PDA

View Full Version : New Skill tags

Zacchaeus
March 27th, 2015, 20:11
I go off for a week's holiday and come back to find that that inestimable chap Moon Wizard has added some new effect tags to Fantasy Grounds. I immediately d/l the new version and try them out and find ... I can't get them to work.

Now I can't believe that the inestimable Moon Wizard is simply teasing me with false information and it's too early for April Fools day, so I have concluded that either they don't work or I am missing something vitally important (or so obvious that I can't see it).

As far as I can tell these new tags should work like any other effect tag in the Combat Tracker. Thus "ADVSKILL: perception" should give the creature advantage on any perception roll or (as he posted in another post below) "SKILL: 5 perception" should give the creature a +5 to their perception roll.

So, in order to preserve my sanity, can some of you good chaps let me know if this is the correct syntax and intended effect or am I missing the point (or doing something incredibly stupid)?

Trenloe
March 27th, 2015, 21:14
SKILL: 5 perception and ADVSKILL: perception work for me.

Treegreen
March 27th, 2015, 21:15
SKILL: 5 perception works for me.

Can confirm. Both SKILL: 5 perception and ADVSKILL: perception work for me. To be clear, I added the effects in the combat tracker then rolled perception from a player's character sheet.

UPDATE: works for NPCs as well - as long as they have the skill you're granting a bonus or advantage listed under the skill section of the monster/npc sheet. If they don't, you need to add it (e.g. stealth +0) and then roll from the sheet like normal.

Trenloe
March 27th, 2015, 21:22
If you're rolling this for an NPC, make sure to roll it from the sheet opened in the combat tracker from the specific NPC record the effect is assigned to, otherwise the effect won't be linked to the sheet you're rolling from.

Zacchaeus
March 27th, 2015, 22:08
Hmm, ok that is weird then.

I, too, am rolling from a PC. Just as Treegreen says above. I hadn't tried using it on an NPC but I have now and that doesn't work either.

Now, I have checked the version and on the client launcher screen it tells me the version is indeed 3.0.11 but in the text box when I load a module FG tells me that the 5e ruleset version is 3.0.10. Could this be the problem? I generally run the test version in settings but changing that doesn't force any further update and when I log in via the settings screen that doesn't seem to do anything either. It's a mystery.

Trenloe
March 27th, 2015, 22:25
Now, I have checked the version and on the client launcher screen it tells me the version is indeed 3.0.11 but in the text box when I load a module FG tells me that the 5e ruleset version is 3.0.10. Could this be the problem?
Yes, this is exactly the problem. The new effects code is within the 3.0.11 5E ruleset, not within the base application.

Check your <FG App Data>\rulesets directory for a 5E directory and delete that and load up FG again and see if it shows the ruleset version as 3.0.11.

Zacchaeus
March 27th, 2015, 22:44
Superb work, Trenloe. It was the .pak file I needed to delete and then restart the client. Working fine now.

Thanks again to everyone who replied.