PDA

View Full Version : 5E Player Effect Removal Extension

Trenloe
March 29th, 2015, 17:03
Based off a suggestion from Skellan (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?23521-Looking-for-assistance-with-5e-projects&p=204519&viewfull=1#post204519) I've modified the 3.5E effect removal extension to work with 5E. This extension allows players to remove effects that have already been placed on creatures (PCs or NPCs) in the combat tracker.

This version of the extension is no longer compatible - do not use the extension in this thread!

Download the v2.x extension from here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?40289-5E-Player-Effect-Removal-Extension

NOTE: This is now compatible with v0.3 of the Effect Targeting extension (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?24573-Effect-Targeting-Enhancement-(Extension)) - you can now run both together. Thanks TASagent.

v1.1.5 -Compatibility update for FG v3.2.0. November 1st, 2016.
v1.1.4 -Compatibility update for FG v3.1.4. November 29th, 2015.
v1.1.2 -Compatibility update for FG v3.1.2. August 6th, 2015.
v1.1 -Update for FG v3.1.0. June 1st, 2015.
v1.0 - first release. 29th March, 2015.

Installation
The GM has to do the following to install and activate this extension:

Download the 5E Remove Effect Tag.ext attachment at the bottom of this post
Follow the instructions to install an extension found here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Data_Files_Overview#Extensions
On the "Load Campaign" screen for a 5E campaign select the "Remove Effect Tag" extension.

Brief how to use
When you have created an effect against a power in the character sheet, copy the exact text of the effect and create another effect in the same power. Use the exact same text as the effect you want to remove and put REMOVE: in front of the effect.

For example, if you have an effect: ATK:1; DMG:1 create the removal effect as: REMOVE: ATK: 1; DMG: 1

The format of the remove effect must 100% match the format of the base effect as displayed in the combat tracker. FG can reformat the effect (e.g. adding a space after a colon ":" ) - so try adding the base effect to the combat tracker to see exactly the format you'll need to use for the removal effect.

Further documentation to follow - but you can look at the 3.5E thread for more info. The screenshots are different, but the format of the remove effect is the same (put REMOVE: at the beginning of the effect).

Info on the 3.5E extension here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?21546-Player-Effect-Removal-Extension

Previous version downloads: 309

Trenloe
March 29th, 2015, 17:05
Placeholder

Thegroo
March 29th, 2015, 18:05
Thank you very much

Tel Arin
May 10th, 2015, 13:50
Really Useful! thank you so much!

Trenloe
June 2nd, 2015, 03:04
Updated compatibility for FG v3.1.0 - download v1.1 from post #1.

Zacchaeus
June 2nd, 2015, 12:04
Updated compatibility for FG v3.1.0 - download v1.1 from post #1.

I have noticed in FG 3.1.0 that in the GM options menu there is an option 'players can remove effects'. Is this your extension that's causing this, and if so does that mean that you don't have to have any REMOVE: effects?

Trenloe
June 2nd, 2015, 13:51
I have noticed in FG 3.1.0 that in the GM options menu there is an option 'players can remove effects'. Is this your extension that's causing this, and if so does that mean that you don't have to have any REMOVE: effects?
Yes, this is an option added by the extension, it's not a new option. This just allows the GM to disable players using REMOVE: if they so desire, leaving the extension as purely a GM tool. It is set to allow the players to be able to use REMOVE: by default.

Zacchaeus
June 2nd, 2015, 22:37
Yes, this is an option added by the extension, it's not a new option. This just allows the GM to disable players using REMOVE: if they so desire, leaving the extension as purely a GM tool. It is set to allow the players to be able to use REMOVE: by default.

Ah, jolly good. Well played young man.

Trenloe
August 6th, 2015, 22:19
v1.1.2 update released (download in post #1).

This is a compatibility release for FG v3.1.2 - please update to this version for full compatibility. The new conditional effects (type, align, size and custom) won't work unless you update to this new extension version.

Thegroo
August 7th, 2015, 00:31
Thank you for the upgrade

Trenloe
November 29th, 2015, 17:25
Updated to be FG v3.1.4 compatible - please use new file from post #1.

poppy_thompson
December 11th, 2015, 12:33
Is this extension still needed? I noticed the Options list the ability to allow players to remove effects. If this is now native to the FG software without the extension, does it operate the same way?

