PDA

View Full Version : Converting PF / 3.5e FG modules to 5e

acseric
April 12th, 2015, 18:09
I have The Reaping Stone adventure (3.5/pf OGL) for Fantasy Grounds. I want to modify it so I can run it in 5e.

Suggested steps would be great!

Eric

Zacchaeus
April 12th, 2015, 18:31
I don't know that adventure particularly but I'm currently running the first three 4e modules "Keep on the Shadowfell" et al so I have done some converting :)

I suppose it sort of depends on how much you do as a DM. I'm pretty verbose and write a great deal of descriptive text boxes to drag into chat for my players to read. So I always start with the story. This gives me a basis for everything else. I'm also working from a PDF which helps a lot for this kind of thing.

I suppose the biggest headache when converting are the monsters. Many of the 4e ones were unlike their 3.5 and 5e counterparts and it is this I struggled with most. Well not struggled so much as spent the most time on. And of course sourcing the maps :)

Anyway, I would suggest that you have a look at the tutorial videos on how to build a module and that will probably give you the best idea of where to start. Really there's no right answer because everyone does things in a different way, and what works for me might not work for you.

acseric
April 12th, 2015, 18:36
The module is already created (I got it from the Fantasy Grounds store) So, all the maps, and text, etc is already there.

I probably just need to convert the monsters / NPCs over, but I am not sure how to get the 5e to even recognize the module as not 3.5/pf.

Trenloe
April 12th, 2015, 18:43
First steps, change the module so that you can load it up in a 5E campaign. Now that modules support folders in the <FG App Data>\modules directory this is made a little easier.

Follow these steps:

Go to the <FG App Data>\modules folder. Get to <FG App Data> by pressing the folder icon in the top right of the main FG launch screen (before loading a campaign).
Find the PFRPGTheReapingStone.mod file. Copy/paste this and rename to 5ETheReapingStone.mod and change the .mod extension to .zip. You may need to disable "hide extensions for known files types (https://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/software/3341794/how-show-or-hide-file-extensions/)" in your windows explorer to see the .mod extension.
Extract the ZIP file you've just created to the same folder - this will give you a directory in <FG Add Data>\modules called 5ETheReapingStone
Go into this directory and edit the definition.xml file so that the <ruleset> tag changes to: <ruleset>5E</ruleset> (this is case sensitive). Save this file.
Load up a 5E campaign and activate "The Reaping Stone" module.

The above will give you access to the module within a 5E campaign - all of the story and map/image entries will be able to be used as normal. Some items and treasure parcels will be able to be used, but you'll have to either work the NPCs from scratch or edit the ones in the campaign. You'll get a few errors opening them, but it is probably worth you editing the existing NPCs/Monsters so that links to the "Encounters" entries remain intact.

acseric
April 12th, 2015, 18:45
Awesome!.. Thanks Tranloe!!!

Zacchaeus
April 12th, 2015, 23:09
Right, I completely misunderstood your question. :)

And interesting stuff, I wasn't aware that modules for other iterations of D&D could be converted to 5e.

Skellan
April 13th, 2015, 11:09
That's ever so useful Trenloe. I have a ton of PF scenarios I could run 5E. Thank you

damned
April 13th, 2015, 12:17
Right, I completely misunderstood your question. :)

And interesting stuff, I wasn't aware that modules for other iterations of D&D could be converted to 5e.

Things like NPCs will be broken but the Story and Maps etc, and even the Encounter objects will all be present. You will need to add new 5e NPCs and then add them to encounters. Most other things... should just work.

https://www.fg-con.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/fg-con-6-150-1.jpg (https://www.fg-con.com/events/)
FG Con 6 – April 17-19th 2015 - register at www.fg-con.com (https://www.fg-con.com/) for all the latest info.

rabbedrabit
August 10th, 2015, 17:42
i tried this and all my files in the module folder are mpeg is this correct?

Trenloe
August 10th, 2015, 17:48
i tried this and all my files in the module folder are mpeg is this correct?
They are .mod files that Windows recognizes as audio/video files by default, but these are Fantasy Grounds module files. Follow the instructions in post #4 above and you'll be fine.

rabbedrabit
August 10th, 2015, 17:51
ok thanks

Murno
December 12th, 2021, 13:57
Does this process still work as of Dec 2021?

damned
December 12th, 2021, 14:06
In the Forge is an extension called Universal Modules
Load that and you will be able to see your PF adventures in 5e.
Ofc the monsters wont work and a few other things but story will and you will see what the encounters were supposed to contain.

spoonhead
December 12th, 2021, 14:18
The module still works, but every time you click on an NPC, FGU throws up an error log. More annoying than anything.

I'm currently converting a PF1 AP to 5e. Maps and story all there, but you need to be able to convert a fair bit. DC rolls for instance. But can be done if patient

LordEntrails
December 12th, 2021, 20:04
The module still works, but every time you click on an NPC, FGU throws up an error log. More annoying than anything.

I'm currently converting a PF1 AP to 5e. Maps and story all there, but you need to be able to convert a fair bit. DC rolls for instance. But can be done if patient
This is expected. Please read the caveats on the extension.

PF and 5E have different object models for NPCs. i.e. they have different data base fields or attributes, and even though they might both have a field called "HP", they database may treat them differently. Therefore NPCs will throw errors. Besides, a 5E "Orc" or "Dragon" etc is not equivalent in challenge to the same named NPC in PF so you may want to adjust them anyway.

In short, Stories and Images are the only things you should expect to come across.