PDA

View Full Version : Spells with higher level slots?

nytemare3701
April 12th, 2015, 05:52
How do I cast a spell with the scaling from higher slots? Do I just make a bunch of effects on each spell and choose each time, or is there an easier way?

Zacchaeus
April 12th, 2015, 11:00
Click on the damage and hold, then right click the mouse to add however many dice you need to bring it up to the level of the cast.

nytemare3701
April 12th, 2015, 21:21
Thanks!

ted.wallerstedt
May 9th, 2017, 01:13
This works great. Thank you so much. (Much better than my idea of building one at every level).

kavaliro
May 9th, 2017, 03:12
Ignoring that it's a messed up character build, this is what I do:

https://i.imgur.com/LeKpDXT.gif

(right click to pull up the radial menu.)

Art Wendorf
July 31st, 2017, 01:45
Ignoring that it's a messed up character build, this is what I do:

https://i.imgur.com/LeKpDXT.gif

(right click to pull up the radial menu.)OH, I like that!

midas
June 11th, 2020, 17:24
So I've been doing it the "make a bunch of actions for different spell levels" for ages now and was glad to finally find this post. ><

It doesn't look like this would work for actions that are Effects, though, correct? For example Absorb Elements is an effect that does xd6 damage depending on the level you cast it. In situations like that I'll still need to have additional effects for the player (rather than them having to change it every time they cast it)?

Zacchaeus
June 11th, 2020, 19:47
So I've been doing it the "make a bunch of actions for different spell levels" for ages now and was glad to finally find this post. ><

It doesn't look like this would work for actions that are Effects, though, correct? For example Absorb Elements is an effect that does xd6 damage depending on the level you cast it. In situations like that I'll still need to have additional effects for the player (rather than them having to change it every time they cast it)?

For that spell you would need a bunch of actions for each damage type. But you can still use the drag and add method to cast any of them at higher levels. In fact for this spell this is the only reasonably way to do it since you are going to need at 5 actions; one for each possible damage type. If you then want to add actions for levels 2 to 9 then you are going to need an additional 40 actions - which is just silly. Drag and add is by far the cleanest method to handle any spell which damages or heals additional amounts at higher levels.

midas
June 11th, 2020, 20:07
I guess I'm not sure how to drag and add when it's an effect, though. Left-clicking and dragging, then right-clicking just makes the effect disappear from my cursor; there aren't any dice being dragged when it's an effect, only when it's damage/heal/etc. At least that's what it's doing for me in FGC.

Zacchaeus
June 11th, 2020, 20:19
Yes, sorry. I was talking about the damage bit (which I thought you were to). But no you can't add anything to an effect.

NCCraftBeer
July 24th, 2020, 00:58
Thanks, this worked great!