PDA

View Full Version : Encumbrance and the Goliath

VenomousFiligree
April 14th, 2015, 20:37
Can the Encumbrance formula be tweaked to allow for the Goliath's Powerful Build trait?

Zacchaeus
April 14th, 2015, 20:56
Can you enlighten me as to what this is? i.e. where in the PHB is this?

VenomousFiligree
April 14th, 2015, 21:01
Page 176

Size and Strength. Larger creatures can bear more weight, whereas Tiny creatures can carry less. For each size category above Medium, double the creature’s carrying capacity and the amount it can push, drag, or lift. For a Tiny creature, halve these weights.

Under Goliath

Powerful Build. You count as one size larger when determining your carrying capacity and the weight you can push, drag, or lift.

Zacchaeus
April 14th, 2015, 21:14
Sorry, just being curious because I can't answer you question (perhaps this is something you should put into the wish list) but I can't find Goliath anywhere in the PHB.

VenomousFiligree
April 14th, 2015, 21:15
Goliath can be found here (https://www.dndclassics.com/product/145542/Elemental-Evil-Players-Companion-5e?filters=0_0_45190).

Zacchaeus
April 14th, 2015, 21:18
Ah-Ha! You were trying to bamboozle me weren't you :)

Seriously though it's something for the wish list I think.

EDIT: mind you if that companion gets added into FG, well .....

VenomousFiligree
April 14th, 2015, 21:19
Not really. Smiteworks have said they're producing the Princes of the Apocalypse adventure so it should be on the cards, not a wish.

buvan11
May 21st, 2018, 06:59
Can I ask another thing ... I comprehend the race entry and the "Race Characteristics ~ Goliath" bit, however how does the programme understand that the race characteristics are the numerous capacities here (Effective Build etc.)? Is it due to the ". Goliath Race (https://dndguide.com/races/goliath) Quality" modifier in their TYPE section? Also, why does "Race Traits ~ Goliath" not have a TRICK descriptor?

Zacchaeus
May 21st, 2018, 09:06
Hi buvan11 welcome to FG.

Are you talking about encumbrance? I'm not entirely sure what your question actually is. If it is about encumbrance that's calculated according to the characters strength. In the case of the Goliath special code was written to handle it's Powerful Build trait. I don't know what a TRICK descriptor is; can you give us more information on what you mean please.

The High Druid
July 18th, 2018, 00:16
Hi buvan11 welcome to FG.

Are you talking about encumbrance? I'm not entirely sure what your question actually is. If it is about encumbrance that's calculated according to the characters strength. In the case of the Goliath special code was written to handle it's Powerful Build trait. I don't know what a TRICK descriptor is; can you give us more information on what you mean please.

Is there any way to make use of / trick the special code for Goliaths to work for the Barbarian (Totem Warrior), level 6 feature, Aspect of the Beast (Bear) that does the same thing as the Goliath's Powerful Build?

Zacchaeus
July 18th, 2018, 00:21
I don’t think so, although I haven’t tested it. I suspect the code is built into the race rather than relying on any particular wording.

The High Druid
July 18th, 2018, 00:32
So, after some poking around (apologies, should have done this before asking) dragging the "Powerful Build" trait from Orc or Goliath to whatever character you are playing seems to work, as does adding the text from that trait the Aspect of the beast class feature . . . but if you happen to be playing an orc or goliath *and* have that barbarian ability adding the trait twice, or having the trait and class feature text doesn't seem to do anything more.