PDA

View Full Version : Automating fighter abilities

hobit
April 14th, 2015, 04:29
OK,
I'm fairly new to fantasy grounds and have the class pack. I'm trying to create a 3rd level fighter. While a lot of the abilities get populated, they don't seem to be automated at this point. So for example, as far as I can tell, there is no button to click to do a second wind, nor is there a checkbox saying it has been used.

Same thing applies to all the battlemaster abilities.

Am I missing something obvious? Are we just to do the die rolling by hand? For things that do extra damage, that seems to be extra work for the DM.

Assuming I'm _not_ missing anything, can someone give me a clue how to implement things like second wind myself? Is there a list of abilities I can create? Ways to put checkboxes on the character sheet?

Thanks!

VenomousFiligree
April 14th, 2015, 08:05
Heres a quick run down on creating a Second Wind entry

Go to the Actions tab
Select the brown round button with a forward slash on it
Select the blue button with a star on it - Add Power
In the name box of the new power type Second Wind
In the box to the right type Class Feature (or whatever you want the group to be named)
Select Mode - Preparation
In the box on the far left (should have a zero in it) type 1
In the next box keep selecting until ‘Rest’ shows.
Right click the Second Wind entry and select ‘Add Action’ then select ‘Add Heal’
On the new line that appears, select the magnifying glass on the right
Select targeting to read ‘Self’
Leave type to ‘HP’
Select the brown button with a forward slash to the right of ‘Heal’ then select the green button with a plus on it.
Drag a d10 to the dice box and put your level in the bonus box
Select the brown button with a forward slash next to the green button to finish editing.
Close the window with the red x
On the actions tab select mode to ‘Combat’

When you want to use second wind hit the button with a red cross on it, check the circle to show you've used it and as it’s only one the entry will disappear. It will reappear when a rest (long or short) is taken.

Zacchaeus
April 14th, 2015, 09:46
You should take the time to watch all of the tutorial videos. There's a whole one on effects. https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Videos
Also check out the Wiki - there's a lot of information there also about effects https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/5E_Effects

And welcome to FG :)

hobit
April 14th, 2015, 15:49
Heres a quick run down on creating a Second Wind entry
Useful stuff!

Thanks for the step-by-step help. I'd managed to figure a lot of that out last night after I posted, but I'm still hitting some things I don't get. I'll watch the videos in more detail, but I'd really prefer a written tutorial. The Wiki page is okay, but really needs images. Eh, it's a Wiki, maybe I'll add something.

That said, I've got three questions:

Shouldn't the 5e fighter pack do this for you? I managed to drag the second wind power over, but it had nearly every field wrong. I mean the whole thing cost $50 and I'd have thought that would include having 1st level class powers working. Am I doing something wrong? Are we likely to get updates that will fix these as time goes by?
Second wind now has a big plus next to it. From what I'm seeing and your description I need to click on the plus and check the circle. Is there a way to make it so doing one causes the other to happen? (So the heal and the check happen on a single click)?
Any suggestions at all on how to add a power that does the following: Target must make a str save or fall prone (ideally only if Large or smaller) and takes and extra d8 damage no matter what. I'm also struggling with adding a die to an attack roll _after_ the attack roll has been made.

Thank you again for your help. I read the wiki page on effects, but wasn't sure where to add what. In fact I'm really still not clear on a lot of it. But I'll watch the video to night (without skipping around like I did last time).

Zacchaeus
April 14th, 2015, 16:40
Shouldn't the 5e fighter pack do this for you? I managed to drag the second wind power over, but it had nearly every field wrong. I mean the whole thing cost $50 and I'd have thought that would include having 1st level class powers working. Am I doing something wrong? Are we likely to get updates that will fix these as time goes by?

Dragging the power sets it up in actions correctly except you need to tell the power what the fighter level is. Click on the little magnifying glass beside the heal and in the dialog at the bottom click on the Stat box until it shows 'Lvl'

Second wind now has a big plus next to it. From what I'm seeing and your description I need to click on the plus and check the circle. Is there a way to make it so doing one causes the other to happen? (So the heal and the check happen on a single click)?

No. But it's not too arduous to click the little circle once Seconf Wind has been used. The same kind of functionality is used for all kinds of things like spell casting etc where the player has a finite resource which replenishes either on a long or short rest.

Any suggestions at all on how to add a power that does the following: Target must make a str save or fall prone (ideally only if Large or smaller) and takes and extra d8 damage no matter what. I'm also struggling with adding a die to an attack roll _after_ the attack roll has been made.

Set up a power in the actions tab using the instructions above, right click it and add cast from the menu. Fill in the Save box with whatever saving through and DC you want to use.
Right click on the power again and this time add damage. Fill in the boxes with whatever dice and damage you want to do.
Right click a third time and this time add effect from the menu. In the dialog box type 'prone' without the quotes.
Close it up and you should have your complete power ready to go. First drag the save to the target, then drag the damage and then the effect.

When making an attack roll and you want to add more damage (say you have damage of 2d8 but for some reason you want to do 3d8), click and hold over the damage and before you drop it on the target right click once to add another dice to the roll. You can right click as many times as you want and it will keep adding dice.

Thank you again for your help. I read the wiki page on effects, but wasn't sure where to add what. In fact I'm really still not clear on a lot of it. But I'll watch the video to night (without skipping around like I did last time).

There is a learning curve and we have all gone through it, but a careful study of the Wiki which is excellent, the user guides and watch all the videos will help you without a doubt.

Moon Wizard
April 18th, 2015, 23:22
You can also open the drag the link from the Second Wind details page (opened via Fighter class list or from the PC Features list) or directly from the Fighter class list onto your PC Actions tab.

It will partially set up the action. Just need to adjust healing roll for level bonus and self-targeting.

Regards,
JPG