PDA

View Full Version : Unable to Update 5E modules

Himajin
April 9th, 2015, 16:46
I purchased the base package, ultimate upgrade and main 5E packs on Steam.
Upon first install everything seemed to work okay, but now when I try to use the updater, halfway through updating "DD PHB Deluxe.mod", the following error appears:

Getting purchases from Steam server
Getting manifest for Steam package (300870)
Getting manifest for Steam package (360090)
updating modules/DD PHB Deluxe.mod
Error during update check.

Can you let me know what I'm doing wrong?

Trenloe
April 9th, 2015, 17:04
If you're running on windows you might try the following:

Try running Fantasy Grounds as administrator. Right-click on the FG shortcut and select "Run As Administrator".
Make sure you don't have any other instanced of Fantasy Grounds running - check in Windows Task Manager for "FantasyGrounds.exe." in the Processes tab.
Reboot and try again.

Did you install to the default file locations or have you changed them?

JohnD
April 9th, 2015, 17:09
Wonder if anti virus could be blocking.

Himajin
April 9th, 2015, 17:15
I am on Windows. I tried the solutions you gave, but still no luck, unfortunately.

I confirmed there were no Fantasy Grounds instances running in the Task Manager.

I tried running the shortcut for FantasyGrounds.exe as an administrator, but I still get the error, and the update process hangs.
Likewise running "FantasyGrounds.exe" "FantasyGroundsUpdater.exe" or "UpdaterEngine.exe" as an administrator did not help.

Is there anything else I can try? Would it mess things up if I deleted the DD PHB Deluxe.mod file and tried to download it again from scratch?

Himajin
April 9th, 2015, 17:17
I tried disabling my antivirus protection, but this also did not resolve the problem.

Trenloe
April 9th, 2015, 17:18
Is there anything else I can try? Would it mess things up if I deleted the DD PHB Deluxe.mod file and tried to download it again from scratch?
Yeah, you can try that.

Where is your FG data directory pointing to?

Himajin
April 9th, 2015, 17:24
My data directory points here:

C:\Users\Office\AppData\Roaming\Fantasy Grounds

I tried deleting the "DD PHB Deluxe.mod" file in the modules folder there. Now when I use the updater, it still hangs and does not redownload the file. The content does not appear to be available to me at all anymore...

Trenloe
April 9th, 2015, 17:28
Try deleting content.dat (in the main FG App Data folder) and re-running an update.

Himajin
April 9th, 2015, 17:35
Do you mean the "content.dat.tmp" file?

I tried completely deleting the software from steam and manually deleting each of the program folders. When I reinstalled, everything was downloaded correctly this time. However, the error still seems to be appearing when I try to check for an update, even though no downloads were attempted this time:

"Getting purchases from Steam server
Getting manifest for Steam package (300870)
Getting manifest for Steam package (360090)
Error during update check."

Should the 5e packages be showing up under "products" in the Settings? Because the only related entry there simply say "5E". Maybe it doesn't know that I have bought those packages?

Griogre
April 9th, 2015, 17:44
That may be the problem, there is typically a lag between a purchase on Steam and it getting over to SmiteWorks and I imagine there are a lot of new buyers. You can e-mail [email protected] if you need to update something right away.

Himajin
April 9th, 2015, 17:49
Thanks for the help everyone. I'll wait and see if the situation resolves itself eventually, then. Hopefully it won't be necessary to delete and reinstall every time I update.

Trenloe
April 9th, 2015, 17:53
Should the 5e packages be showing up under "products" in the Settings? Because the only related entry there simply say "5E". Maybe it doesn't know that I have bought those packages?
You won't see the products in the product list as this is related to products bought from the Fantasy Grounds website store and not through Steam. The Steam DLC is determined by connecting to the Steam client on the same computer and getting the FG DLC associated with the logged in user. As your update log shows that it is getting access to the Steam packages then this process appears to be going OK.

With you seeing "content.dat.tmp" but not a content.dat file suggests that the download is starting (what size is the content.dat.tmp file?) but is either not completing or not being able to change the filename from content.tmp.dat to content.dat once the download is complete. For reference, I have the complete PHB and the Basic Rules 5E content and my content.dat file is 35,365 KB in size.

Himajin
April 9th, 2015, 18:05
The content.dat.tmp file is only 6 KB, and there is no content.dat file. I still seem to have access to the content in the program, however. I'm not really sure what's going on, now...

