PDA

View Full Version : Can I host a FG server on a Linux box?

bluedreamer
March 29th, 2015, 04:52
We play - we kill monster - we all love it

But the DM is always hosting from the Win box somewhere

I have a linux box on the real web - is it possible for me to make that the FG server with the various campaigns we play so it is up all the time for people to mod their stuff on their time.

Our biggest issue is that DM cannot get server up because of X or doesn't want too - until near game time. I was wondering if I could host it on a 100% uptime box for everyone - but still keep the player/DM separation.

damned
March 29th, 2015, 05:34
Not really.
You can run the server up on a WineSkin on Linux.
You can leave it up all day and night - but the GM needs to use that instance to run the game...
You could do it from a Windows VPS that you leave on all the time and the GM can RDP in to run it - so long as it has sufficient video.

ianmward
March 29th, 2015, 13:00
You could, perhaps, have the server running, as Damned said, in Wine, then shut it down, copy the campaign to the GM's box for the session, then sync it back up and rerun the linux server after the session.
You could use something like google drive to sync the files.

damned
March 29th, 2015, 13:02
You could, perhaps, have the server running, as Damned said, in Wine, then shut it down, copy the campaign to the GM's box for the session, then sync it back up and rerun the linux server after the session.
You could use something like google drive to sync the files.

But dont have the LIVE data stored in google drive (or other cloud sync app)...

bluedreamer
March 30th, 2015, 02:28
Thanks people, sounds like it is more work than the benefit of it. I can see more things going wrong than going right.