PDA

View Full Version : Help with Point Buy system

jhall6766
April 10th, 2015, 03:25
Can some one please tell me how to use the point buy option in character creation... Ive been toying with it for two hours now in the manage character mode... Im assuming one screen is to set up the cost and the second is for assigning abilty scores but am uncertain since I have been unable to find anything on its use..95589559

Trenloe
April 10th, 2015, 03:31
You're doing it right as far as I can tell. It looks like the points aren't being assigned properly.

(I've also renamed this thread title to be a little more informative).

jhall6766
April 10th, 2015, 03:36
Thank You Trenloe... As for the points not being assigned properly is that something on my end or with in the program...
(Your thread title is much beter then mine)

Trenloe
April 10th, 2015, 03:40
As for the points not being assigned properly is that something on my end or with in the program...
I think it's with the program, I can't get it to work properly either.

jhall6766
April 10th, 2015, 03:45
K just wanted to make certain that it wasnt something I was doing on my end....

jhall6766
April 10th, 2015, 03:51
Agh I think I see what its doing.... It seems to be adding all the points together as you move up ie 15 which is only 9 points to buy is becoming 31 points due to adding up all the prior costs....

Trenloe
April 10th, 2015, 03:56
Actually, looks like I was doing it wrong too. I checked the code and it is setup to add all of the previous values together, so you need to do it on a previous levels + this level addition = total for this level.

Try this, which should work based off the table on page 13 of the PHB:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/39085830/Screenshots/Fantasy%20Grounds/Point%20Buy.jpg

jhall6766
April 10th, 2015, 04:00
Thank You again Trenloe... im going to try it out..

JohnD
April 10th, 2015, 07:34
Yeah that works.

lbealsjr
April 11th, 2015, 00:25
I have to say this is the most counter-intuitive system yet. The fact that is erases previously added values as you add new items is pretty frustrating. And as you go into edit the boxes it jumps around from box to box in a seemingly random manner (though I am sure there is some method to the madness) and changes numbers previously entered. Perhaps you can explain what the program is actually doing here?

Griogre
April 12th, 2015, 18:36
The way point buy is set up it wants the total cost to make it to a stat to be the *sum* of the numbers up to that stat. So in 5E there is 0 pt cost to get to 8 since all stats start at 8. To buy a 9 stat it costs 0 for 8 and +1 for the 9 for a total of 1 pt.

Likewise to get a 15 it sums the points for 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 and 15 or 0 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 2 + 2 = 9 pts.

And yeah, I think its pretty counter intuitive too. You could just do the point buy manually in your head or use the table on page 13 of the PH faster.

Trenloe
April 12th, 2015, 18:46
Once you've set it up in Manage Characters for the 5E ruleset it's there each time you open manage characters. Worth doing if you can get over the dynamic re-ordering of fields as you type in the numbers and work out the points cost to enter (shown in post #7 above up to 15).

jhall6766
April 15th, 2015, 18:49
Hello Trenloe ,
I was wondering with the point buy set up is it possible to actually get to either 17 or 18... If so how would the point system advance.... Ie would 16 cost 3 or 4 points plus previous Cost, then the same for 17. Would 18 be +5 or should it go to 8 plus the previous .... Also what would be a sensible point pool to start with in that situation...

Nylanfs
April 15th, 2015, 19:07
In 5e with the point buy system you can't get a 17 or 18 unless you have a big racial bonus.

JohnD
April 15th, 2015, 19:11
15 is as high as you can go.

jhall6766
April 15th, 2015, 19:21
ok thank you... I was just curious because I know sometimes in Dm guides and such they show you how to expand on things like that... Unfortunately The Dm's guide has not become officially available yet on FG..... Thanks again

JohnD
April 15th, 2015, 19:38
With everyone getting bonuses everywhere and for everything, I don't think you'd want stats to go higher. All it takes is one (or two) characters like that and the balance is all out the window for your adventure and the other players who don't have 20s in a stat or two.

jhall6766
April 15th, 2015, 19:46
Yeah I seemed to have overlooked that aspect.... Its ok though I basically wanted to make certain that there is nothing out there that someone could use to surprise me... Thank You again

grapper
April 15th, 2015, 21:40
What it lists is the number of points to increase your ability by one point. You don't need to fill in every value individually. Instead list the ranges.

