PDA

View Full Version : FG and 5E

GMNewb
April 7th, 2015, 21:10
I am a new GM looking at using FG for 5e currently using roll20. Let me start by saying FG appears to be a much better product worth paying for. I was wondering what exactly is included in the core set you would receive with ult license? Does it include the races, classes, spells and equipment or does it have to be manually added? Are modules only purchased once for all players?

Trenloe
April 7th, 2015, 21:31
A similar question was asked earlier today and I answered here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?23637-PC-races-in-official-5E-modules&p=205357&viewfull=1#post205357

The players share the GMs content when they are connected to the GM, and they also have access to their own content if the GM allows them to access it. When they're not connected to the GM they only have access to their own purchased content.

GMNewb
April 7th, 2015, 21:48
So would I need to figure out the Par5E to include items and spells, does it come with the basic rules, or do I need to purchase the players handbook to have them included?

Trenloe
April 7th, 2015, 21:56
So would I need to figure out the Par5E to include items and spells, does it come with the basic rules, or do I need to purchase the players handbook to have them included?
If you purchase the PHB ("D&D Complete Core Class Pack") from the store then you'll get all of the spells, classes, races, etc., etc. from the PHB. If you purchase the basic rules, you'll get the content of the D&D basic rules PDF.

If you want specific class spells, then you can purchase the specific class module - plus the "D&D Character Customization Pack" which includes the extra stuff you need to complete a character - races, equipment, etc..

If you don't want to buy them you can still use PAR5E, but this requires you to extract all of the info from your D&D books yourself, work out the syntax and go through a few iterations to get it right. This will take you many hours of work.

ddavison
April 7th, 2015, 21:57
The D&D Basic Rules module has 120 spells and items listed from the basic rules PDF. It won't have all the spells from the other classes. You would need the D&D Complete Core Class Pack for that or the individual spellcaster classes.

GMNewb
April 7th, 2015, 22:17
Thanks ddavison and Trenloe. That explains it for me.

Mavrik6666
April 8th, 2015, 16:11
HI guys in a similar vein myself.. use a competing product, and planning to switch... but want to know if the official content delivers spell usage, damage, saves, monster attacks etc etc or is it mostly fluff - Would be good to see some video's of usage, or a combat in 5e to go with the launch of the new stuff - But looking good so far

DrakosDJ
April 8th, 2015, 16:26
There are a lot of video's on YouTube of people using FG to run 5e. They predate the official release of the D&D 5e content but the functionality is still there, the main difference is that the official ruleset for D&D 5e is likely more polished.

The base ruleset handles a lot of rules automation such as attacking, saves, applying damage etc... I won't lie, it will have a learning curve initially to get used to the product and there are still a lot of places that will require manual manipulation, but FG beats anything else I've seen so far.

The Scriven One
April 9th, 2015, 20:51
As for magic items, as mentioned, there are two options for now- entering them manually via the Items button, or Parsing them from the DMG. It took me, a non-coder, about 2 days and a lot of questions to parse my copy of the "DMG", which so far only contains items and any randomized tables they call for.

Side note, rolling on The Deck of Many Things table is awesome. There's even an extension called Basic Card Tables (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?23099-Basic-Card-Tables-Extensions)that lets you remove drawn cards/random results when appropriate.

Xorn
April 10th, 2015, 16:20
I'm very comfortable with PAR5E, and made my own PDFs of the books on a very nice multi-function printer at work, with fantastic OCR. I made the video tutorials for PAR5E, and I've made modules for the PHB, MM, DMG, and all the adventures, plus Expeditions (I DM for AL). I'm the best-case scenario for making your own modules, really. Despite all this, I'd probably have bought the licensed modules instead were it an option. Would have freed up a lot of time and energy!

Heck, I'm still thinking about getting them as a birthday present.