Zacchaeus
December 11th, 2015, 13:08
Is this extension still needed? I noticed the Options list the ability to allow players to remove effects. If this is now native to the FG software without the extension, does it operate the same way?

I believe this option only appears if you have the extension (I don't see it on my options and I don't have the extension loaded). See posts #6 and #7 above which I believe answers your question.

poppy_thompson
December 11th, 2015, 22:18
I think I'm going crazy. I could have swore I read it somewhere. I didn't even think about unloading it and checking to see if the option was still there. I only tired to figure out why it didn't work. This is a lesson to us all. Sleep is important.

Zacchaeus
December 11th, 2015, 22:20
I think I'm going crazy. I could have swore I read it somewhere. I didn't even think about unloading it and checking to see if the option was still there. I only tired to figure out why it didn't work. This is a lesson to us all. Sleep is important.

Yes, indeed :)

Nylanfs
December 12th, 2015, 02:19
Sleep if for those that can't handle the sparkly pink unicorns and talking purple mushrooms.

Hecklerus Prime
December 28th, 2015, 04:03
This is brilliant. We've been looking for something like this for some time. Thank you, Trenloe.

Morphiston
January 18th, 2016, 10:52
My group and I have just started using Fantasy grounds so I apologize if this has been raised elsewhere or not but im trying to create an effect for chill touch that allows it to stop the target from gaining hp for 1 round. Thought this would be useful to stop regen but how can I add it without knowing the exact ability. Cant it be set to REMOVE:REGEN:* or something to allow it to cancel all text that follows?

Zacchaeus
January 18th, 2016, 11:52
Hi Morphiston, welcome to FG and to the community.

There isn't an effect that you can create which would stop a creature from regenerating hit points. The extension here is written to allow players to remove effects on the Combat Tracker that have been placed on them; by default only the DM can add and remove effects but some players (and DMs) wanted to be able for the players to remove the effect and this is what Trenloe's extension does. To use it (I believe - I have never used it myself) you need to create a duplicate of the effect that the DM has written with the word REMOVE: in front of it. So it will only work with effects which have been created by the DM.

Trenloe
January 18th, 2016, 13:23
So it will only work with effects which have been created by the DM.
Players can create effects and apply them, this extension allows the player to create another effect with REMOVE: at the beginning that removes the effect with the text after the REMOVE: tag.

It isn't limited to effects created by the GM. REMOVE: entries could easily be added to any of the complete effects packages, for example.

Morphiston
January 18th, 2016, 13:26
Thanks for the reply. Its good to know i haven't just spent 5 hours searching posts and an ungodly amount of trial and error to achieve something simple as it instead simply cant be done... Though slightly saddening to know this is not a possible feature. I was assuming it could be as simple as setting effect IMMUNE: REGEN or something and i was just not seeing it. Though you mention 'you need to create a duplicate of the effect that the DM has written with the word REMOVE: in front of it. So it will only work with effects which have been created by the DM' but it works with a monster straight out of the beastiary (tested on troll) with no DM editing or creating effects on the creature. Not sure if this is different to what you meant or if I'm getting lost in wording and have been staring at screens too long.

But thanks heaps because I have found many of your posts and information of great help to me!

Zacchaeus
January 18th, 2016, 13:43
Though you mention 'you need to create a duplicate of the effect that the DM has written with the word REMOVE: in front of it. So it will only work with effects which have been created by the DM' but it works with a monster straight out of the beastiary (tested on troll) with no DM editing or creating effects on the creature. Not sure if this is different to what you meant or if I'm getting lost in wording and have been staring at screens too long.

This will come from my imperfect understanding of how this extension works; since, as I said, I haven't used it. From my reading of it I thought it only worked the way I mentioned but if it also works on NPCs too then that's jolly good. Although I'd be careful that the players don't remove effects from NPCs that they shouldn't. :)

Trenloe
January 18th, 2016, 15:00
The effect removal extension is fairly straightforward in it's operation. When the player (or GM) clicks a REMOVE: effect FG will use the targeting currently setup (self, target, etc.) and check those targets for an effect in the combat tracker that matches the string *after* the REMOVE: code. If it exists, the effect will be removed.

