, 23:17
Bring 'em on! If you need help or playtesters, let me know.

Will do old bean.

Just finished Fatal Experiments - now to learn how to export it as a module.... then send to Doug so you (Ianmward) and Tremloe can have a look-see, and see if I'm rubbish or not at this.

ianmward
September 15th, 2015, 23:19
/export in the chat window... Then fill in the details and right click -> export.

MadBeardMan
September 15th, 2015, 23:25
Oh bugger, notes can't be exported :( - presume I must re-do these as story elements. Also got an oddity, my images have 2 thumbnails... just for 2 of them.

ianmward
September 15th, 2015, 23:33
Yes, the notes will be a better as stories. Did you do many? If so, you might be able to edit the campaign XML to convert them.

Not sure what you mean about the image thumbnails...

MadBeardMan
September 15th, 2015, 23:39
Did 12 notes, the thumbnails turned out to be new groups (didn't know about that - nice feature).

I'll redo the notes as story elements, they just info on new laws etc.

Trenloe
September 15th, 2015, 23:41
Might be a bit late now, but some good info in here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/di3nqy12089885k/Adventureaweek%20-%20FG%20conversion%20notes%20V3.pdf?dl=0

The numbered list on the first few pages are most important. Especially item #2 - make sure you've optimised your maps for FG, don't just export from the PDF and use as is.

MadBeardMan
September 15th, 2015, 23:52
Ah ok, don't worry - it's just in Beta for you chaps to have a look at. I'll make sure the maps/images are all sized up. Not done any player maps yet - awaiting feedback if possible. Had my head stuck in this for too long, can't see the wood for the trees..

Btw Doug sent me a PDF of that file for me to learn from :)

Trenloe
September 15th, 2015, 23:54
Ah ok, don't worry - it's just in Beta for you chaps to have a look at. I'll make sure the maps/images are all sized up. Not done any player maps yet - awaiting feedback if possible. Had my head stuck in this for too long, can't see the wood for the trees..
Yeah, sometimes you need to let it lose so that others (and you) can take a fresh look at it. It's amazing how many issues you see yourself once it's released (I still have to do a couple of minor updates for The Devil is in the Details that I noticed as soon as it was put on the store).

MadBeardMan
September 16th, 2015, 00:23
Yep very true. Re-done all the notes, exported. Need to make a thumbnail - any clues on that at all dear chaps?

Trenloe
September 16th, 2015, 00:33
Need to make a thumbnail - any clues on that at all dear chaps?
30 degree counter-clockwise rotation, then resize to PNG file, 82 x 87 pixels.

At least that's what I used for The Devil is in the Details (attached).

As seen here:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/39085830/Screenshots/Fantasy%20Grounds/Call%20of%20Cthulhu/Devil%20in%20the%20Detail%20thumbnail.jpg

Trenloe
September 16th, 2015, 00:39
You can put the thumbnail into the .mod afterwards. Just name thumbnail.png and add to the .mod file structure.

MadBeardMan
September 16th, 2015, 00:43
What tool did you use? I just copied the front page to a large .png.

I have Paint and GIMP, no expert though.

I'll use it on the export though so it's all in the one file so I can send to Doug.

Trenloe
September 16th, 2015, 00:57
I use GIMP. Load up the file and:

Go to Layer -> Transform -> Arbitrary rotation.
Type in -30 for the "Angle" and press "Rotate".
Image -> Autocrop image (this exapands to match the dimensions of the rotated image).
Image -> Scale Image. Click the chain icon to the right of the width/height fields so that it "breaks". Enter width = 82, height = 87 pixels (px) and press "Scale".
File -> Export As. Enter thumbnail.png in the name field, select where you want to save and press the "Export" button.

MadBeardMan
September 16th, 2015, 01:03
I use GIMP. Load up the file and:

Go to Layer -> Transform -> Arbitrary rotation.
Type in -30 for the "Angle" and press "Rotate".
Image -> Autocrop image (this exapands to match the dimensions of the rotated image).
Image -> Scale Image. Click the chain icon to the right of the width/height fields so that it "breaks". Enter width = 82, height = 87 pixels (px) and press "Scale".
File -> Export As. Enter thumbnail.png in the name field, select where you want to save and press the "Export" button.

You sir are a scolar - if we ever meet I'll furnish you with ales.

All I needed was the Autocrop image, looks good, about to Dropbox it and send it to Doug then go to bed, it's 1am - kids up in 6 hours!

I've asked him to give you and Ianmward beta access - be gentle :)

Cheers!