PDA

View Full Version : Need an actual RuneQuest 6 ruleset

Archlyte
April 11th, 2015, 03:08
I recently discovered RuneQuest because Heavy3p0 forced me. I now regret decades of time playing D&D. The original setting that was associated with the game is garbage but the rules themselves are mana from heaven. Anyone else wish there was a runequest ruleset? I would pay 50 bucks easy for an official ruleset

Mask_of_winter
April 11th, 2015, 03:11
Could you do with just a character sheet? Any mechanics beyond dice rolling involved?

Archlyte
April 11th, 2015, 05:33
One of the main things would be the combat tracker. The game uses a system whereby you expend action points on your turn to proactively act, or on your opponent's turn to react. Each Round in the game has a number of cycles that continue to happen as long as someone has Action Points left to spend (Most characters have 2 or 3). The combat tracker would need to be able to have cycles, and rounds.

In addition, when you roll an opposed roll in combat, you get Special Effects based on how much better you do than your opponent. For instance If you get a critical Success and I fail my roll opposing you, you get two degrees of success and thus two effects. Effects can be things like Bleed, Press Advantage, Close Range.

It is a great system that has an amazing magic system as well. I would love to see an official ruleset that has a functional tracker. I am using a converted ruleset at the moment but the tracker is non-functional so I pen and paper my fights with players rolling on screen dice. Even with that low level of functionality I prefer FG over roll20 for instance.

P.S. I hope this didn't offend any D&D fans, I am just excited about RuneQuest because it fits my tastes nearly exactly, not hating on D&D

Trenloe
April 11th, 2015, 06:13
Flicking through my copy of Runequest 6, it appears to have a basis on the older Runequest versions. Therefore, the Basic Role Playing (BRP) ruleset might be a good ruleset to start with: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store/product.xcp?id=CHA2020aFG2 BRP grew from Chaosium's versions of RQ1 and RQ2.

The BRP ruleset isn't based on the recent CoreRPG ruleset so it doesn't have all of the bells-and-whistles you might be used to, but it is still very functional. You can download the BRP userguide from the link above (free download) to give you an idea of what it contains. There's even a section showing how to adapt the ruleset (page 25 onwards).

Trenloe
April 11th, 2015, 06:17
P.S. I hope this didn't offend any D&D fans, I am just excited about RuneQuest because it fits my tastes nearly exactly, not hating on D&D
Don't worry about that. Fantasy Grounds is much more than just D&D, and everyone who visits these forums should understand that. We're all gamers here...

Runequest 2 (and then RQ3) was my main Fantasy RPG system for many years. Dragonquest (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DragonQuest) prompted my first moves away from D&D, but TSR hardly did anything with it when they bought it, so I moved on to Runequest from there.

Mask_of_winter
April 11th, 2015, 06:26
Legend, technically Runequest 7 from what I understand (unless I'm mistaken) is available for $1 on rpgnow in case anybody is interested. I plan on picking it up soon.

Archlyte
April 12th, 2015, 01:19
Heavy3P0 has the (BRP) ruleset, when we put a character on the combat tracker it returned an error in one of the LUA scripts. That was discouraging to have the ruleset do that right after he purchased it but before we modified anything lol

Trenloe
April 12th, 2015, 01:37
If you have issues with a ruleset (without any extensions loaded) then raise them in the house of healing.

Archlyte
April 12th, 2015, 05:53
If you have issues with a ruleset (without any extensions loaded) then raise them in the house of healing.

I don't have an issue with it. It's his ruleset and he just doesn't use it. I'm sure it's something to the tune of what you said: extension messing up, etc.

damned
April 12th, 2015, 06:17
There are some bugs in the BRP ruleset....
I dont use it but several bugs have been reported in the past and are still outstanding.

https://www.fg-con.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/fg-con-6-150-1.jpg (https://www.fg-con.com/events/)
FG Con 6 – April 17-19th 2015 - register at www.fg-con.com (https://www.fg-con.com/) for all the latest info.

CryAxe
September 11th, 2015, 22:51
For those that are interested. This is getting updated next year with a new edition as Moon Design takes back control next summer and it is published under Chaosium. Supposedly the rules will essentially be the same, but will use Glorantha as a default setting (next year is the 50th anniversary of Glorantha). The current publisher, The Design Mechanism, will be working on the new edition and will also be allowed to produce their own source books independently of Moon Design/Chaosium. Since Smiteworks has an agreement with Chaosium for CoC and BRP, perhaps it will extend or could be extended to include the new RuneQuest and related source materials.

https://designmechanism.freeforums.org/chaosium-design-mechanism-and-runequest-statement-t1220.html

Trenloe
September 11th, 2015, 23:11
This is all good news, especially in terms of the possibility of an agreement for an official ruleset.

