PDA

View Full Version : Modifier Box not expending

Nickademus
April 11th, 2015, 03:03
I'm using the PF ruleset and have run into an issue.

I'm having trouble recreating it outside of my games (when I don't have time to investigate). Has anyone had an issue with the modifiers in the modifier box and the buttons in the Modifiers window sticking around after the roll?

I've had a couple sessions now where I'd manually add a modifier for flanking (as a GM) or clicked the Cover or Touch button, and had the modifier stick around for a number of creature's turns (much to the detriment of the players). I had to manually set the modifier to zero (I couldn't click the white dot at all to remove it). It didn't do it at the start of each session, but by the end of both it was.

Loucifer
April 13th, 2015, 13:16
Might have clicked the little crosshair icon to tell it not to use the modifier. (not completely clear on how that function works)

Trenloe
April 13th, 2015, 13:32
Might have clicked the little crosshair icon to tell it not to use the modifier. (not completely clear on how that function works)
That enables targeting of the next roll or not. I believe it has nothing to do with the modifiers, other than being on the modifiers box.

Nickademus
April 13th, 2015, 17:50
I swtiched the crosshair on and off while having the problem. It made no difference.

I have the suspicion it has to do with players being connected as I can't recreate it alone or with a localhost login.

Nylanfs
April 13th, 2015, 18:29
Make sure that they have all updated.

Nickademus
April 13th, 2015, 18:46
Everyone updated back in March. There have been no changes to 3.5e/PF since then (that we've been told about).

Zacchaeus
April 13th, 2015, 21:48
It's not just the ruleset that's updated but the client too. The little box on modifiers switches between use current target or not for the roll so that shouldn't be causing any problems. Best suggestion is to all update everything to the current version.

Nickademus
April 13th, 2015, 23:10
Best suggestion is to all update everything to the current version.

I sincerely hope this is not the problem, as the update was the day of the game and I didn't have time to update before running. I informed my players not to update as I wasn't going to for the game. It might have been that one of them did anyway.

If the lack of version control is something that is actively sabotaging my game, then I would hope Smite Works would put some effort into addressing the issue like was mentioned in the other threads. I don't like it when I have to cancel games because A) My extensions are broken and I can't run the game without them, or B) My players' client break my game due to having a different version.

I'm hoping the problem is something not related to updating.

Zacchaeus
April 14th, 2015, 09:39
I sincerely hope this is not the problem, as the update was the day of the game and I didn't have time to update before running. I informed my players not to update as I wasn't going to for the game. It might have been that one of them did anyway.

If the lack of version control is something that is actively sabotaging my game, then I would hope Smite Works would put some effort into addressing the issue like was mentioned in the other threads. I don't like it when I have to cancel games because A) My extensions are broken and I can't run the game without them, or B) My players' client break my game due to having a different version.

I'm hoping the problem is something not related to updating.

We were making a suggestion as to what might be the cause of your problem. It is one thing to try, it might not work.
If Fantasy Grounds wasn't updated then it would have stopped being useful years ago. So, clearly, it is a great thing that it is supported to the level that it is. Updating takes at the very most (for me) less than a minute and I live in a remote area with a **** connection. My players all have superfast broadband which has updated before they even gave time to press the button.

So, what I'm saying is it really doesn't take long to update the client and any files and to make sure that your players have too before logging on to a game. Mine do, there is zero inconvenience. Also as GM if you look at the window when people join I believe that it will tell you if one or more of your players have a different version.

Nickademus
April 14th, 2015, 09:51
So, what I'm saying is it really doesn't take long to update the client and any files and to make sure that your players have too before logging on to a game. Mine do, there is zero inconvenience. Also as GM if you look at the window when people join I believe that it will tell you if one or more of your players have a different version.

I didn't go into detail because this was talking about in other threads, but you seem to be forgetting that an update can break extensions which take time for a GM to fix (or wait for the owner to fix and upload to the forums). So the inconvenience of an update could be days.

My biggest problem here was that this update, version 3.0.12 I now know, wasn't announced and there was no information for it in the Core or PF section of the forum. Today it was finally revealed that it was an update and did indeed change some files in both rulesets. It would have been nice to know this a week ago when the update was pushed.

At any rate, I updated and fixed all my modules and extensions. I'll see if this problem comes back in my Wednesday game.

Zacchaeus
April 14th, 2015, 12:03
I didn't go into detail because this was talking about in other threads, but you seem to be forgetting that an update can break extensions which take time for a GM to fix (or wait for the owner to fix and upload to the forums). So the inconvenience of an update could be days.

My biggest problem here was that this update, version 3.0.12 I now know, wasn't announced and there was no information for it in the Core or PF section of the forum. Today it was finally revealed that it was an update and did indeed change some files in both rulesets. It would have been nice to know this a week ago when the update was pushed.

