PDA

View Full Version : Some Help With the Dresden Files RPG Ruleset

Siggy442
April 13th, 2015, 03:13
Howdy y'all. I'm a new user - I'm testing out FG in the hopes of buying it for my gaming hobbies. I usually like to run games, be it DnD or the Dresden Files RPG. The second has become something of a personal favorite of mine, and I jumped when I realized that there was a community supported ruleset for it. I was hoping someone out there might be able to help me with a few questions about it, though? Just a few tidbits I noticed when I was playing around with it. Since I'm new, I didn't know if it was me being silly or just something with the ruleset.

When making an NPC under personalities, there's no option to actually type in the Other Aspects. Am I missing something, or is that actually impossible to access?
Likewise,I realize there's actually nothing for me to put in anything for skills or abilities.
Finally, there's only one consequence slot. Is there any way for me to add more?

I also realized that part of the reason it might not be working right is because of the ruleset having been built for FGII, when I think we're on version 3.0? Either way, if anyone can help me, I'd be more than appreciative. Thanks!

Trenloe
April 13th, 2015, 03:19
Rule #1 of Fantasy Grounds - right-click everywhere to see what you can do! Traditionally, to save desktop real-estate, Fantasy Grounds does most of it's user interface interaction via context based radial menus accessible by right-clicking. For all of the areas you list above, right-click on the area and select "Create Item" (At 6 o'clock on the radial menu).

Siggy442
April 13th, 2015, 03:25
Huh. Well, sir, you just made do an epic facepalm. I didn't realize - I'm still getting used to the system. That fixed just about everything! I'm still having one issue, though. When I click under other aspects, and try to create a new item, it doesn't create anything. Is that on my end, too? I hate to ask, and thanks for the patience. New user problems!

Trenloe
April 13th, 2015, 03:48
I'm still having one issue, though. When I click under other aspects, and try to create a new item, it doesn't create anything. Is that on my end, too? I hate to ask, and thanks for the patience. New user problems!
Hey. we've all been new users once - so don't worry about asking questions. Most of us here don't bite (much).

Here's a quick fix to the issue you're seeing: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/39085830/Fantasy%20Grounds/Rulesets/DresdenFiles.pak

Siggy442
April 13th, 2015, 03:52
That did it! Thank you, good sir!

Valarian
April 13th, 2015, 07:59
Which version are you using? The latest version isn't actually the one on the Wiki, but in my Google Drive folder. I've got to update the wiki links.

Siggy442
April 13th, 2015, 15:03
Yeah, whatever link Trenloe just gave me is what I'm using now. It seemed to solve the problem I was having.

Trenloe
April 13th, 2015, 15:38
Yeah, whatever link Trenloe just gave me is what I'm using now.
That was based on what's in the Wiki. So an update to the link there would be cool...

Nylanfs
April 13th, 2015, 17:12
Is the ruleset a fork of the official FATE set?

Mask_of_winter
April 13th, 2015, 17:15
Nope. It's based off of Foundations. It does the job.

Nylanfs
April 13th, 2015, 22:28
K I was just curious. :-)

Moon Wizard
April 13th, 2015, 23:43
I've tried to keep most of the links to community rulesets pointing to the appropriate forum links to allow the authors to update the ruleset and documentation without having to update the wiki.

Valarian,
If you want to spawn a new forum thread, post all the information to the latest and greatest for the Dresden Files, and send me a quick note (PM or e-mail), I will update the link in the Wiki.

Cheers,
JPG

Siggy442
April 14th, 2015, 00:32
I suppose this is sort of an aside, but it's still related to the original topic of the DFRPG ruleset.

I imagine it might be really hard to parse for this game because the NPCs are structured so differently than D20 RPGs and the like. Does anyone have any suggestion of where I would start to get progress on making a module for my own personal library? I own all the DFRPG books and pdfs, so I'd really like to set about making entries for my own personal use.

damned
April 14th, 2015, 01:08

Valarian did the FATE ruleset too.

https://www.fg-con.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/fg-con-6-150-5.jpg (https://www.fg-con.com/events/)
FG Con 6 – April 17-19th 2015 - register at www.fg-con.com (https://www.fg-con.com/) for all the latest info.

damned
April 14th, 2015, 01:10
I suppose this is sort of an aside, but it's still related to the original topic of the DFRPG ruleset.