However, this is just the first step. To make anything like this happen requires a dedicated developer to take on the task of creating the ruleset - and sticking with it to the end. Developing a ruleset is many, many, many hours of work - and you'll never make much money from it. So it's definitely a labour of love and will require updates over time to keep it in line with new FG developments. Smiteworks rely on developers from the Community to volunteer to do this type of work. It's only with strategic products that they'll take on the work themselves (as they are limited in their development resources).

There are multiple products that SmiteWorks have waiting to be developed: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?11156-Want-to-produce-official-FG-products-adventures-rulesets&p=80392&viewfull=1#post80392 But few developers that step up... :(

Calling all potential FG developers out there! :D

Chorpa
May 3rd, 2016, 08:44
Legend, technically Runequest 7 from what I understand (unless I'm mistaken) is available for $1 on rpgnow in case anybody is interested. I plan on picking it up soon.

Actually Legend is just a renaming of the previous Mongoose RuneQuest II (RQ5) since they lost the RuneQuest license to Pete and Loz who started The Design Mechanism and went on to further develop the rules into RQ6. There are a lot of similarities in the rules and you often can use stuff between the games with very little or no conversion needed. So in reality Legend is more like RuneQuest v5.1

Interesting enough Chaosium recently took back the RuneQuest license to produce their own version of RuneQuest based on the old 2nd Edition rules. RQ6 still exists but has been renamed to Mythras and anything Glorantha/RuneQuest related has been stripped from the rules. But since the core book didn't have much with Glorantha to do anyway (except the runes used in the book) it is not a big change except a new layout.

Archlyte
July 9th, 2016, 03:33
So is there still no RQ6 ruleset?

Blackfoot
July 9th, 2016, 04:04
There is no RQ6 ruleset, and I pretty much doubt there will be one... especially with the changes going on at Chaosium. Investing the time in building one at this point doesn't make a lot of sense... unless someone was a really big fan of that particular version and had a lot of time on their hands. You can probably emulate many of the basic functions using CoreRPG... although I'm not familiar enough with the version to tell you for sure how well it would work for you.

Archlyte
July 10th, 2016, 00:31
Ah well thought I would ask nonetheless. Can't play D&D anymore since I found RuneQuest 6 and FATE so all the heavy investment into D&D5e for FG isn't something that I am interested in even though I love FG. 5th edition is really great but it has too many problems that will never be sorted out of D&D because they are canon, and people love familiarity.

Archlyte
August 7th, 2016, 00:32
RuneQuest 6 is now called Mythras because of the licensing stuff. I love this system and now use it for every genre. I guess someday I will have to try and make an FG extension for it, but for now I just use my buggy ruleset that I cobbled together from the old classic Traveller ruleset. It only has character sheet functionality but that's enough to use in play. If it had a functional combat tracker then it would be great, but I can't get much to work right as I am not a programmer and I just learned enough from these forums to be dangerous :)

Anyway cheers to Design Mechanism and Mythras!

https://thedesignmechanism.com/

Michael Hopcroft
August 23rd, 2016, 00:35
I was about to mention the change, as I just got a note from DM offering me a special upgrade price since I bought RQ6 from Drive-Thru. It looks like Mythras is very doable if you have the skill to manage the design.

The most notable change seems to be an increase in the number of Combat Special Effects, a concept rarely seen in BGB BRP. And adaptation to other systems also looks interesting.

Archlyte
August 25th, 2016, 15:29
It's a shame too. I don't use any other ruleset now that there are firearm rules for Mythras. The roll20 program that most people use is terrible. Fantasy Grounds would make this game so much easier to play but both sides of the equation are of no help. Supposedly FG ruleset creation is easy. I guess the guy who said that has a degree from MIT and a lot of spare time.

Andraax
August 25th, 2016, 20:17
Have you tried using CoreRPG for it? At least it has the player sheet, combat tracker, etc...

Archlyte
September 10th, 2016, 18:11
That is a good piece of advice Andraax, I will use that if I attempt this again.

Chorpa
September 19th, 2016, 22:11
I haven't tried to run a game yet with Core RPG but have created a couple of Characters. Except for some minor things it turned out quite nice and it do seem very doable to run in Core RPG. But have recently taken a break from our RQ6/Mythras campaign since half of the group have so much on the plate right now to fit in any RPG so we decided to take a break from it until life releases the grip of the group and we can set aside time for gaming again.

Archlyte
September 20th, 2016, 00:43
I haven't tried to run a game yet with Core RPG but have created a couple of Characters. Except for some minor things it turned out quite nice and it do seem very doable to run in Core RPG. But have recently taken a break from our RQ6/Mythras campaign since half of the group have so much on the plate right now to fit in any RPG so we decided to take a break from it until life releases the grip of the group and we can set aside time for gaming again.

I am having issues with my home-made version because it has some shaky entries that will occasionally return an error. I am running a Mythras game right now and all combat tracking is done by hand on a sheet that sits next to my computer :) Glad to see another Mythras fan!

trembot_89
October 22nd, 2017, 04:03
I am having issues with my home-made version because it has some shaky entries that will occasionally return an error. I am running a Mythras game right now and all combat tracking is done by hand on a sheet that sits next to my computer :) Glad to see another Mythras fan!

