PDA

View Full Version : Locking Map Window?

zarlor
April 15th, 2015, 02:32
I've set up a display I had with a Multi-touch screen overlay that we're using on our tabletop for in-person gaming and we've run into an issue where touching the screen (the guys like using minis and want to place and move them on the displayed map that way) ends up moving the entire map window when it's zoomed in (just as if you did left-click-hold and move with the mouse), which we have set up as an FG client. Is there a way to lock that map view so it won't scroll unless we do something else to allow it?

damned
April 15th, 2015, 11:40
Hi Zarlor - welcome!
As Fantasy Grounds is not touch screen or gesture aware Im afraid you probably need to look for an O/S fix to the issue. Can you disable touch once you have set it up? Just re-enable it when you want to move the map deliberately?

https://www.fg-con.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/fg-con-6-150-6.jpg (https://www.fg-con.com/events/)
FG Con 6 – April 17-19th 2015 - register at www.fg-con.com (https://www.fg-con.com/) for all the latest info.

zarlor
April 15th, 2015, 19:45
I may just have to look at doing something like reassigning the mouse buttons. Switching right and left-click functions would probably work well enough. I'll try to play around and if I come up with any decent solutions I'll let folks know. I do realize it wasn't built with touch screens in mind, I just thought I'd check to see if there was some way within the program to change how that behaved is all. Thanks for the help!

zarlor
April 21st, 2015, 15:52
For anyone else following this, if you're using tokens within FG this is probably not a real issue for you, but for those with players who just insist on using minis in this way it's a major pain. For my setup it looks like simply going into the Mouse setting under Control Panel and switching the mouse buttons there worked correctly for my mouse, but not for the touch screen. Instead I had to get program called AutoHotkey. After installing I created a file I called touchscreeen.ahk with the following lines:

RButton::LButton
LButton::RButton

Save the file, double-click it and your mouse button functions should be all switched up (all of this assumes,of course, that your touchscreen registers itself as a mouse in Windows.) In this way simply doing a quick touch on the screen will pull up the normal right-click functional menu and to move things you would need to press and hold on the screen before that would work. That may mean you'd still have the same problem as before with a single miniature on the screen, but with multiple miniatures (at least on a multi-touch screen) the other figures will override the single spot issue of moving the map window around on you. Perhaps not the most elegant solution (and if anyone has a better one please do let me know!) but it does the trick, at least.

Nickademus
April 21st, 2015, 16:45
Kudos on the good solution. But why is it an issue for only one mini? Can't you just put a small object in the corner of the touch screen to make it register the single mini and a second touch?

Edit: It seems that FG doesn't register the next right-click when the radial menu is open. So just keep a small object in the corner of the screen and when player/GM pick up a mini to move it, have them quickly pick up and set down the object in the corner. That should keep the radial menu out of the main play area and lock the map from moving.

zarlor
April 22nd, 2015, 17:53
Good point. Most of the time we have more than one object on the table anyway, so it isn't an issue. Thanks for the tip, though!

zarlor
April 27th, 2015, 15:23
Well, I hate to say it, but after more extensive use Friday night that method worked a tad better but we still ended up with times where the screed would zoom out on it's own, presumably due to the interaction between any two given figures that for whatever reason seem to register with the touch screen at any given time. I think it may be time to just try and get the guys to use the tokens in FG instead. The minis just seem to mess with the set-up a little too much.

Nylanfs
April 27th, 2015, 15:48
How about using a projector to display the FG screen on the table?

zarlor
May 4th, 2015, 16:28
Well, I could just remove the touchscreen from the monitor to accomplish the same thing. To be honest I would like to get the guys to use tokens anyway so this may be a way to force the issue,but if that ends up being too cumbersome for them we'll likely have to just revert to removing the touchscreen (and the waste of money it would have ended up being.Oh well.)