I imagine it might be really hard to parse for this game because the NPCs are structured so differently than D20 RPGs and the like. Does anyone have any suggestion of where I would start to get progress on making a module for my own personal library? I own all the DFRPG books and pdfs, so I'd really like to set about making entries for my own personal use.

Build your most standard, vanilla character. Then you can drag that to an empty spot on your NPCs list and a dupe will appear. Save you doing some of the typing. You can also export all your NPCs and upload them here to share with others - and hopefully entice others to do the same.

https://www.fg-con.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/fg-con-6-150-5.jpg (https://www.fg-con.com/events/)
FG Con 6 – April 17-19th 2015 - register at www.fg-con.com (https://www.fg-con.com/) for all the latest info.

Siggy442
April 14th, 2015, 01:18
Hm. That would work for most of the different rule sets. Though it seems there's a small problem with the one I'm working with - there's no export function where there typically is. Otherwise it'd be a rather simple (if somewhat long) process of going through and typing up a bunch of NPC's and then exporting them as a module.

Dakadin
April 14th, 2015, 01:52
Try typing in /export in the chat to see if that brings up the Export dialog. I am not sure if it will in this ruleset but it used to be the way to get to export in the past.

Siggy442
April 14th, 2015, 02:00
That did it, Dakadin! Good to know the long and hard way is still an option xp

Siggy442
April 14th, 2015, 03:38
Problem Solved. Sorry for the double post.

Dakadin
April 14th, 2015, 05:12
Glad to hear it is working. Little things like this are why the community encourages questions. :)

Valarian
April 14th, 2015, 08:25
I'm not sure the NPC export will work as expected. I can't recall whether I set the export mapping up. It may just export common fields.
The Dresden Files ruleset is based of Zeus' base ruleset, IIRC. It's an earlier iteration of the Fate rulesets I've done (SotC, Dresden Files, Fate Core).
I could do with adding extensions to the Fate Core ruleset that would cater for these.

Siggy442
April 14th, 2015, 15:49
Would you like some help? I was going to tinker with it more when I have time (I'm currently a law student, so time isn't something I have much of during the semester). I'm not an expert by any means, but I'm tenacious and determined to figure things out. One of the first things I had planned on doing once I decided that I was going to start using FG was to tinker with the rulesets. I like to know what's under the hood of what I use so I can better cater things for my players. I'll let you know if I make any progress once I get started messing around with things.

Valarian
April 14th, 2015, 21:32
I think my priorities would be for Dresden Files and Fate Accelerated. You could certainly help by doing extensions for other Fate settings and games. The Age of Arthur extension in my Drive folder (linked below), or the no skills extension, give examples of an extension for Fate Core. The Age of Arthur one could be converted fairly easily for Starblazer or Legends of Anglerre. It has the counter type stress track instead of the standard one. Spirit of the Century would be a good one to do as well, as would Bulldogs!

Siggy442
April 14th, 2015, 22:06
I'll keep you posted as I begin to learn. By the way, I started testing the export on the DFRPG rule set - it seems to be working so far, but I haven't tested it extensively to see if everything is populating correctly. I'll keep you posted.

damned
April 14th, 2015, 23:27
Siggy422 add lots, and lots of comments to any extensions you write - makes it much easier for them to be incorporated back into the base ruleset.

Siggy442
April 15th, 2015, 00:36
(nods) Will do. I think I'll go to the Workshop section and start a thread to keep track of things I think I'd need to add to make a proper extension. I've noticed a couple things that could be cool to change/add, including the NPC section. I'll have to start relearning my coding again. Seems like I have to refresh myself once a year when I get the time.

Hector Trelane
April 15th, 2015, 03:34
Glad to see the work and attention here. I have been catching up on Dresden novels as a preparatory step to running a game... Just got through Small Favor. Good stuff!

Siggy442
April 15th, 2015, 04:16
I've gone ahead and posted a WIP for the Extension here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?23817-New-DFRPG-Ruleset-Extension-WIP&p=207012#post207012). If anyone has any suggestions or comments, by all means, please let me know.