I recently discovered Mythras and have been racking my brain trying to understand FG development enough to Frankenstein a working ruleset for it (no luck thus far). Have you made any progress you feel comfortable sharing?

damned
October 22nd, 2017, 13:52
I downloaded the Imperative quick start rules today and I think it would be reasonably achievable to create a MoreCore extension for this with maybe 1-2 days of effort.

There would be no automation of combat but combat rolls and tracking would be quite robust.

Characteristics go in Rolls 1 (top left) I couldnt see that these were directly rolled against?
Attributes go in Rolls 1a (bottom left) with Hit Points staying in Combat and Luck Points in Hero Points. Some of these are rolls - will need to use something like the Hero Points for 5e for Damage Modifier, a variation of /mod that does type=damage for healing, Hit points max stays in Combat, Initiative is a /mod, HP will use similar system to spell points and sit where Attacks is currently - have to think on the reporting, Magic Points are like Luck/Hero Points.
Standard Skills will go in Rolls 2 and 2a. Rolls will use a variation of Roll Under that will report Success and also success/failure against different difficulty levels. Eg Riding Skill of 56 and you roll a 37. Success on Hard (+S, E, VE). Failure on Formidable.
Professional Skills will go in Rolls 3 and use the same roll from above.
Careers and Culture are Notes
Passions will go in Rolls 3a and will use 2 new rolls - /passion (rollunder) and /pmod (1/7th modifier)
Experience Roll will require a /mod variation that takes a 1d4 rather than a specific number

Combat
Initiative - Order
Attack Rolls followed by Defense Rolls
Damage /mod rolls followed by /mdamage rolls
Need special effects tables handy
It appears that a lot of combat outcomes are chosen after an attack+defensive roll and they do not appear to need rolls to resolve although some do...
/hitlocation roll to determine whee you hit
7 fields to track max + 7 fields to track current hp
I dont really understand how that works either...
If character has CON+SIZ of 24 they get:
Leg 5, Abdomen 6, Chest 7, Each Arm 4, Head 5.
Why is there one leg but Each Arm? But there is a hit table that allows you to hit Left or Right Leg?
What are negative HP for? How far negative can you go?

Anyways... Im not going to do this as I dont have time to - but from what I (think I have) understood its probably quite doable pretty much using elements and examples from MoreCore and MoreCore extensions...

trembot_89
October 22nd, 2017, 17:49
I downloaded the Imperative quick start rules today and I think it would be reasonably achievable to create a MoreCore extension for this with maybe 1-2 days of effort.
There would be no automation of combat but combat rolls and tracking would be quite robust.
Anyways... Im not going to do this as I dont have time to - but from what I (think I have) understood its probably quite doable pretty much using elements and examples from MoreCore and MoreCore extensions...
Very impressive (as always), thank you damned! I'll definitely try this out, cheers.

Characteristics go in Rolls 1 (top left) I couldnt see that these were directly rolled against?
The Characteristics are more-or-less inactive values that combine to give the attributes and starting skills their values. As far as I'm aware, they aren't rolled against anything, so maybe they could go in another location to free up the an area for more rolls?

Why is there one leg but Each Arm? But there is a hit table that allows you to hit Left or Right Leg?
I'm pretty sure that the singular leg thing is unintentional, the rules otherwise have hit locations and points for two legs (humanoids at least). I've brought it up to the creators and maybe they'll fix it.

7 fields to track max + 7 fields to track current hp -- I dont really understand how that works either...
The location specific HP is to give a more detailed system for attack, defense, and armor ("I see your leg is exposed so I'll try to attack that" or "I see your arm is already wounded, I'm going to wound it some more"). The HP maximum for each location is important to keep in mind because it provides the thresholds for wound categories, which your current HP will put you in (I'll elaborate below).

What are negative HP for? How far negative can you go?
Wounds are classified into three categories: minor/superficial wounds, serious/penalizing wounds, and major/life-threatening wounds. As long as your wounded location has >0 hit points, it is considered only slightly wounded and suffers no penalty. When an area falls to 0 HP or below, it begins to suffer penalties when used (or at all times for the torso/head). And once an area reaches the location's negative threshold (or "-max HP") the character is incapacitated to a life-threatening degree (rolls are made, and even if passed the character will die if left untreated). There aren't any rules for further damage below the location's -max, but I doubt there would be anything more you could do to an extremity ("A limb is considered to be severed, transfixed, shattered or ripped off by a Major Wound."), and I think it's safe to rule immediate and uncontested death (no saving roll) if it's the head/chest/abdomen since "Failure results in an instant and gratuitous death (decapitated, chopped in half, impaled through the heart, torn apart, and so forth)" in regards to the Endurance check when first receiving a major wound. If for one reason or another people don't want to use -HP, they could just double the maxHP for each location and apply serious wounds at below half and major wounds at 0.