Trenloe
April 9th, 2015, 18:08
I still seem to have access to the content in the program, however. I'm not really sure what's going on, now...
Huh? What content do you have access to? Could you supply a screenshot? Thanks.

Himajin
April 9th, 2015, 18:20
I haven't checked in too much detail, but I seem to have access to all the content, even though the content.dat file is not present.

Trenloe
April 9th, 2015, 18:25
This has just come to light: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?23648-PC-Win-8-1-User-Purchased-from-Steam-Can-t-find-my-5e-content&p=205836#post205836 It looks like for some people FG is storing the content.dat file in the program directory (where the FantasyGrounds.exe file is) and not the FG Data directory. This allows you to get access but can raise errors during update.

Himajin
April 9th, 2015, 18:38
Hmm, that's strange. I don't seem to have content.dat in my other Fantasy Grounds folder with FantasyGrounds.exe in it, either. This is starting to give me a headache...

Trenloe
April 9th, 2015, 18:42
Do a file search on your PC for content.dat. Other than that, it works - leave it for now. Although there might be issues for future updates...

Himajin
April 9th, 2015, 18:50
Other than the aforementioned content.dat.tmp from the AppData folder, the only content.dat files I have on the drive are for other programs.
Maybe the steam version handles content differently? In the AppData\Roaming\Fantasy Grounds folder there is a "modules" folder that seems to contain the actual content in my case.
It might be this inconsistency that is making the update process not work properly. Hopefully this can be resolved soon.

ddavison
April 9th, 2015, 23:01
We just pushed a new version of the installer to Steam. You might try re-installing through Steam and then running the Updater.

Himajin
April 10th, 2015, 01:10
I tried once again re-installing through steam. Although previously the installation itself seemed to work, now I get the following error upon installation:

HandleFile: Unable to save file (modules/DD PHB Deluxe.mod) to content vault.

This causes installation to fail, and I don't have access to any of the content anymore. Please look into this as soon as possible.

Himajin
April 10th, 2015, 01:16
After the failed installation, I tried the update process again. To my surprise, it actually seemed to work this time. Now I have a content.dat file in the AppData/roaming/Fantasy Grounds folder, instead of the individual files in the modules folder.

In short, before I could install fine but not update. Now the installation fails, but the update works. That seems to have resolved the issue for me, although the failed installation could be confusing for new users.

ddavison
April 10th, 2015, 02:50
Thanks for your report Himajin. We are trying to work through a few issues here, it seems. I'm glad you got it working on your system.

Emhster
April 14th, 2015, 01:07
I currently have the exact same issue.

Edit- I didn't see page 2 or 3 before posting :p

I tried reinstalling, but I run into the exact same issue. I get a 17MB content.dat.tmp to appear in AppData\Roaming\Fantasy Grounds (next to a 1k content.dat). The DD PHB Deluxe appears in AppData\Roaming\Fantasy Grounds\modules...

Emhster
April 14th, 2015, 01:31
SOLVED.
I went into Steam\steamapps\common\Fantasy Grounds and ran UpdaterEngine as admin, which resolved the issue. Running Steam or FG as Admin didn't work at first, but running UpdaterEngine worked.

damned
April 14th, 2015, 01:38
Thanks for the update Emhster!

damned
April 15th, 2015, 14:11
Interestingly I am now having this issue.
I have a 4.54kb content.dat - not content.dat.tmp
I have run updaterengine.exe as Admin from both FG install Directory and Steam/FG install directory.
No dice.
Can delete content.dat and it recreates the same size.

BBGaming
April 15th, 2015, 16:57
Thanks to Doug linking the 5e materials to my forum name, I was able to get the content through a work-around. Can't seem to get the stuff through Steam. It just doesn't save or open correctly.

The guys are working hard to help me get this fixed. I'll post something here should we have some success.

Thanks
Robert

ladybearheart
April 16th, 2015, 01:27
I am having the same issue. I didn't have Steam before I installed. Thus, I find I don't have the file path (even though I now have Steam) that Emhster lists as the solution. I have tried running FG Updater as administrator, but still no love. It says:

HandleFile: Unable to save file (mudules/DD Basic Rules - DM.mod) to content vault.

damned
April 16th, 2015, 02:20
I am having the same issue. I didn't have Steam before I installed. Thus, I find I don't have the file path (even though I now have Steam) that Emhster lists as the solution. I have tried running FG Updater as administrator, but still no love. It says:

HandleFile: Unable to save file (mudules/DD Basic Rules - DM.mod) to content vault.

