PDA

View Full Version : Can you edit the new theme Basic Rules 5e theme?

Vgamer
April 9th, 2015, 11:57
Can the new Basic Rules theme be edited? For example change the big red D&D letters in the middle to a nice image? I'm not crazy about that image, would like to erase it, if so, and If downloaded, what is it considered a .mod file? does it live in the modules folder? extensions folder? Ruleset Folder? What is the actual file called and where can it be found if downloaded. It would be a straight download, not from steam. Just want to know the path to the file to find it quickly, open it, edit the image and zip it back up.

Nylanfs
April 9th, 2015, 13:19
There's a walkthrough some where on how to make a new theame, it's fairly simple if I remember right.

Vgamer
April 9th, 2015, 13:41
No, I'm talking about the new 5e Theme that you buy from the store, you get it when you buy the 5e Basic Rules, not make my own. I would want to edit the background of that one, the one with the big red D&D letters smack dab in the middle., but just want to make sure ill be able to get to it. I heard people can't find the file that holds those images. Is it locked up tight somewhere where people can't get to it? A friend of mine that bought it told me he couldn't find the file in the modules folder, the extensions folder or the ruleset folder, but it was in his library inside FG and as an extension when he booted FG, So where the heck do the 5e basic rules with the new theme live when you download them? Where do they go?

damned
April 9th, 2015, 14:00
new 5e stuff is encrypted in a vault
you cannot unpack and edit this stuff - and if you did it would get overwritten each time it updates...

ianmward
April 9th, 2015, 14:02
I believe the new 5e modules an extensions are, indeed, locked away in an encrypted store to prevent piracy. I suspect that was a condition from Wizards.
You can still add a decal or extension to change the background. It is, afterall, based on CoreRPG. You just have to make sure the loadorder is right.

Vgamer
April 9th, 2015, 14:22
Well, thanks for the answers but they're kinda contradicting each other, basically I would want to buy the new basic rules and get the new theme, and also buy the LMOP module, then use the image from LMOP cover inside a circle for the background of the new theme, instead of those big red D&D letters. I think that would look much better for me. So one of you said I can do a work around for this with an extension? Or is it behind a vault and nothing will work, even an extension. Any Devs that worked on the packaging know this? Not sure how you could make an extension if you can't even target the background image...

Mask_of_winter
April 9th, 2015, 14:27
You could make your own extension (skin)but you can't access the skin you got from the basic rules. You could modify another skin or build one from scratch. So basically you can't change the decal you don't like but you can modify any extension not in the vault. Does that make more sense?

ddavison
April 9th, 2015, 14:45
Even better, we've already done that for you with our new Decal functionality. If you open your preferences for your campaign, there is an option to toggle the decal used. If you have the PHB, MM or LMOP modules, you get three new decals to cycle through.

New Decals are also supported by building out a new Decal extension. This was kind of a late edition to the rulesets, so we are a little behind on putting together the documentation and a walk-through on how to best make your own decal extensions.

Mask_of_winter
April 9th, 2015, 14:52
Even better, we've already done that for you with our new Decal functionality. If you open your preferences for your campaign, there is an option to toggle the decal used. If you have the PHB, MM or LMOP modules, you get three new decals to cycle through.

New Decals are also supported by building out a new Decal extension. This was kind of a late edition to the rulesets, so we are a little behind on putting together the documentation and a walk-through on how to best make your own decal extensions.

That's new! Never heard of that before. I like it Doug.

Vgamer
April 9th, 2015, 14:52
Ya, I'm following you, the new 5e stuff is untouchable, I can't change the decal if I bought the basic rules theme period, I'd have to make my own skin, but that just sounds like way to much graphics work for someone not graphically inclined.

To bad, I really wanted to buy that stuff because I like all of that theme except for the gigantic red D&D letters in the middle. Why not put the LMOP cover in a nice faded out ancient looking circle devs? Adventurers and a dragon, now that would be cool to look at while you play imo. I would definitely by that and for more money, Just a suggestion.

Vgamer
April 9th, 2015, 14:59
Oh wait, ok Doug, thanks for the decal extension info, how do I go about making my own decal and changing out the Basic Rules red letters? You said that documentation is coming? Any idea when? Maybe you could make one of your nice vids in the meantime to show us? :D

Griogre
April 9th, 2015, 16:58
I have the Basic D&D rules pack and I just wanted to make sure you didn't miss the part about being able to toggle through the decals. One the options is no decal at all and another is the SmiteWorks Wyvern - so if you are really being held back by the Red D&D letters you can cut them totally off.

If you would like another free option for 5E skins I converted some older skins I liked to be used with the 5E ruleset. You can download the extensions here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?20355-Alternative-Wood-and-Dungeon-Themes

ianmward
April 9th, 2015, 22:08
It is even better. If you load all of the deacal extensions, you can cycle through all of them, so you can choose the Wizards Theme with the Lost Mine Decal with no custom extension creation.

Great feature Doug.

ddavison
April 9th, 2015, 22:32
It is even better. If you load all of the deacal extensions, you can cycle through all of them, so you can choose the Wizards Theme with the Lost Mine Decal with no custom extension creation.

Great feature Doug.

