PDA

View Full Version : Creating Actions for my Character. I dont know how...

YourSwordisMine
April 13th, 2015, 13:34
Hey all, I am new to FG and I am not finding the information so I thought I would ask here.

I am trying to build a Barbarian character for an upcoming game and I am trying to add some actions that cause effects. I think I found the command for Rage, but I need to confirm I am doing it right. I also need to create one for Reckless Attack and I'd also like to do one for taking the Dodge Action

Rage. I opened the Abilities tab and drag/dropped Rage into it. IT gave me an entry for Rage which allows me to create an effect.
Within the Spell/Abilities tab under Description/Conditions/Modifiers line I add the following command:

ADVCHK:strength;ADVSAV:strength;DMG:2,melee;RESIST :bludgeoning,slashing,piercing

I then set it to 1 MIN Duration, Targeting Self.

Expenditure is set to Never by default. What is this? Is there a way to set it so that it shows when I expend one of my 3 uses per rest?

Now, Reckless Attack. I've not been able to find a command line for this. How do I create an effect that gives me Advantage to my Attack Rolls, and Advantage to incoming attacks? I guess I would set an Duration of 1 RND and Target Self? And what to set for Expenditure?

How would I create the Dodge action?

Any help is muchly appreciated. Thanks!

Zacchaeus
April 13th, 2015, 20:39
Ok for rage, you have the syntax spot on so that will work just dandy. If you make the description for Rage (That's the second box you can complete when you add a Power to the action tab) you will see that you have a new Action called 'Rage'. If you now right click on the little magnifying class on the actual bar that says rage you can put a number into the per day box. In your case enter three. Now when you set your mode to combat you will see three little clickable circles to the left of the Rage action. you can use these to click off each use as you use it. You can use this method for any resource that has an finite amount of uses.
As regards the expenditure if you look at the other options there you will see that the effect can be expended in a number of different ways, such as next roll or next action. You don't want that for rage so the correct option is never.
For Reckless attack your syntax is Relentless Attack; ADVATK:melee; GRANTADVATK:all;
Set the duration to 1 round and the expend at never.
You will find more information and lots of examples of effects over on the Wiki https://https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/5E_Effects (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/5E_Effects)
You could automate dodge but since there are conditions which are fluid I just handle this manually using the ADV and DIS buttons at the bottom left of the screen. But [GRANTADVATK:all;ADVSAV:dexterity] without the brackets should work. Again set it for 1 round and NEVER to expire.

Oh, and welcome to Fantasy Grounds.

jshauber
April 13th, 2015, 21:56
For rage you might want to set the duration to 10 rounds so that if combat runs long it will expire after the 10th round (1 minute). Makes tracking it easier if you go with rounds since that is what the combat tracker is using.

Zacchaeus
April 13th, 2015, 21:59
For rage you might want to set the duration to 10 rounds so that if combat runs long it will expire after the 10th round (1 minute). Makes tracking it easier if you go with rounds since that is what the combat tracker is using.

Em, he did set it for 1 minute I think from what he said in his post. :bandit:

Thegroo
April 13th, 2015, 22:02
Em, he did set it for 1 minute I think from what he said in his post. :bandit:

The CT does not know, that 10 rounds are a minute.
But if you set it to 10 rounds, it will expire fine.

Zacchaeus
April 13th, 2015, 22:12
The CT does not know, that 10 rounds are a minute.
But if you set it to 10 rounds, it will expire fine.

Well, I don't really want to argue with you but one of my players has a barbarian and his rage effect is set to one minute and when it is dragged into the CT it shows 10 rounds and counts down just fine. I put it to you therefore that the CT does, in fact, know that 1 minute is 10 rounds. :bandit:

Thegroo
April 13th, 2015, 23:16
Well, I don't really want to argue with you but one of my players has a barbarian and his rage effect is set to one minute and when it is dragged into the CT it shows 10 rounds and counts down just fine. I put it to you therefore that the CT does, in fact, know that 1 minute is 10 rounds. :bandit:

Oops. I'm sorry. Didn't work when i last tried it, but that was some time ago.
Glad to know that it now works.:o

YourSwordisMine
April 14th, 2015, 01:21
Thanks everyone!

I'd found the Rage on another website but not on the Wiki, which gives more info. Thanks.

I get how to do the others now, so that will help.

I was wanting to automate the most on my sheet to alleviate some of the work off the DM. This should help a lot.

Zacchaeus
April 14th, 2015, 09:56
Thanks everyone!

I'd found the Rage on another website but not on the Wiki, which gives more info. Thanks.

Here's the link to the Wiki page https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/5E_Effects

I was wanting to automate the most on my sheet to alleviate some of the work off the DM. This should help a lot.

Whoa, wish my players would do this :)

JohnD
April 14th, 2015, 18:30
No kidding. Good approach coming in as a player.

YourSwordisMine
April 14th, 2015, 22:26
Its for one of my FG-Con games this weekend. I thought it would be nice to speed things along as much as I could to help make the game go smoother. I'll also be doing as much as I can for any other game I play in as well. The less work anyone else has to do for me, is more time they can spend playing/running their own stuff. No point in being a burden on others. Its only common courtesy.

Plus, it is a way for me to learn the system and how FG works.

H3dgam3r
April 16th, 2015, 00:58
Ok for rage, you have the syntax spot on so that will work just dandy. If you make the description for Rage (That's the second box you can complete when you add a Power to the action tab) you will see that you have a new Action called 'Rage'. If you now right click on the little magnifying class on the actual bar that says rage you can put a number into the per day box. In your case enter three. Now when you set your mode to combat you will see three little clickable circles to the left of the Rage action. you can use these to click off each use as you use it. You can use this method for any resource that has an finite amount of uses.
As regards the expenditure if you look at the other options there you will see that the effect can be expended in a number of different ways, such as next roll or next action. You don't want that for rage so the correct option is never.
For Reckless attack your syntax is Relentless Attack; ADVATK:melee; GRANTADVATK:all;
Set the duration to 1 round and the expend at never.
You will find more information and lots of examples of effects over on the Wiki https://https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/5E_Effects (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/5E_Effects)
You could automate dodge but since there are conditions which are fluid I just handle this manually using the ADV and DIS buttons at the bottom left of the screen. But [GRANTADVATK:all;ADVSAV:dexterity] without the brackets should work. Again set it for 1 round and NEVER to expire.

Oh, and welcome to Fantasy Grounds.

I'm a player and trying to build out about the same thing right now for my lvl4 barb. The right click thing didn't work for me.. however changing the mode to prep and then assigning a number to the use/day box did.

I've tried to cook up something for the rest of the barb abilities but could use some advice. I understand that the effects box isn't the best place for lots of text. Ultimately if there is a master list of valid keywords/syntax that would be great to have. wondering if things like "half speed" exist

image of powers/effects build out:
https://imgur.com/Es0j3e9