PDA

View Full Version : Clarification on books being included with purchase?

kovibear
April 11th, 2015, 21:51
If I purchase an Ultimate license, would I have access to all of the new 5E in-game content and books, or must those be purchased separately? I ask because spending $149 on the Ultimate license and then ALSO having to spend $100 on books seems pretty excessive.

Larac
April 11th, 2015, 22:55
Please correct me if I am wrong here,

As I understand it:

The books are priced from Wizards so yes it is 100 for them.
Wizards wants that 50 a book price point.

The Software is FG, 149 allows players to connect to you without buying the software, use everything you have, without buying.

For 10 you can try it for a month, the Software that is and your players can connect to you.

You can play without the Store Bought LIBs, it just means you will need to add stuff as needed and build your own data, also see the Parse Tools for pulling data from things you own.

I would suggest play around with the demo.
Watch a few videos, if you like it, then buy a month of time, and make an adventure.
Run your players through it.
If you still like it buy the 2.99 Basic Rule pack and see how that allows things to work.
If that really looks like what you want, then divide the 250 one time cost between GM and players.

I too wish that the LIB for D&D were not quite so steep, but Wizards is so afraid of the Digital World, that they can not see straight.

Nylanfs
April 12th, 2015, 00:57
You are also paying for up keep and expansion when the program gains new functionality.

Trenloe
April 12th, 2015, 01:07
To clarify - the Ultimate licence doesn't give you any more products than the full/GM licence does. That is, you have to buy the additional 5E (or other RPG system) material you want to use. It is "ultimate" because it allows the players to all join without having to purchase a licence. If you will be the only GM in your group and there are quite few players then it might be a good purchase (especially if you can get the players to contribute to the cost), but if the role of GM is shared/rotated then you might either want to look into using the $10/month ultimate subscription with the active GM subscribing, or everyone gets full licenses - there is a 4 for 3 special on Steam. However, each GM will have to purchase the content they want to use when they are GMing - or enter it manually themselves.

Griogre
April 12th, 2015, 18:00
It should also be mention that if you just want to try 5E out then you can get the Basic Rules Pack for $3. So to try out FG with a group and 5E would just cost you $13 for a month.

Ferrin
April 13th, 2015, 00:54
So if I want to just play 5e and not run a game I still need to buy the Rules pack for 3 bucks? The GM will not be able to autoload it into my library? Just asing because I would like to start 5e.

Trenloe
April 13th, 2015, 00:56
If you'll be doing your character creation and future maintenance when connected to a GM then you'll be using whatever the GM has purchased and chooses to share with you. As a player you'll only need to purchase 5E content if you want to do offline character generation/maintenance.