PDA

View Full Version : Goblin Boss reaction ability

Draca
March 24th, 2015, 05:02
Was looking for some input on the Goblin Boss reaction ability .

If the Goblin Boss has a goblin within 5 feet of him and he is attacked and hit , he can as a reaction , switch places with said goblin and that goblin takes the damage instead of the goblin boss.

Simple enough.

Ok now...

Does the reaction the goblin boss uses provoke an attack of opportunity?

Lests say that...

PC ( Left) Hits Goblin Boss for 3 damage
Goblin Boss uses Reaction to Switch Places as per Monster description.
Goblin Boss (Right ) , Moves to Goblin ( Left ) , and Goblin ( Left) moves to Goblin boss (Right).
Goblin ( Now Right ) recieves the hit intended for Goblin Boss (Now Left), and takes 3 damage.

So does a reaction to an attack trigger a reaction of Attack of opportunity?

Would PC (Right) get an AoO on Goblin Boss (Now on left))?
Would PC (Left) get an attack of opportunity on Goblin (Now on right)?

Im certain that Goblin( Now on Right) would not provoke , as he was not in control of the movement.

I feel that the Goblin Boss would not provoke , as it was a reaction to an attack, and from a special ability.

What are your thoughts , what would you rule on this ?

Thanks for all you input 9401

damned
March 24th, 2015, 08:49
it would make the special ability into a liability in many cases if you allowed the AoE. id rule no AoE.

Trenloe
March 24th, 2015, 15:44
What's the exact wording of opportunity attacks and provoking in the PHB? I don't have it with me, but looking in the basic rules the "Moving around other creatures" section says "If you leave a hostile creature’s reach during your move, you provoke an opportunity attack..." Also, is there any specific wording in the Goblin Boss ability? From what you say above, I'd guess that this is "switch places" rather than a move and so wouldn't give an AoO.

Draca
March 25th, 2015, 00:09
Players Handbook:
O p p o r t u n i t y A t t a c k s
In a fight, everyone is constantly watching for enemies to drop their guard. You can rarely move heedlessly past your foes without putting yourself in danger; doing so provokes an opportunity attack. You can make an opportunity attack when a hostile creature that you can see moves out of your reach. To make the opportunity attack, you use your reaction to make one melee attack against the provoking creature. The attack interrupts the provoking creature’s movement, occurring right before the creature leaves your reach. You can avoid provoking an opportunity attack by taking the Disengage action. You also don’t provoke an opportunity attack when you teleport or when someone or something moves you without using your movement, action, or reaction. For example, you don’t provoke an opportunity attack if an explosion hurls you out of a foe’s reach or if gravity causes you to fall past an enemy.

Goblin Boss Description:
REACTIONS
Redirect Attack. When a creature the goblin can see targets it with an attack, the goblin chooses another goblin within 5 feet of it. The two goblins swap places, and the chosen goblin becomes the target instead.

Im guessing that since the Goblin Boss Reaction is not worded as movement , but rather a swap.. It would not provoke.

Karykzen
March 25th, 2015, 17:38
I agree is would not be an attack of opportunity. However, after players witness this tatic, the next time they fight a goblin boss, if a player next to a standard goblin readies an attack vs. goblin switch, when his co-party member attacks the boss and the boss switches places with the goblin where the player has readied his attack, I would give that player the attack. This a ready action and not an opportunity attack, but is a tactic players should lean once they witness it.

damned
March 25th, 2015, 22:12
I agree is would not be an attack of opportunity. However, after players witness this tatic, the next time they fight a goblin boss, if a player next to a standard goblin readies an attack vs. goblin switch, when his co-party member attacks the boss and the boss switches places with the goblin where the player has readied his attack, I would give that player the attack. This a ready action and not an opportunity attack, but is a tactic players should lean once they witness it.

It *might* take the players more than one instance of seeing this to click as to what is going on especially if the GM is careful about his descriptions - and then I think what you propose would be fair and a good reward for players paying attention.

Draca
March 26th, 2015, 11:12
Then to liven things up a bit , throw in the Sentinel feat for the PC on the left next to the goblin boss!

I think its the one , the one that lets you get AoO even when people are disengaging , and reduces movement to zero if they hit.

Thanks for all your input , on this.

Kelendros78
March 28th, 2015, 00:36
Draca the sentinel feet wouldn't effect it...it only reduces its movement to 0...its not using movement instead it uses the ability...I think you made the right call in game :D