PDA

View Full Version : question about dice rolls

Ramius613
April 11th, 2015, 01:45
I'm looking at getting my friends together and plays some 5e with the newly released modules, and I have a question. Would my players be able to enter in a number that they rolled with their physical dice on to a power and then have it complete the attack?

Trenloe
April 11th, 2015, 02:29
No, not really. The systems set up to use the dice roll, modifiers, effects, automation, etc. within Fantasy Grounds. The info for the GM to make the hit/miss, save/fail decisions, etc. is still available within the stats within Fantasy Grounds - and NPC defences can be quickly seen in the combat tracker so the GM can manually adjudicate easily if needed. But it will be so much easier for all involved if the players roll the FG dice.

Nickademus
April 11th, 2015, 02:40
There may be a way. Let me check something...

EDIT:
Well, I believe it is possible with a little work, but probably not worth it.

FG can roll a d1 by using the /die command (/die 1d1) which will always result in a 1. Put a number in the modifier box and the d1 will always roll one more than the number (i.e. +6 in the modifier box for 1d1+6 = 7). The problem here is that the roll is a generic number and won't register as an attack or damage.

Now if an extension was made that swapped the die info of the d20 with that of a d1, you could just put '/die 1d1' in a hotbar slot and use the modifier box to set the amount that was rolled with the real die. The problem is, other than having to make an extension, that every d20 would disappear from FG and you would have to manually put in the modifier for the roll on every roll.

Probably not worth it.

Ramius613
April 11th, 2015, 04:28
Thanks.

heavy3p0
April 11th, 2015, 15:01
I'm looking at getting my friends together and plays some 5e with the newly released modules, and I have a question. Would my players be able to enter in a number that they rolled with their physical dice on to a power and then have it complete the attack?

One of my favorite things about Fantasy Grounds is how well the 3D dice work. unlike most other vtt's, the dice in Fantasy Grounds are displayed right there on the table top and have excellent physics/animation. You can just 'pick' them up roll like you would at a real table and calculate your results old school style, or use the automation on the character sheet and combat tracker to resolve actions. which ever you prefer. i tend to do both depending on the situation.

Nylanfs
April 11th, 2015, 15:12
Plus you can spin the d20 on its tip like at a table game.