PDA

View Full Version : Numenera/The Strange and creating modules

Treegreen
March 24th, 2015, 23:54
The Strange, as a setting, seems very cool. How's everyone's experience with the numenera ruleset in FG? Seems like there is a lot of information you would just have to suck up and enter one at a time into FG rather than all at once with Par5e (I'm looking at stuff like the Cyphers/Artifacts). I poked around the ruleset code a little bit, but my lack of rules comprehension for the system has kept me from digging in more.

Moon Wizard
March 24th, 2015, 23:59
I built the Numenera ruleset, and the system is very rules light. I found that I just copied and pasted from the PDF during the game most of the time.

We tried reaching out to Monte Cook Games to get official store modules set up, but we didn't get any traction.

Cheers,
JPG

Treegreen
March 25th, 2015, 00:16
I don't mean to complain, really. It's not a big deal to copy and paste from an OCE pdf. Assuming I'll need the class info just so my group knows what's what is there anything else you think might be useful to bring in pre-game (e.g. equipment or options)?

Moon Wizard
March 25th, 2015, 00:26
I would usually set up PCs, NPCs and maps before adventures. Otherwise, I just winged it.

The majority of the game mechanics appear to be PC-based from my experience. Everything else is extremely streamlined.

There might be a few Strange specific pieces not supported, but you can always track in notes on PC or notes in campaign.

Cheers,
JPG

morgurth
March 25th, 2015, 01:07
I haven't ran an adventure yet, but I did put in the "Seedship" from the Numenera Core book. It was pretty easy to cut and paste.

I then got into making tables and have a quarter of the Cypher list put in. For example, if the roll is for a Chemical Factory, it hits sub tables that determine the level of the Cypher, the type of chemical produced and how many doses.

I haven't figured out how to handle when the PC's translate to another recursion in the Strange. It could be multiple characters created under the control of one character. Or maybe a character sheet extension that adds the ability to put additional tabs on the character sheet that contain a subset of the data from the front page.

I also started putting in the Numenera Player's guide, but need to figure out how to drag an drop info from there to the character sheet. Like when you pick your "verb" you can drag it to the sheet instead of typing it in. Same with abilities.

Alydar
March 31st, 2015, 22:38
I use multiple character sheets per player for different recursions. Then I just label them "Jane Doe (E)" for when the player is on Earth. "Jane Doe (A) for when on Ardeyn, etc... It is SO easy that way. The player just picks the appropriate character sheet for the session, and off we go. Easy as pie.

@ Moonwizard: I'm not sure if I knew you did the ruleset for this and thanked you yet or not. If I did not - Thank you! So happy you did this for us Cypher System players!

Stryfe484
April 11th, 2016, 18:42
I built the Numenera ruleset, and the system is very rules light. I found that I just copied and pasted from the PDF during the game most of the time.

We tried reaching out to Monte Cook Games to get official store modules set up, but we didn't get any traction.

Cheers,
JPG

Thank you for this ruleset! I just got into the cypher system and ran my first sci-fi game last night. It went very well!
After supporting their most recent kickstarter, I have reached out to Monte Cook Games to see if they would support Fantasy Grounds. Their response was they have decided to support roll20. It was a little disappointing to hear, so I've done something about it.
Hopefully, if they see how many people want to see them back Fantasy Grounds, they will start releasing their material on here. I've set up a forum and emailed them the link to it so they can see how many people want this to happen. Please, go here to weigh in on the discussion:
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?30763-Cypher-System-Support

ProfDogg
September 2nd, 2017, 17:07
Just wanted to ditto this... I'be been really hoping to run Numenera for a while and FG makes it so much easier. Thank you , Moonwizard. Now, if we could only get Monte to approve building in more support...

lordjeb
September 2nd, 2017, 18:34
I have built about 15% of the core Cypher System Rulebook as a FG module. I'm in the process of figuring out how to make the character types linkable to the character sheet. Obviously I cannot share it because of copyright. If there were to be any agreements in place with Monte Cook games, I would happily donate my work thus far to the cause.