Trenloe
February 16th, 2016, 01:03
Checked compatibility with the recent FG 3.1.6 release. The extension should still be compatible. Hurray! :)

Kempest
March 2nd, 2016, 17:41
link to the wiki is broken :(
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/i...iew#Extensions

btw: great job

Zacchaeus
March 2nd, 2016, 17:56

btw: great job

It's working for me. Is this the link in the first post to 'how to install extensions' that you are talking about?

Trenloe
March 2nd, 2016, 19:21
Don't copy the link as it is shown in the thread (i.e. don't highlight and press CTRL+C) as the full link is not shown - notice the ... in the middle? Either left-click on the link to use it, or right-click -> copy-link if you want to copy the whole link.

Kempest
March 2nd, 2016, 21:28
ah thanks!!

Monkn
July 23rd, 2016, 19:30
ok so I have this ext downloaded and installed in I hope in the right spot. Though I can not get this to work.

LordEntrails
July 23rd, 2016, 23:24
ok so I have this ext downloaded and installed in I hope in the right spot. Though I can not get this to work.

How do you mean it doesn't work? Does it give an error on loading? Can you select it to load when starting your campaign? When a player creates a removal effect it doesn't remove the effect?

Smoltok
August 29th, 2016, 20:48
Hi,

Sorry but I didn't succeed in using this extension.

Remove is not working. I use the correct sentence, the extension is loaded, the remove button is here too

Any idea ?

Trenloe
August 29th, 2016, 21:02
Hi,

Sorry but I didn't succeed in using this extension.

Remove is not working. I use the correct sentence, the extension is loaded, the remove button is here too

Any idea ?
I'm guessing that the effect applied to the target is not matching the remove syntax - or you're not targeting the entry in the combat tracker that has the effect applied.

Look in the chat window for any feedback from the extension when you click the remove button.

Can you show a screenshot of how you've set this up - the remove effect code, the effect on the target in the combat tracker and the chat window after you've clicked the remove effect button.

Gwydion
August 30th, 2016, 23:45
I'm guessing that the effect applied to the target is not matching the remove syntax - or you're not targeting the entry in the combat tracker that has the effect applied.

Look in the chat window for any feedback from the extension when you click the remove button.

Can you show a screenshot of how you've set this up - the remove effect code, the effect on the target in the combat tracker and the chat window after you've clicked the remove effect button.

I know I have had the ctvisibility extension loaded and the player effect removal extension loaded at the same time and I believe you can only have one of them loaded at a time as has been reported. If I recall correctly once I removed the ctvisibility extension the removal syntax worked fine for me.

Smoltok
September 1st, 2016, 20:39

HI,

The problem has been resolved because I have these issue too :

I know I have had the ctvisibility extension loaded and the player effect removal extension loaded at the same time and I believe you can only have one of them loaded at a time as has been reported. If I recall correctly once I removed the ctvisibility extension the removal syntax worked fine for me.

Trenloe
November 2nd, 2016, 01:59
Update to v1.1.5 for FG v3.2.0 compatibility.

Gwydion
November 2nd, 2016, 02:51
Update to v1.1.5 for FG v3.2.0 compatibility.

Woot! Thanks, Trenloe!

MarauderNET
December 6th, 2016, 16:44
In my testing it looks like this also works fine with version 3.2.1.

Nylanfs
December 6th, 2016, 19:38
Welcome to the forums and FG community Marauder!

MarauderNET
December 6th, 2016, 19:47
Welcome to the forums and FG community Marauder!

Thanks very much.

Fantell
February 7th, 2017, 01:00
hey, uh, I don't suppose you can fix this to work with fantasy grounds 3.2.3? though i'm pretty sure it broke at 3.2.2, so, its been a while since my players could manage their buffs without me having to waste time sorting it out
don't get me wrong, love this script. so much in fact that not having it now makes me want to kind of stop using fantasy grounds....

Trenloe
February 7th, 2017, 01:05
hey, uh, I don't suppose you can fix this to work with fantasy grounds 3.2.3?
Let me check, it's the first report I've had of there being an issue...