I like to just throw random "wouldn't it be cool if..." scenarios out to the team and then let Moon_Wizard and Zeus hash out the best way to implement it. They haven't killed me for it yet, but I'm sure they want to at times. :D

ianmward
April 9th, 2015, 23:03
I just did some digging and created a minimalist 'Custom Decal' extension together. If you unzip it into your extensions folder you can just replace the image in the graphics/decals folder and voila! Alternatively you can use it as a base for your own by changing the names in the various files.
If someone can tell me how to put distribute it I'll be happy to do so.

Zeus
April 10th, 2015, 01:01
I like to just throw random "wouldn't it be cool if..." scenarios out to the team and then let Moon_Wizard and Zeus hash out the best way to implement it. They haven't killed me for it yet, but I'm sure they want to at times. :D

Yes, you certainly know how to challenge us at times, poor moon_wizard hasn't seen any daylight in months. You really must get some windows down here in the dev cave, the health and safety goblins will be onto us soon .... :)

Only joking of course, I can't speak for moon_wizard but I am enjoying it and its a pleasure to work with such a great team.

heavy3p0
April 11th, 2015, 00:52
If all you want to do is change the back ground image it should be a simple create an extension to use a custom image. There is a tutorial on creating them in the workshop and reverse engineering one from an existing one is pretty easy.

Vgamer
April 11th, 2015, 03:10
If all you want to do is change the back ground image it should be a simple create an extension to use a custom image. There is a tutorial on creating them in the workshop and reverse engineering one from an existing one is pretty easy.

In this case I don't think it is as simple as that, the new 5e files are locked in a vault somewhere where you can't get to them after purchase. How do you write an extension for something that is not physically there? I hope this wasn't a dumb question on my part, and for any old vets here on FG, please don't yell at me or put me down for being new, I just want to know how before I purchase, thanks.

Mask_of_winter
April 11th, 2015, 03:14
You can grab any theme from this page: https://www.fg-con.com/free-downloads/
Unzip it, change the background picture, zip it back up and you've got yourself a custom skin for FG.

Vgamer
April 11th, 2015, 04:00
Thanks, but Illl just wait until the new decal extension documentation comes out, as I like the looks of the new theme from the screenshots when you purchase the basic rules. Just would like to put in my own custom decal on the new theme.

Trenloe
April 11th, 2015, 04:03
Thanks, but Illl just wait until the new decal extension documentation comes out
Documentation available in the example extension here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?23617-Test-release-v3-0-12&p=205072&viewfull=1#post205072

heavy3p0
April 11th, 2015, 15:15
The Red D&D logo is one of the new decal files and can be toggled on of off from the options menu. I tested a theme i built to replace the desktop with the D&D theme at the same time and it functioned successfully. Also the Themes, rule set, and rule book modules all function independently of each other (well maybe not the rule set and rule book) so you can create any theme you want, use the 5E rules and load the PHB just fine.

Vgamer
April 11th, 2015, 15:43
I went to the link above that Trenloe posted, that is exactly what I was looking for, downloaded the decal extension and put it in the extensions folder. This is to add new decals to the new theme. I unzipped the extension and found the decals folder, and put in 4 new decals I love, then went to the xml file, also inside the folder, and it says I need to add code to include my new decals.

This is where I am stuck, I can't code a lick. Telling me to add a function and declare strings... So this is where I am waiting for the documentation from the illustrious and I am assuming very busy Moonwizard to to tell me what to write in there to include the new decals. A step by step for dummies would be awesome whenever possible. Thanks! :)

Trenloe
April 11th, 2015, 16:44
Some quick steps:

Decide what you're going to call each of the decals.
Move your decal image files to the graphics\decals directory within the extension.
For each of your decals copy/paste each of the red highlighted 3 lines once in the same location.

<base>
<!-- TODO - Change string name attribute to avoid overwriting strings from other custom decal extensions -->
<!-- TODO - Change string optino text -->
<!-- Custom theme option strings -->
<string name="option_val_DDCL_custom">Custom</string>

<!-- TODO - Change icon name attribute to avoid overwriting icons from other custom decal extensions -->
<!-- TODO - Change icon file attribute to point to the correct file within the extension -->
<!-- Custom theme textures -->
<icon name="desktopdecal_custom" file="graphics/decals/desktopdecal_custom.png" />

<!-- TODO - Change script name attribute to avoid overwriting scripts from other custom decal extensions -->
<!-- TODO - You can add multiple option values. You just need to define the string and icon to use for each one,
then call OptionsManager.addOptionValue with the correct values -->
<script name="DecalCustom">
function onInit()
OptionsManager.addOptionValue("DDCL", "option_val_DDCL_custom", "desktopdecal_custom", true);
end
</script>
</base>

Then, change each of the following values for each of the decals you're adding. Corresponding numbers indicate where you need to have matching values:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/39085830/Screenshots/Fantasy%20Grounds/Custom%20decal.jpg

The first line defines the new option that will be displayed within the campaign options for the decal - "1" is the FG reference that I have given it (option_val_DDCL_MyDecal1) that will be used later and the "My Decal 1" is what will be shown in the option list.

The second line references the actual decal graphic file (graphics/decals/desktopdecal_mydecal1.png) and it's FG reference (I called it "desktopdecal_mydecal1").

The third line (OptionsManager.addOptionValue) brings it all together: Number #1 links the decal you select from the campaign options, and number #2 links this option to the actual graphics file to use.

Vgamer
April 11th, 2015, 16:52
Wow, you are pretty Illustrious there Trenloe, that was sick :)