Try running the file updaterengine.exe directly as Administrator...

https://www.fg-con.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/fg-con-6-150-7.jpg (https://www.fg-con.com/events/)
FG Con 6 – April 17-19th 2015 - register at www.fg-con.com (https://www.fg-con.com/) for all the latest info.

ladybearheart
April 16th, 2015, 03:09
I have. And I just did it again. Still, not able to access even though the files are there.

damned
April 16th, 2015, 14:59
ladybearheart can you be more specific?
Which files are there?
How big are they?
Where/how are you trying to access them?

damned
April 16th, 2015, 15:01
moon_wizard / ddavison
I still cant download the 5e stuff I bought.
I dont have any errors.
I do have a content.dat - it is now 5.77kb after retrying all the above steps.

Trenloe
April 16th, 2015, 15:05
And you can't access any 5E modules from within Fantasy Grounds?

damned
April 16th, 2015, 15:10
And you can't access any 5E modules from within Fantasy Grounds?

Thats correct.

Moon Wizard
April 17th, 2015, 00:46
Doug and I are investigating this issue, as it has cropped up for a few users. However, we're still working on it.

Please send us a screenshot (alt+PrtScrn) to [email protected]

Also, I'm going to be trying to synch with people tomorrow via Google Hangouts to view screen shares, if you are available.

Thanks,
JPG

damned
April 17th, 2015, 02:37
Doug and I are investigating this issue, as it has cropped up for a few users. However, we're still working on it.

Please send us a screenshot (alt+PrtScrn) to [email protected]

Also, I'm going to be trying to synch with people tomorrow via Google Hangouts to view screen shares, if you are available.

Thanks,
JPG

Sent.

BBGaming
April 17th, 2015, 19:23
Just got off of a Google Hangout with Moon Wizard.

I believe my issue may be fixed now. It could have been the fact 2 keys were entered into Steam.

Big thanks to both John and Doug for working to correct the problem.

Fingers crossed for everyone else!

Robert

Larac
April 17th, 2015, 20:49
I had ti reenter my login and pass in the updater when I had this happen, worth a try.

damned
April 18th, 2015, 04:14
Larac thankyou, thankyou, thankyou. The FG Updater wasnt complaining with the existing details but once I reset my password and updated it there all my products downloaded.

https://www.fg-con.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/fg-con-6-150-14.jpg (https://www.fg-con.com/events/)
FG Con 6 – April 17-19th 2015 - register at www.fg-con.com (https://www.fg-con.com/) for all the latest info.

Larac
April 19th, 2015, 06:06
Yep no error just like it lost the password.
So glad it worked for you.

damned
April 19th, 2015, 06:36
Yep no error just like it lost the password.
So glad it worked for you.

Me too! 3.0.13 will actively check and report this and several other error reporting improvements.

gqwebb
April 20th, 2015, 07:12
FYI from a newbee, went round and round with this and nothing worked from running as admin, deleting this, moving that.. But under AppData\Roaming\Fantasy Grounds i just renamed the file content.dat.tmp to content.dat and it seem to work now. Just wanted to say the only reason I bought this was WOTC trused you all. please do better.
\ \ / /
(Spider)
/ / \ \

ps.. rerunning is another failed update but content.dat was not overwritten so i still see my stuff. I do not plan on following with thread. If you would like my help just email me.

Moon Wizard
April 20th, 2015, 10:32
I just sent you an e-mail to get more information. We'd like to get your update working, since data fixes for those products will be coming.

Thanks,
JPG

jascott75172
April 20th, 2015, 19:20
I seem to be having a similar issue. When I run the updater I get the following error: "ERROR - GetProducts: Network: connecting to host Retrying in 10 seconds. It just keeps saying that.

I have attempted the work arounds listed in this thread: deleting content.dat, running FG and UpdateEngine in admin, re entering longin and pw in updater and renaming content.dat.temp and nothing has changed.

I do have a content.dat.temp located in the data directory not the app directory and it is 1k. There is neither content.dat or content.dat.temp in the app directory. I downloaded from the store on the website not steam and I do not have check steam checked in the settings.

When I try to log in using the updater and it asks for pw it says "checking credentials" and just seems to stop there.

It appears I'm not talking to the update server. I have no other outstanding networking issues, and have turned firewall and virus software off for update.