Trenloe
February 7th, 2017, 01:09
hey, uh, I don't suppose you can fix this to work with fantasy grounds 3.2.3? though i'm pretty sure it broke at 3.2.2, so, its been a while since my players could manage their buffs without me having to waste time sorting it out

I've just reviewed the code and there is no change in the 5E files used in v1.1.5 of the extension and the latest version of the 5E ruleset. So this should be compatible.

Are you running v1.1.5 of the extensions? The version is reported in the chat window. If you are running v1.1.5 could you please describe the issue/s you're seeing?

MarauderNET
February 7th, 2017, 02:37
I may be doing something different and haven't tested extensively, but it seems to work for me with 3.2.3 (and also did with 3.2.2). I may not be doing the same thing, though.

Version: 17796
Before Effect: 17797
Effect Applied: 17798
Effect Removed: 17799

Trenloe
February 7th, 2017, 02:44
I may be doing something different and haven't tested extensively, but it seems to work for me with 3.2.3 (and also did with 3.2.2). I may not be doing the same thing, though.

Version: 17796
Before Effect: 17797
Effect Applied: 17798
Effect Removed: 17799
Thanks for testing MarauderNET that's what I'm seeing as well. The key things there are the version numbers in the chat window: v3.2.2 for CoreRPG and 5E and v1.1.5 for the extension - these are all the correct versions. Thanks for checking! :)

Trenloe
April 15th, 2017, 01:09
This extension is compatible with FG v3.3.0 released yesterday. No need to update (as long as you're running v1.1.5 that was released November 2016).

MarauderNET
April 15th, 2017, 01:44
Thanks for the 3.3.0 compatibility confirmation.

ll00ll00ll00ll
July 15th, 2017, 20:44
v3.3.2 (5E ruleset) seems to have broken this. Here is the error I receive:

Script Error: [string "scripts/manager_effect_5E.lua"]:7: attempt to call field 'registerEffectVar' (a nil value)

Trenloe
July 15th, 2017, 21:18
v3.3.2 (5E ruleset) seems to have broken this. Here is the error I receive:

Script Error: [string "scripts/manager_effect_5E.lua"]:7: attempt to call field 'registerEffectVar' (a nil value)
Thanks for the heads up. I'll keep that in mind to update when v3.3.2 moves to lives.

Zacchaeus
July 15th, 2017, 22:20
Hasn't effect removal been incorporated into v3.2.2?

[CoreRPG+] Effects can be turned on/off or removed by the user who added the effect from within the player combat tracker.

Or is this something else - I haven't had much of a chance to look at most of the new stuff.

Trenloe
July 15th, 2017, 22:50
I haven't looked at it either. But I'd planned on doing one final version so that people's current PCs with REMOVE: effects would still work. And allow them to migrate to the new functionality, but sill have the extension support, for one final version.

Skellan
July 15th, 2017, 22:59
It is nice to see that this extension is getting incorporated as a core feature. I guess it will be one less thing you'll need to keep updating :D

rob2e
July 16th, 2017, 01:02
That ^^

Nickademus
July 16th, 2017, 06:01
From what I understand, it is not getting incorporated. The Combat Tracker will now have the UI for a player to remove and change the target of an effect. But you will not be able to hotbar anything to make the removal a single click. At least that is what the release notes sound like.

ll00ll00ll00ll
July 17th, 2017, 01:02
The 3.3.2 implementation of this works wonderfully. It's nice that any effects that were added by the user are available to turn off, however any assigned by the DM are not. This is a nice upgrade. Nice work!

Nickademus
July 17th, 2017, 02:10
Where do the players access the UI to turn the effects off?

Moon Wizard
July 17th, 2017, 02:11
It's directly on the player combat tracker, and has a similar interface to the GM effect management.

JPG

Nickademus
July 17th, 2017, 02:17
So nothing that can be hotbarred. I'll still use the extension since I don't have the Combat Tracker open as a player.

SheckyS
August 6th, 2017, 03:25
I'd love to get this extension, but for the life of me, I can't figure out how to download it. At the bottom of the main post it says " Attached Files", but it's not a link.

Nickademus
August 6th, 2017, 04:50
Chances are you are looking at a snapshot of the thread instead of the thread. Try removing the 'https://' from the url.

SheckyS
August 6th, 2017, 18:38
Chances are you are looking at a snapshot of the thread instead of the thread. Try removing the 'https://' from the url.