At any rate, I updated and fixed all my modules and extensions. I'll see if this problem comes back in my Wednesday game.

Ah, ok. I forget that I always use the test version which was 3.0.12 and has been available for some time. You also have a point about the extensions. I didn't think of that (I don't use many apart from some cosmetic ones).

Trenloe
April 14th, 2015, 15:13
Ah, ok. I forget that I always use the test version which was 3.0.12 and has been available for some time.
And that (running test), in and of itself can cause issues unless all of the players and the GM are on the test version, all used extensions have been updated to that specific code release of the test version (highly unlikely) and everyone updates just before they join a game ran by a GM on test version.

As a side note: if you, or anyone else reading this thread, is running on the FG test version and is playing or GMing in FG Con, please change to "live" and do an update before you GM/play in the convention - everyone should be using "live" and not "test" for FG Con. Thanks.

Zacchaeus
April 14th, 2015, 18:59
<---- Hangs his head in shame and goes to sit on the naughty step to think about what he has done. :)

Trenloe
April 14th, 2015, 19:23
Running on the test version is OK - SmiteWorks rely on the community to do some of their beta testing for them, hence why it is made available. Just be aware that extensions might cause issues - so if you encounter any problems disable extensions to see if it is the base code or the extensions causing the issue. And when reporting any issues identified in the base code, remember to indicate that you are running on the current test release, not live.

Nickademus
April 14th, 2015, 20:00
My problem with this so far is that I've not been able to recreate it with the extensions turned on. So I didn't even get to the point of turning them off and trying. Seems it only appears when I'm in a large combat in the middle of a game and don't have time to investigate.

I blame Murphy.

Nickademus
April 16th, 2015, 01:03
In my game at the moment. Everyone is updated, and the modifier box is not removing the bonus when a die is rolled or an ability is being used. Opened another client with the same extensions running and it works just fine. I can connect with a character via localhost and it works just fine.

This is right after a roll.

damned
April 16th, 2015, 02:22
In my game at the moment. Everyone is updated, and the modifier box is not removing the bonus when a die is rolled or an ability is being used. Opened another client with the same extensions running and it works just fine. I can connect with a character via localhost and it works just fine.

What happens in a new/blank campaign?

https://www.fg-con.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/fg-con-6-150-7.jpg (https://www.fg-con.com/events/)
FG Con 6 – April 17-19th 2015 - register at www.fg-con.com (https://www.fg-con.com/) for all the latest info.

Trenloe
April 16th, 2015, 05:48

Would be nice to see a complete screenshot - this really doesn't help, as we believe what you've been saying! :)

Nickademus
April 16th, 2015, 06:38
What happens in a new/blank campaign?

It works fine. I can even open a second campaign that had problems last week and it works fine. It seems to be only when a player(s) is connected to the campaign that the modifier box is broken. I have the same campaign running that I did when I posted that screenshot, though the session was reloaded after the last combat to update a module. The box works fine now (all the players have disconnected).

I don't like to upload screenshots of my games without the consent of my players. That and I have two groups playing this AP and don't want to upload spoilers.

Zacchaeus
April 16th, 2015, 13:52
A bit of a pain, but is it possible that one of your player's isn't updating properly (I mean not their fault, just that for some reason their files aren't updating). It might be worthwhile having them come on one at a time, check if the box is working, then have another join and so on.

Nickademus
April 16th, 2015, 22:13
That was my next thought: try to isolate a player. I'll have to wait until the next time I run a game, but I know it's not a single player since it happened in both of my games (which share no players).

Moon Wizard
April 18th, 2015, 23:34
I don't think it would be a version mismatch issue, as the modifier box is controlled by the ruleset scripts from the GM machine only. It will bypass the client ruleset files in favor on the GM version. Also, the modifier box is a local user construct, and is not propagated with game data.

My guess is that some piece of roll handling code (either ruleset, extension or combination) is locking the modifier stack and not unlocking it.
ModifierStack.lock / ModifierStack.unlock
ActionsManager.lockModifiers / ActionsManager.unlockModifiers

I checked all the references for those functions in CoreRPG, 3.5E and PFRPG; and they are all balanced. (i.e. lock followed shortly by unlock)

Perhaps one of the extensions is modifying a script, or a script error during roll handling is stopping the Lua code from getting to the unlock.

Regards,
JPG

Nickademus
April 19th, 2015, 00:49
I'll look into it, but I don't think any of my extensions are touching code that deals with rolls. I keep it fairly simple now; it's mostly graphical and languages.

Nickademus
April 19th, 2015, 00:58
I take that back. I was using a Custom Dice extension that I got from Trenloe in another thread. It isn't in the list of normal extensions, but if anyone else has been playing around with it (it's kind of in the beta stage), it probably needs updated for 3.0.12. I didn't check; I just spliced the code into the current file.

Hopefully that fixes things. Thanks Moon for the inside perspective.