Thanks for all you do to help resolve these issues...:)

Trenloe
April 20th, 2015, 21:13
It appears I'm not talking to the update server.
Sounds like it. Because of lots of DDOS attacks certain locations have had to be blocked by default. Where are you located? Who is your Internet provider?

jascott75172
April 20th, 2015, 23:16
We live in a very small village in New York on the Canadian boarder called Massena. Our ISP is Time Warner Cable.

damned
April 21st, 2015, 01:38
can you double check your AV/FW hasnt blocked the application?
a couple of times it has been reported that the updater was blocked from accessing internet by the Antivirus Firewall.

these files need access to the internet -
FantasyGrounds.exe
FantasyGroundsUpdater.exe
UpdaterEngine.exe

Jendar41
April 21st, 2015, 02:05
Hi. I just purchased an Ultimate Subscription and the Deluxe PHB. I have downloaded the platform, but it doesn't seem to recognize I have bought anything when I try to use it.

On the very beginning screen, it only has options for "Create Demo Campaign" and "Play Demo Campaign." I have updated it multiple times, and it shows the DeluxePHB. I also uninstalled the program and reinstalled it.

When I create Demo Campaign, I select 5e, but there is simply a generic background and no 5e specific options. I thought this was an issue with Hamachi (I use public wifi and it didn't recognize the right port, but I think I have that set up properly).

Please help me figure out to fix this ASAP. I brought three of my long time buddies back into gaming after 20 years from all over the country because of this, and everyone is excited to play Wednesday, but I can't do anything for them to be able to create characters beforehand, much less run an actual game.

Nylanfs
April 21st, 2015, 02:39
Did you buy it from Steam or the store here on their website? If you bought it here you need to put you license key that came in the email into the settings and put your forum acct and password when prompted.

damned
April 21st, 2015, 02:59
Yep - if you only have the demo campaign options then your Ultimate license key isnt entered or isnt being registered.

It should look something like this:

https://www.fg-con.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/fg-update-settings.jpg

Jendar41
April 21st, 2015, 03:03
Thank you. I had done all that, but reading through (which I admittedly should have done before) showed that deleting the content.dat did the trick.

damned
April 21st, 2015, 03:12
Great news. The 5e release brought some security updates which have caused some complications on a small number of computers. The SmiteWorks guys have several patches almost ready to deploy that will fix some (most?) of these issues - I know that didnt help you right now but I think it does help knowing that the product is always being improved upon.

jascott75172
April 21st, 2015, 07:54
OK, interesting, decided to try it one last time. Problem resolved without any other changes. Thanks all for the assistance...:)

Jendar41
April 21st, 2015, 13:24
Another question please: my player tried to connect last night using a Mac. He was able to join the campaign and roll some dice, but he kept disconnecting and reconnecting, and it said Host (3.0.13) is running a different version than Client (3.0.3). Any idea what I tell him to do? I'm not Mac proficient.

damned
April 21st, 2015, 13:26
The player is running an OLD version 3.0.3 is about 2 years old. Needs to update.

Jendar41
April 21st, 2015, 13:33
Thank you. I will tell him to do so. I thought he just downloaded yesterday for the first time.

The support is extremely fast and responsive; Much appreciated.

EraserTX
November 28th, 2015, 05:06
I'm now having this problem; freshly installed through Steam, put in my full license key and username/password, and successfully updated 3.5 and 4 and part of 5 but am getting the following error:

I have tried the several things already mentioned - running the Updater as administrator, checked to see if there was a file partially saved, but no dice there.
I tried changing the program and data locations to see if that would fix the error but same thing - updates everything great until it gets to the same file, same location on the progress bar.

ddavison
November 28th, 2015, 05:17
Hello EraserTX, please email a screenshot of your FG Settings window to [email protected] and we can double check that there isn't something incorrect there. That error normally results from an incorrect license key or the license key entered into the incorrect location in your settings.

-Doug

ShadowSpirit
December 30th, 2015, 18:52
Encountered this problem today. License key was pasted into the wrong field.
tem
I would like to suggest updating the error message to be a bit more descriptive. Why couldn't it update? Lack of license or permissions issue on my system .... etc.

Cratylus
January 10th, 2016, 07:03
asdf

Zacchaeus
January 10th, 2016, 09:28
asdf

What?

damned
January 10th, 2016, 10:48
this: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?27398-PCs-do-not-save-!-!&p=248087&highlight=#post248087
posted it here and then moved it...