up to 8 -- Point cost 0
9 to 13 -- Point cost 1
14 to 15 -- Point cost 2

Of course, this is not the way that the PHB does it, which is why it throws so many people off.

jhall6766
April 15th, 2015, 21:49
Thank you Very Much grapper.... I was asking more about buying points above 15 and how would it work if such a thing would be possible... It was really just asked out of curiousity and in case I wished to enable such a thing in the future for my players...

grapper
April 15th, 2015, 22:23
Thank you Very Much grapper.... I was asking more about buying points above 15 and how would it work if such a thing would be possible... It was really just asked out of curiousity and in case I wished to enable such a thing in the future for my players...

Sorry about that, I meant to reply to someone else's question about the logic of setting things up this way.

If you want to go over 15 set it up this way:

up to 8 -- Point cost 0
9 to 13 -- Point cost 1
14 to 16 -- Point cost 2
17 to 17 -- Point cost 3
18 to 18 -- Point cost 4

if you keep with the traditional scaling from previous versions of D&D.

Personally, I like the cap at 15 since it encourages more well rounded characters. If you do allow people to go over the 15 cap it could throw some of the scaling out of whack. The bounded accuracy and relatively flat leveling curve makes a +1 or 2 difference in ability bonus extremely powerful. If people take advantage of this to min/max they will be noticeably more powerful, which is fine as long as you're aware of the consequences.

someoneinatree
April 16th, 2015, 12:45
I responded in the general thread about this, but yeah mine looks pretty simple once you just use the ranges. And yes, I do allow for going up to 16 or 17 even though the PHB doesn't... just in case a DM allows for it as a house rule (but definitely stepping up to 3 points after you hit the RAW cap of 15). 9607

FSHSchmo
April 10th, 2016, 06:01
Actually, looks like I was doing it wrong too. I checked the code and it is setup to add all of the previous values together, so you need to do it on a previous levels + this level addition = total for this level.

Try this, which should work based off the table on page 13 of the PHB:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/39085830/Screenshots/Fantasy%20Grounds/Point%20Buy.jpg

Working on correcting this in FG, any chance you have the above screenshot still?

FSHSchmo
April 10th, 2016, 06:04
Working on correcting this in FG, any chance you have the above screenshot still?

Nevermind, missed the previous post :D

ffujita
April 11th, 2016, 19:06
I use https://1-dot-encounter-planner.appspot.com/point-buy-calculator.html whenever I want to point buy my new 5e characters. Remember if you want to input pre-racial numbers, you need to put them in before you add the race to your character sheet. If you are going to input post-racial numbers, add your race first. And whatever you do -- add the race (and stats) and background *BEFORE* you add your class.

JMunsonII
May 3rd, 2018, 23:11
I realize this is an old thread, but, how does one tick the option to activate the point buy system during character creation?

Trenloe
May 3rd, 2018, 23:26
I realize this is an old thread, but, how does one tick the option to activate the point buy system during character creation?
Welcome to the forums.

This functionality is available in the "Manage Characters" portion of Fantasy Grounds - select this from the main FG launch screen. It is not available when in a campaign.

JMunsonII
May 4th, 2018, 13:21
Welcome to the forums.

This functionality is available in the "Manage Characters" portion of Fantasy Grounds - select this from the main FG launch screen. It is not available when in a campaign.

Thank you for the response.

When I click the "Manage Characters" button, all I get is the middle panel asking to select the ruleset & corresponding options. The DnD 5e SRD is then selected (and a couple pertinent options). However, the only place to go from there is the "Start" button. Then I get the main application window. I haven't found the point buy option within the available sections.

Is that system only available if the PHB is installed, or under a different circumstance?

I am attempting to come to grips with FG, and have been wading through the various tutorials and help items before I post here.

Andraax
May 4th, 2018, 13:42
Did you click on the points tab?

https://s3.silent-tower.org/point-buy-01.png

Gwydion
May 4th, 2018, 13:45
Thank you for the response.

When I click the "Manage Characters" button, all I get is the middle panel asking to select the ruleset & corresponding options. The DnD 5e SRD is then selected (and a couple pertinent options). However, the only place to go from there is the "Start" button. Then I get the main application window. I haven't found the point buy option within the available sections.

