PDA

View Full Version : Looking for assistance with 5e projects

spoofer
March 25th, 2015, 13:33
Hi all,

I have three projects in the works, at various stages of completion. I sure would like someone to help with the polishing (i.e., checking against the rules, fixing typos) and with the creative part to make something awesome even better.

They are:

1. A 5e version of the critical hits and fumbles tables. I adopted the 4e version by first taking out the instant death stuff, and second updating all of the effects to be more in line with 5e. For example, I added results that included advantage and exhaustion. Now when a player rolls a 1 or a 20, we all hold our breath as the table dice get rolled. Good stuff. A second opinion on how to improve this would be appreciated.

2. A rules reference mod file. I boiled down the rules to their essence, and rewrote everything in point form. No more wading through tons of words just to find a rule. What was the rule for ranged attacks against an adjacent foe? No problem! I have it at my finger tips in 10 seconds. This tool is mostly done. I could use a second set of eyes to help find typos, etc.

3. A homebrewed alternative to the death save rules, called Injury Dice. Now when a character (either a PC or a named boss) goes to below zero HP, they do not fall over. Instead dice are rolled, tables are compared and the hero fights on, but must roll on the tables if they are hit again. But two things. First, the more you roll injury dice, then more dice you must roll each time. High numbers are bad. You may have gotten away with just a flesh wound this time, but one more hit and you are going to be rolling five dice! That many dice and there is a chance for some serious badness coming your way. Second, the injuries suffered this way do not go away with a long rest. You broke your wrist? Ahh, that is going to take some serious time to heal. Next time you get in that situation, yield before you get hit again! I am writing a table for each damage type. I sure could use help with writing and tweaking the tables, and with play testing. So far, I am very happy with my own play testing, but I would like other opinions.

Please message me or post here if you are interesting in collaborating.

Kevin

damned
March 25th, 2015, 22:15
Im not familiar with 5e at this time but these projects look great.
for me in particular I like #2 - 1 and 3 are cool also - but anything that helps distill the important stuff down, that helps speed up learning a new game system is good stuff!

https://www.fg-con.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/fg-con-6-150-7.jpg (https://www.fg-con.com/events/)
FG Con 6 – April 17-19th 2015 - register at www.fg-con.com (https://www.fg-con.com/) for all the latest info.

damned
March 25th, 2015, 22:17
Also Spoofer is running a D&D 5e session at FG Con 6

https://www.fg-con.com/events/tears-of-the-dragon/

Its full now but he collaborated on this with Gadreun who is running the same session at a different time slot here and has room for a couple more players:

https://www.fg-con.com/events/dd-5e-tears-of-the-dragon/

The Scriven One
March 26th, 2015, 08:16
I'm useless with coding so far, but I could look at the mod next week if you like.

Edit: if you want some ideas for brutal effects for the Injury Dice mod, I happen to have written an article on something similar that you are free to adapt from:

Immersive Healing (https://worldsworkshop.com/dd-5e-rules-variant-immersive-healing/)

There are long term injury tables at the end.

Edit the Second: I just realized that you just need eyes on the coding projects. I can help with that too, if you like.

spoofer
March 26th, 2015, 14:13
Awesome! Yeah, the making the modules stuff I have covered. I use PAR5E. More than just eyes though ... creative input too, if you will give it. I will pm you.

The Scriven One
March 26th, 2015, 20:38
Last night I was kind of out of it , and assumed the other two were extensions. I'd be glad to check out your stuff, and offer ideas starting next week.

spoofer
March 29th, 2015, 02:24
Yeah. Help has been acquired and the ball is rolling. I will look into sharing these with the community when they are a bit more polished.

Skellan
March 29th, 2015, 12:34
Cool projects, particularly the crits and fumbles :)

Would the 'remove effect' extension be difficult to convert to 5e? Its really useful

Trenloe
March 29th, 2015, 15:39
Would the 'remove effect' extension be difficult to convert to 5e? Its really useful
I should be able to do that. I've played a couple of 5e games with the ruleset, but not for a while. Where are effects usually added from the character sheet? e.g. in 3.5e/PF effects are added from a spell in a spell class - what's the 5e equivalent of where effects are added from?

Trenloe
March 29th, 2015, 17:04
BOOM! https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?23566-5E-Player-Effect-Removal-Extension

Documentation to follow...

Skellan
March 29th, 2015, 19:06
Oh wow! Thank you Trenloe :D The remove extension is super useful

Trenloe
March 29th, 2015, 19:09
Oh wow! Thank you Trenloe :D The remove extension is super useful
It may need a little bit of refinement as it appears that when adding effects to the combat tracker the ruleset does some formatting, for example: ATK:1 becomes ATK: 1 (space after the colon), and the remove effects extension has to match the effect in the combat tracker exactly. In a future release I'll look at ways of making this match more accurate without making it possible to remove the wrong effect. I just wanted to get this out into the "wild" today...

Skellan
March 29th, 2015, 19:23
I can work around that issue no problem. Just having this available is really helpful, thank you.

spoofer
April 4th, 2015, 13:06
We have finished the first project: updating the critical hits and fumble tables to 5E. I have attached the mod file. To use the file, drop it into your mod directory, and choose Use Critical Hits and Fumbles under House Rules from the in game options menu. Note that updating FG will cause the file to be overwritten. (Does anyone know how to stop that?) If that happens, you will need to copy the mod file to your mod directory again, so keep a back up of the file handy.

Enjoy!

EDIT: Removed the file. See the following posts for a corrected version.

Skellan
April 4th, 2015, 17:20
Thanks spoofer, I will try this out

Trenloe
April 5th, 2015, 00:56
Note that updating FG will cause the file to be overwritten. (Does anyone know how to stop that?)
Call it something different - the filename and the name within the defintion. Then you have the option of activating this community module or the base module that comes with FG - but only activate one at a time:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/39085830/Screenshots/Fantasy%20Grounds/Community%20Crit%20and%20Fumble%20Tables.jpg

Attached is the module you posted above, modified to not be overwritten on an update:

spoofer
April 5th, 2015, 01:47
Trenloe,

Thank you so much for pointing out how to, and then fixing that problem.

To the community members using this: Note that inside FG, the table is still called "default crit and fumble table", even though the mod file name has changed. The link to the dice roller code is maintained, so that if the use crit amd fumble rolls option is checked, then these tables will be automatically rolled on each time a creature rolls a crit or fumble.

Hermundure
May 17th, 2016, 20:49
I just copied the .mod into my folder and opened it in FG, but every table in it seems to be there twice, with a bit different table contents.
Which one should I use with 5e or did I do a mistake on my side?

Edit: Hah!
I solved the riddle :-)
There has been the Smiteworks fumble and critical hit table already open - silly me :-p

bnickelsen
November 20th, 2016, 16:23
Simple Questions (Hopefully)

When I load this Module as a GM do I need make it available to the Players? I.E. add the Green check box vs the red X?

bnickelsen
October 15th, 2017, 16:29
Did number 2 ever get finished? (A rules reference mod file)

Inquiring minds want to know ;)

spoofer
October 16th, 2017, 08:18
Did number 2 ever get finished? (A rules reference mod file)

Inquiring minds want to know ;)

Yup. I finished all of these long ago. Or rather, it got to a state that I liked, and stopped working on it. I use the reference mod all the time. Please send me a PM if you have further inquiries.

K.