PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about getting Fantasy Grounds, have some questions.

YourSwordisMine
April 8th, 2015, 06:48
I didn't see a place to post this, so I am posting it here. Please move if need be, thanks.

Now with Fantasy Grounds getting the official D&D5e license I am considering buying into Fantasy Grounds.

What are the differences with the STEAM version? Can STEAM owners connect with non-STEAM owners?
A friend of mine (who would be one of my potential players) purchased FG back in 2007, but never did anything with it at the time. Does he need to repurchase in order to use the current version?
If I purchased the $40 version and the D&D5e modules, do my players (who possibly already own FG) need to have purchased the D&D modules as well? Or do I need to buy the Ultimate edition?

This is all I can think of right now. I'll post more when I think of them. Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions.

damned
April 8th, 2015, 07:19
I didn't see a place to post this, so I am posting it here. Please move if need be, thanks.

Now with Fantasy Grounds getting the official D&D5e license I am considering buying into Fantasy Grounds.

What are the differences with the STEAM version? Can STEAM owners connect with non-STEAM owners?

Steam is just another avenue to buy the product. There are no material differences between the product other than the delivery of the product and updates.

A friend of mine (who would be one of my potential players) purchased FG back in 2007, but never did anything with it at the time. Does he need to repurchase in order to use the current version?

So long as he still has his key he can upgrade for free to the current version! Awesome huh!

If I purchased the $40 version and the D&D5e modules, do my players (who possibly already own FG) need to have purchased the D&D modules as well? Or do I need to buy the Ultimate edition?

If you use the $40 version all your players also need the $40 version (or the $4/month sub) to connect to your games.
If you are the DM and you have XYZ 5e products your players will have access to whatever you share with them (eg dont share MM!) while they are connected to you. Once offline they would not have access to that content but you would.

This is all I can think of right now. I'll post more when I think of them. Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions.

Your welcome :)

https://www.fg-con.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/fg-con-6-150-12.jpg (https://www.fg-con.com/events/)
FG Con 6 – April 17-19th 2015 - register at www.fg-con.com (https://www.fg-con.com/) for all the latest info.

JohnD
April 8th, 2015, 07:20

I'm on a tablet, so others will likely be more verbose.

Steam version and what you get here are the same. Both connect to each other fine. Some say if you use a Mac you should buy via Steam, but I don't know anything more as to why.

Your friend should be fine if he has the code, but that is a guess on my part; certainly there are people using FG just fine now who have owned it since then.

If you get Full license plus the 5e modules, your players will need to also buy the $40 version, but you as DM can share the 5e content with them when they are connected to you; when not connected, they will not have the content unless they buy the modules themselves.

If you buy Ultimate, your friends don't need to buy the software, but if your group rotates DMs, you are better off getting the Full license for everyone across the group.

FG is amazing and the community is as well. The developers are quite responsive and gamers themselves who use their own product. You will not regret taking the plunge.

YourSwordisMine
April 8th, 2015, 07:34
Thanks guys!

Just in case, can my friend recover his license if he no longer has it? I know he had a hard drive failure in 2010, so it might have lost it then...

This is why I'll probably buy it from STEAM lol! Keeps things like that for me.

One other question. My friend and his wife will be playing, but they only have one computer they share between them. If he owns a copy of FG, can they both control their characters from the single client? Or do both of them require their own clients on separate computers?

JohnD
April 8th, 2015, 07:37
One client on same computer works fine. Steam has a buy three get four deal I believe.

YourSwordisMine
April 8th, 2015, 07:38
so you can control multiple characters from a single player client?

JohnD
April 8th, 2015, 07:42
so you can control multiple characters from a single player client?

That is correct. You switch between them by clicking the portrait on the table top, upper left corner.

YourSwordisMine
April 8th, 2015, 10:43
How easy is it to find games here?

I'm disabled and unable to get out as much as I like. Finding other sources for gaming is a big draw, but I am unfamiliar with virtual tabletop experience.

damned
April 8th, 2015, 11:01
Hola YourSwordIsMine.
You will rarely find pickup or dropin games here. You will find PFS One Shots and occasional other oneshots.
Finding a group might take you 1 day or several weeks depending on your availability and flexibility and ruleset and genre choices.
Finding the right group might take more than one go but that is pretty normal.

What you will find here is an awesome friendly community who are very helpful and collaborative.

The best way to find games is to make a post introducing yourself and the other info above and then use the New Posts link at the top left every day or two and express your interest in whatever games are posted that might suit you. We have about 10 games with seats available at FG Con 6 which is totally free and the great guys over at https://extraordinarygamers.com/ run lots of stuff - mostly Savage Worlds based but other stuff too.

https://www.fg-con.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/fg-con-6-150-12.jpg (https://www.fg-con.com/events/)
FG Con 6 – April 17-19th 2015 - register at www.fg-con.com (https://www.fg-con.com/) for all the latest info.

Valarian
April 8th, 2015, 11:06
Getting players for a game is easier than finding a GM with an open slot. As with face to face games, players outnumber the GMs running games. FGCon on the weekend after next (17th to 19th April) is a good time to jump in and get the VTT experience. All player connections that weekend will be free, whether the GM has a full or ultimate licence.

Your friend who already has a licence should be able to recover it, either by logging on to the website here and looking in his order history (Store tab) or by sending an email to the support email address on the FAQ, quoting the email address he used to order the licence.