Is that system only available if the PHB is installed, or under a different circumstance?

I am attempting to come to grips with FG, and have been wading through the various tutorials and help items before I post here.

Hey JMunsonII. So, once you click the start button and FG loads, you will see the chat window with three tabs, "log", "roll" and "points". If you click on the "points" tab, you can then assign the cost of attributes. (e.g. from 9-11, 1 pt). At the bottom right of that screen is a group of dice. Click on it and it will bring up attribute scores. If you plug in a number under score, it will show you the cost and then at the bottom of the tab keep a running total of the amount spent. Keep in mind, although this can be used, a lot of folks just determine their scores from other websites and then input them when they create a character. Keep the questions coming! There is a lot to learn but it is an awesome program...

edit: Ninja'd but Andraax! :)

JMunsonII
May 4th, 2018, 13:53
I would never have thought to look at the "chat" box... LOL...

Tielc
May 8th, 2018, 02:27
I'm going to be honest here. I just purchased the Standard License, the PHB, Xanathars Guide and Sword Coast Adventurers Guide to create characters on my own, and this was my first experience with Fantasy Grounds "for real". This is your customer's very first experience in many cases. This, in my opinion a) should work as players expect, b) these charts should be included with the PHB (in terms of automation).

JMunsonII
May 8th, 2018, 11:55
I'm going to be honest here. I just purchased the Standard License, the PHB, Xanathars Guide and Sword Coast Adventurers Guide to create characters on my own, and this was my first experience with Fantasy Grounds "for real". This is your customer's very first experience in many cases. This, in my opinion a) should work as players expect, b) these charts should be included with the PHB (in terms of automation).

To be fair, FG is a software system whose goal is to facilitate online coordination of many and sundry RPGs that, at least, fit the core paradigm that FG supports. Thus, it isn't going to be a "D&D" system or oriented to any other system. While I'm not the software engineer, nor familiar with all the RPGs out there (I'm a D&D guy, with some exposure to Traveler, Top Secret, and a touch of The Morris Project) the solution for the point buy may be the only one that fits the various versions of those systems in use or yet to be in use.

That being said, a better description of how to use the point buy system - in the User Guide - would have been great as that would have saved me a few hours of playing around. It did take a little bit of play, but I did finally get it figured out. It isn't hard if you know the approach, but certainly can be a bit mind boggling if you don't.

My only "gripe" would be that putting the point buy on the chat box is not the first place an "initiate to FG" would look - next to/near the ability scores is the natural place.

Zacchaeus
May 8th, 2018, 14:15
Or you could have watched this video (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?43677-Point-Buy-Video&p=388441#post388441).

JMunsonII
May 8th, 2018, 17:33
Fab video - wish I'd known about that before I started messing about with the point buy system!

FG needs to make that one PROMINENT!

JMunsonII
July 22nd, 2018, 17:00
I've noticed that in Campaign mode (not Manage Characters; just starting a campaign this coming weekend), the three tabs, including Points, are not present across the top of the chat box. I have the Ultimate license, and my players will be connecting via a mix of standard/free clients. The standard clients are not necessarily going to be an issue as they can "Manage Characters." However, the free clients will be - given that they cannot create/save characters.

How does one implement the Point Buy system for the free clients given their no save restriction? What is the normal "work flow" that FG is expecting when starting a campaign with fresh characters that the players are to create?

Andraax
July 22nd, 2018, 17:07
How does one implement the Point Buy system for the free clients given their no save restriction? What is the normal "work flow" that FG is expecting when starting a campaign with fresh characters that the players are to create?

Same way if you were using paper sheets to record the stats. Figure out the stats, and type them into the boxes when they connect to your host system.

JMunsonII
July 22nd, 2018, 17:30
Got it - thanks!

Zacchaeus
July 22nd, 2018, 18:13
You do character creation in the campaign. They don't need to go into manage characters to create a character no matter what the license type. Otherwise it is as Andraax says.

Trenloe
July 22nd, 2018, 18:24
However, the free clients will be - given that they cannot create/save characters.

How does one implement the Point Buy system for the free clients given their no save restriction?
There is no save restriction in manage characters for free clients. Players can create and edit characters, save them and have them available for upload when they join a campaign.