PDA

View Full Version : Face-to-Face + Remote: How Do I?

scottaroberts
April 7th, 2015, 20:23
Hello,

Here's my situation: I run a tabletop Encounters session at my store. Some of my players travel, and so I am going to be picking up FG to run Encounters for them remotely, *alongside* those who are at the table.

I have the following basic setup:
* Large-screen TV for the players to view from the table hooked up to a laptop (A)
* GM laptop (B)
* Laptop to sit at a space at the table with voice/video chat setup (C)

What I'd *like* to do, and what I've seen with roll20 (but am new to FG and thus am curious if I *can* do this), is the following:
* Run the server on (B)
* Display a (demo?) FG setup running on (A) so that the whole table can see it
* Also allow the remote players to login to (B)

Questions:
* Can I do it? If so...
* Is this doable with a single Ultimate License and a demo license for the remote PCs and/or the large-screen TV PC?
* Can demo-license users upload character sheets that are stored on my DM computer?

Thanks for any help, answers and suggestions.

Trenloe
April 7th, 2015, 20:38
If you have a single ultimate licence then you can have any number of demo (Free) licence users connect - so you can have your one local "player" displaying on the large tv and connected to the GM on their laptop, and any number of remote players connecting into the GM. They'll all have access to the same info as a player and will be in the same session.

Demo licence holders can use "Manage characters" to create their PCs before the game and upload them to the GM when they connect, or they can use Manage Characters after the game to review/download the PC they used when connected to the GM's campaign.

scottaroberts
April 7th, 2015, 20:48
As the DM, can I:
* Enter character sheets for the tabletop/non-remote players on my copy?
* Move their tokens for them on the map?

Can free (or regular) users logged into my server make use of tools that I have on my ultimate license while connected to my server? E.g.: Let's say I have bought all the 5E books; can free users look at reference materials/monster art/character spell descriptions/etc?

Trenloe
April 7th, 2015, 20:52
As the DM, can I:
* Enter character sheets for the tabletop/non-remote players on my copy?
* Move their tokens for them on the map?
Yes and yes. As GM you can do everything that the players can do and, of course, a lot more.

Can free (or regular) users logged into my server make use of tools that I have on my ultimate license while connected to my server? E.g.: Let's say I have bought all the 5E books; can free users look at reference materials/monster art/character spell descriptions/etc?
Players have access to the GM's campaign information (modules) while they are connected to the GMs computer if the GM enables the modules and allows the players access to those modules. This is done on a campaign by campaign basis, so you can allow access to certain materials in one campaign, but not in another. Module activation info here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Library

Ferrin
April 7th, 2015, 21:40
sweet I am not the one that asked but this is still good to know.

scottaroberts
April 8th, 2015, 01:57
Is it possible to print out character sheets made in Fantasy Grounds? I couldn't find an option.

Nylanfs
April 8th, 2015, 02:11
Not really, I would recommend using a fillable PDf

Trenloe
April 8th, 2015, 02:53
Is it possible to print out character sheets made in Fantasy Grounds? I couldn't find an option.
There have been some community work done for a couple of rulesets to take the character XML and put it through a XML stylesheet to create an HTML page that you could print out. But, there is no printing of character sheets natively in Fantasy Grounds.

scottaroberts
April 8th, 2015, 02:56
You can export characters to XML files?

Trenloe
April 8th, 2015, 02:58
You can export characters to XML files?
Yep, see "GM Actions" here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Character_Management Export a Character exports to XML and Import a Character imports from a previously exported XML. The player can do this as well in their manage characters functionality.

As a GM you can also export most of the "stuff" you've created in your campaign for use elsewhere or as a backup of stuff you're going to prune out of your campaign: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Library#Module_Export