That was it. Thanks. :)

Nickademus
September 23rd, 2017, 07:29
This extension has been modified and updated for FG v.3.2.2. You can get it here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?40289-5E-Player-Effect-Removal-Extension&p=356033#post356033).

rob2e
September 23rd, 2017, 09:16
This extension is no longer needed as it is part of 3.3.2 now.

Zacchaeus
September 23rd, 2017, 12:06
This extension is no longer needed as it is part of 3.3.2 now.

Well there are those that would disagree judging by a few forum posts on the subject :)

What this extension does is allow players to remove effects that the built in removal doesn't allow, and also allows them to do so from their character sheet rather than from the CT. So it basically gives the DM and players another option.

meathome
September 23rd, 2017, 12:25
I too would like the old functionality back I made a lot off toggle effects for my palyers with this extension. My players usually dont even open the combat tracker. they have the actions tab on their character sheets open. and use the action buttons there. It would be even better if the original functionality of this extension could be integrated.

Many thanks for the original idea and execution of this extension by the way!

MarauderNET
September 23rd, 2017, 13:09
Thanks for the update.

rob2e
September 23rd, 2017, 18:08
The only effects that can’t be removed are ones applied in campaigns before the 3.3.2 update. Those can be removed (by DM) and reapplied. Then it will work.

Also who plays WITHOUT the CT open? Ridiculous! Bad form! Preposterous! Ha ha

Nickademus
September 23rd, 2017, 18:11
Apparently all the players that have asked for the character sheet buttons back. (And for the record, the FG functionality only allows the removal of effects owned by THAT player.)

rob2e
September 23rd, 2017, 18:28
Apparently all the players that have asked for the character sheet buttons back. (And for the record, the FG functionality only allows the removal of effects owned by THAT player.)

Maybe I'm totally missing something, but under what circumstance would a player who didn't apply the effect need to remove it (besides the DM)?

Zacchaeus
September 23rd, 2017, 18:33
Maybe I'm totally missing something, but under what circumstance would a player who didn't apply the effect need to remove it (besides the DM)?

Well, if player 1 casts invisibility on player 2, the FG client will only allow player 1 to remove it. However player 2 might want to remove it himself. And I assume that this extension allows that; someone on the Discord channel filled me in on all of this the other night.

rob2e
September 23rd, 2017, 18:41
Well, if player 1 casts invisibility on player 2, the FG client will only allow player 1 to remove it. However player 2 might want to remove it himself. And I assume that this extension allows that; someone on the Discord channel filled me in on all of this the other night.

Ah. Very true, but assumedly the original caster would be a RESPONSIBLE player and effects user and would be the one to keep track. I have a saying at my table... "We all paid a lot of money for this FANTASTIC VTT. Learn how to use it." Actually, I don't have that saying at my table UNTIL NOW!!!! Ha

But I absolutely loved the REMOVE EXTENSION, and I nearly cried (with joy) when FG incorporated that tech. The more the players can do and the less the DM has to do, the better. I just haven't personally seen the use (yet) for the original extension. I guess others do.

spite
September 23rd, 2017, 22:26
Another big one is standing up from prone. Players can't do that if they were knocked down, but can if they set up a "stand up" button.

Slalom
September 24th, 2017, 11:04
Will this ext update to be comp with 3.3.2? I know that the new FG gives the option to PC to remove effects but it's so easyer with Effect Removal Ext .

Zacchaeus
September 24th, 2017, 11:44
See here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?40289-5E-Player-Effect-Removal-Extension).

Slalom
September 24th, 2017, 12:45
See here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?40289-5E-Player-Effect-Removal-Extension).

Thank you Zacchaeus!

Nylanfs
September 25th, 2017, 14:18
RESPONSIBLE player

Responsible. Player. ? I don't understand those words together. :) :D

spite
September 25th, 2017, 18:30
I have responsible players.
Every time something goes tits-up, my players are responsible.

rob2e
September 25th, 2017, 19:55
Responsible. Player. ? I don't understand those words together. :) :D

LMAO!!!! All mine are, after my extensive "please use the software as intended" seminars. I'm a hard DM (regarding the use of FG) but once my players get used to me, we can FLY through encounters.