PDA

View Full Version : Armor on 5e character sheet and target selection for combat tracker

WansumBeats
April 13th, 2015, 04:42
Couple of things i cant seem to find information on...

1) When i drop armor from the equipment list onto my character sheet, my AC value doesnt change. it stays at 10 base +dex. i cant figure out how to change it other than manually changing the numbers with the magnifying glass. anyone able to tell me how armor works in the 5E rules?

2) I cannot for the life of me figure out targetting... its easy as a DM with the combat tracker i just drag the target onto the player and away we go.... but if your a PLAYER ive watched videos where the guy just holds SHIFT and CLICKS for MULTIPLE TARGETS... i dont see the colored circle for the player targeting appear... and i got it to work with CTRL and clicking... but still dont see the color ring... appreciate being filled in on how this works as well.

Thanks.

Zacchaeus
April 13th, 2015, 11:33
Armour Class is one of those things in the character sheet which does not automate, so you are correctly updating it manually.

To select a target the player needs to hold down CTRL and then click on the NPC either on the map or on the combat tracker. Keep holding down CTRL and click multiple targets to target them all. Players can also target NPCs by dragging their 'to hit' dice from their character sheets directly onto the NPC either on the map or on the combat tracker. Damage rolls and forced saving throws all work the same way.

The DM attacks in exactly the same way as the PCs do; so whatever works for the DM will also work for the players.

Not sure what coloured ring you are looking for, there isn't one as far as I know. But I have been shown to be wrong before :)

damned
April 13th, 2015, 12:06
AC doesnt adjust automatically. You must do the sums yourself.
As a player - click on your token once and then hold down Ctrl key and click as many targets as required.

https://www.fg-con.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/fg-con-6-150-1.jpg (https://www.fg-con.com/events/)
FG Con 6 – April 17-19th 2015 - register at www.fg-con.com (https://www.fg-con.com/) for all the latest info.

damned
April 13th, 2015, 12:07
Doh! Opened this an hour ago before replying...
Ninja'd by a lazy 30mins...

Trenloe
April 13th, 2015, 13:35
Not sure what coloured ring you are looking for, there isn't one as far as I know. But I have been shown to be wrong before :)
The coloured rings are how targeti appeared prior to version 3.0.

More info on how targeting works now here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Tokens#Targeting

Zacchaeus
April 13th, 2015, 15:55
The coloured rings are how targeti appeared prior to version 3.0.

Aha! well before my time then :)

WansumBeats
April 13th, 2015, 16:22
Ok there has to be more of a trick to this.. or its just not working for me.

So i have two copies of FG running, ones running the campaign and the other is joined by localhost as player.

I have created an encounter, have a map and two goblins and a rogue with a bow all filled out. i shared the map with the copy of FG, can move characters around ect.. everything shows up on both screens. Chat, damage, rolls ect all working.

From the encounter i drop the two goblins into the combat tracker and then drop in the PC. In the tracker i can CTRL click and add targets OR i can drag the targeting icon and drop it on a PC or NPC and it shows me targeting.

Works on both copies, however when i select the goblin on the map and then hold down CTRL and select the PC i just get an arrow with a measurement pointing at the PC and nothing happens in the combat tracker where i would normally see target added. and when i roll the dice its not targeting the PC or taking damage or showing hit or miss.

This sounds really easy to do... i select the token i want to attack WITH, and then hold CTRL and CLICK on the tokens i want to target.

sounds simple... doesnt work. also i followed the link to the tokens and read up on that. and it mentions FACTIONS? Im assuming this is the skull icon for friendly, hostile ect... the goblins are HOSTILE and the NP is FRIENDLY.

Everything is updated on both versions.. ill try starting a new campaign and checking it out there...

appreciate any help :}

Trenloe
April 13th, 2015, 16:29
Make sure you add the tokens to the map from the combat tracker, or use the encounter token pre-placement functionality. Don't add them directly from the NPC record or from the encounter after deploying to the combat tracker.

For targeting to work the token has to be linked to a specific entry on the combat tracker. This is only done by using encounter token pre-placement (and then adding the encounter to the CT with the down arrow) or by dragging the token from the CT to the map.

WansumBeats
April 13th, 2015, 16:43
From my story, i go to 2. Goblin Blind.

i click it and it opens a window with background text for dm, and text box info for the characters

at the top i have 2 links created.

One is Goblin Encounter and the other is MAP.

I click on MAP and my map pops up and then i share map and it comes up on other screen(localhost player)

then i open the combat tracker and clear everything out and reset initiative.

Then i grab the goblin encounter link and drag it into the combat tracker and the two goblins appear and then i drag my player into the combat tracker and he appears.

then i drag them from the combat tracker onto the map and place them

then i roll initiative and then i click next actor to start combat

then i try and use ONLY the MAP icons to target and i get nothing but a distance arrow.

this is my step by step so im assuming i have done something wrong in creating the encounter. in the combat tracker window i can crtl click and target np, just cant do it on the map.. and on the map is a selling feature for me.

i appreciate your help :)

can you point me to info on pre placement tokens? that sounds great! :)

Trenloe
April 13th, 2015, 16:53
OK, one thing to check - make sure you have the targeting icon (on the top left of the modifier window) set to "Use current targets for rolls".

Also, are you running any extensions?

can you point me to info on pre placement tokens? that sounds great! :)

Some info here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Encounters

A video to watch (it's for C&C but it works the same with D&D): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tx7CtPsdNbA

And some steps here:

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/images/3/33/CnC_encounter_prep.jpg

WansumBeats
April 13th, 2015, 16:59
running DD Basic Rules - Player, DD Basic Rules - DM and default fumble and critical hit modules by smite works

thanks for the info.. ill look into it

WansumBeats
April 13th, 2015, 19:40
Thanks so much for your patience. Figured it out. So the problem was that i added the token to the map and then to the combat tracker...doesnt work.

Adding the PC to the COMBAT TRACKER and then from the COMBAT TRACKER to the MAP... WORKS.

Onto the next problems :) SWEET :)

WansumBeats
April 13th, 2015, 19:41
Trenloe... the video setup for PINS totally solved the problem... made me add my PCs to the map differently... ALSO such a better way to set everything up!! WOW TY

Zacchaeus
April 13th, 2015, 21:43
Whoa, Trenloe you have another fan :)

Jiminimonka
February 21st, 2016, 22:34
2) I cannot for the life of me figure out targetting... its easy as a DM with the combat tracker i just drag the target onto the player and away we go.... but if your a PLAYER ive watched videos where the guy just holds SHIFT and CLICKS for MULTIPLE TARGETS... i dont see the colored circle for the player targeting appear... and i got it to work with CTRL and clicking... but still dont see the color ring... appreciate being filled in on how this works as well.

Thanks.

This colour circle is shown in Matthew Colville's video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QAJzGKMEZA - at around 21:55. This is 4th Edition don't know if things changed for 5e version. I would like to see this return again in 5e as its quite a nice feature.

Moon Wizard
February 22nd, 2016, 08:46
The problem with the color circles is that they did not have any linkage to the actual PCs/NPCs in the campaign. They were actually tied to the player themselves, so it created a bit of a challenge. (i.e. only one color per player (not great for playing multiple PCs) and the GM couldn't target at all) The arrows provide a lot more information quickly, though I agree that the circles were nice. It might make a comeback in the future, but we'll see where it ends up priority-wise as we rebuild the map controls.

Regards,
JPG