PDA

View Full Version : New to 5E

Nickademus
April 14th, 2015, 00:55
Hello, I'm considering getting into a 5E game. Looking through the FG store I see a lot of pieces and parts. Am I right to assume the "D&D Complete Core Class Pack" is the only thing I need as a player? It seems all the other parts are included in this or the Monster Pack.

damned
April 14th, 2015, 01:04
That will include all the player options from the PHB. So yes - that will include all currently available players material.

Nickademus
April 14th, 2015, 01:10
Thank you kindly.

Nickademus
April 14th, 2015, 01:48
Okay I got the Core PHB, now where is it? I can access it from inside FG so I know the files are somewhere, but they are not in my FG main directory, appdata directory, or the folder I moved all the appdata stuff to. Where is the actual file that should be in my modules folder?

Larac
April 14th, 2015, 02:07
They are hidden and encrypted as WOTC has a fear of Digital.

To just read the rules open FG and the Lib.
Choose the Reference Manual.

Video should help some as well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nurEMR4JJeU

Hope it helps some.

Nickademus
April 14th, 2015, 02:28
Ah, I see. I hope this doesn't apply to the adventures too.

If they are locked and the GM is unable to modify them, then it's probably better to just buy the adventure and build it manually in FG, tweaking it to better fit the party.

Larac
April 14th, 2015, 02:47
You can mod it my pulling it into your Campaign.

But the Base Data is fixed.

Or at least everything I have tried to change has worked so far, notes, formatting, the spell Attacks being wrong and so on.

Nylanfs
April 14th, 2015, 03:07
Yes, you just copy the data into your current campaign and then modify. Just like normal modules, it's just that you can edit the base data.

Nickademus
April 14th, 2015, 03:15
Okay, well that's understandable.

Is Smite Works allowing player extensions with 5E? The extensions in the Core Pack are locked so it gives the impression that 5E isn't mod-able.

Dracones
April 14th, 2015, 06:26
I don't see any reason why extensions to 5E can't be added in. New libraries for gear, spells, classes, races, and so on should work fine. The GUI should be pretty hackable too since that's in the core 5E ruleset. The WoTC packs are probably mostly just filled in data which is what we can't mess with.

To give an example, for Savage Worlds I created my own mod which altered the arcane backgrounds for it. I didn't have to touch what was there, I just wrote an extension which over wrote that part. I'd be surprised if 5E was any different.

Trenloe
April 14th, 2015, 15:30
Is Smite Works allowing player extensions with 5E? The extensions in the Core Pack are locked so it gives the impression that 5E isn't mod-able.
Extensions and modules work as normal. It is just the WotC IP that is locked into a different format and that base is not modifiable. But extensions can be used as normal to override that code.

Nickademus
April 14th, 2015, 19:54
Cool, thanks.