PDA

View Full Version : Thursday Night 5E Ghosts of Dragonspear Castle (Recruiting!)

iamisandisnt
March 20th, 2015, 21:03
Hi one and all,

I'm starting a 5th edition (DnD Next) weekly campaign playing every Thursday at 9PM Eastern Time (21:00 @ -5GMT) starting Thursday March 26th. The sessions will run for at least three hours, with more if everybody in attendance is interested.

The campaign I will be running is an official Forgotten Realms module called Ghosts of Dragonspear Castle. It starts with the adventure Fane of the Sun Swallower, which takes place in the early 1480s, shortly after the Sundering had run its course and over a hundred years since the Spellplague first struck. The campaign was originally designed with the playtest rules in mind, so I will be modifying the encounters to accommodate the updated rules.

Of note, this campaign was designed to run characters from 1st to 10th level in only four adventures, to give a feel for play with the new rules at various power levels without having to play through a whole season of campaign sessions, which I think suits itself ideally to online play. If we can finish this campaign I will gladly let you keep your characters for other games and I will also incorporate them into the lore of the Forgotten Realms in my own on-going home campaign setting, which will likely continue with another campaign here on Fantasy Grounds.

Gameplay will begin on time with obvious exceptions, but absent players will have their characters run as "background NPCs," contributing basic attacks to combat and utilizing efficient spell-casting when necessary, but more or less "sticking to the background" until the player can return. An ongoing blog will keep track of the story, player actions and important details of each session, and a Google group will be available for post-based role-playing in between sessions (an on-going caravan ride from early in the campaign, or idle time spent resting, for example).

Ghosts of Dragonspear Castle takes place in and around Daggerford on the Sword Coast, close to Waterdeep but situated between the dangerous Lizard Marsh and Misty Forest. Locals and outsiders of all standard races (including dwarves from Mount Illefarn just outside of town, and elves from the High Forest further to the north) call the farmlands of Delimbiyr Vale home. Some settle within the stone walls of Daggerford itself, while others live amongst the neighboring hamlets and villages of Gillian's Hill, Liam's Hold, and Bowshot. Despite the on-going threat of danger, the people of these wild lands persevere against the constant threat of danger, while further to the south along the Trade Way, an ancient fortress still stands.

Dragonspear Castle is one of the most famous ruins along the Sword Coast. Built by an adventurer named Daeros Dragonspear, the once-mighty castle has over the centuries become home to a succession of fell beasts and monsters, from orc armies to dragons and devils, only to be scoured out repeatedly by intrepid bands of adventurers and other forces aligned against evil.

Interested players should reply with their intended race, gender, class and background (e.g. Human Male Rogue Urchin, or Half-Elf Female Wizard Sage).

There is already one player signed up, a local friend who will be playing a Human Male Ranger Outlander hailing from the wild lands of the Misty Forest.

There are several NPCs available as mentors so I'll reply individually with further back-story info before continuing with character creation.

Thanks for your time and interest! :)

Current Roster:

OmegaAnimus: Macen Lorath, Human (Variant) Male Ranger Outlander from Misty Forest

Dekorume: Human (Variant) Male Fighter Soldier from Bowshot

Ghost33313: Cu Lindir Isilme, Half-Elf Male Bard Entertainer (Violin)

jennala: Halfelf, Female, Wild Surge Sorceress, Urchin of Daggerford

Colfen: Elorik Asterfin, Lightfoot Halfling Male Life Cleric Acolyte of Yondalla from Daggerford

Backup List

MerlinAmbrose

Hendell: Dwarf Male War Cleric Acolyte

Stripestiger

If anybody has to drop out, I'll check with the above list for backup

The characters have all lived in Daggerford for the past 5-10 years. Every member of the farming community must serve in the local militia, but this group of five became fast friends when they started volunteering extra time to help patrol their homeland in the service of Sherlen Miller, Commander of the Militia. Sir Isteval, A retired Purple Dragon Knight of Cormyr, has had his eye on the group watching them as they grow in skill, although he has kept his distance for now.

I'm using the standard license of Fantasy Grounds, so players would have to own or subscribe to a standard license themselves to play. I have a PHB parsed out and ready to use for character creation, though.

Dekorume
March 21st, 2015, 01:05
Sounds promising, here is my submission: Male - Human (variant) - Fighter - either Soldier or Bounty Hunter background hailing from Bowshot.

iamisandisnt
March 21st, 2015, 01:58
Great, I've got you added to the roster then. So far we have:

OmegaAnimus: Human (Variant) Male Ranger Outlander

Dekorume: Human (Variant) Male Fighter

I sent you some details on NPC and the party motif. Go ahead and post your back-story and personality details whenever you've got that ready.

Ghost33313
March 21st, 2015, 02:27
Great, I've got you added to the roster then. So far we have:

OmegaAnimus: Human (Variant) Male Ranger Outlander

Dekorume: Human (Variant) Male Fighter

I sent you some details on NPC and the party motif. Go ahead and post your back-story and personality details whenever you've got that ready.

Hello,

We were referred by OmegaAnimus (my wife and I) and would like to join the game. We are unfamiliar with v 5.0 but well versed in 3.5 and 3.75. We will try to sort out our classes tonight but will try to fill support and healer roles. We are east coast as well (know OmegaAnimus irl) so it should make scheduling easy. We do have a 1 year old but are able to manage her while playing the game.

OmegaAnimus
March 21st, 2015, 02:30
Macen Lorath
Human (Variant)
Male
Ranger
21 years old

Macen Lorath was born to a nomadic wild people in the Misty Woods. At the age of 16 he left his tribe and began venturing out into civilization. At the age of 18 he came upon the town of Daggerford and befriended the local farmers and laborers on the outskirts of town. It was this year that a band of raiders tried sacking the farms, only to be driven back by the local militia and Macen's aid. He has since become friends with those he fought beside and are among his strongest connection to Daggerford.

Macen makes a living through hunting for meat and pelts which he trades and sells in Daggerford. He is currently under the reluctant tutelage of huntsman Kelson Darktreader. It is through Kelson that he is able to do trade with the people of Daggerford, however it would be a lie to say Darktreader is a friend or mentor to Macen.

Macen lives on the outskirts of the woods outside Daggerford. Not much is known about his home in the woods or his tribe, and he tends to be more quiet and reserved in the company of others. Civilization is still something he is adjusting to and much of the ways of city folk confuse him. Where others naturally see a world of bureaucracy and status he sees a natural world with simple solutions.

His friendship with his party is the closest he has to a family or tribe anymore, but all can tell he keeps his friends at at arms length. This is not out of any distrust or distaste for others, but seems to be in his nature.

iamisandisnt
March 21st, 2015, 02:40
There is a free briefer on the 5th edition rules available from WoTC here: https://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/basicrules

Sounds like you two would be a great addition to the group. OmegaAnimus has mentioned you before and I'm familiar with some of your graphics art work with him :)

For now though I want to make sure you're set up and good to go with Fantasy Grounds before I add you to the roster, but I'm sure it'll be no problem. You'll have to purchase a license or subscribe in order to play, too.

damned
March 21st, 2015, 02:53
Welcome to the Fantasy Grounds community OmegaAnimus and Ghost33313 (and partner)!
Sounds like this game is getting off on the right foot.
Dont forget to check out FG Con which runs in 4 weeks time. There are over 50 games running (10 5E games I think) and the games cater to pretty much every timezone :)

https://www.fg-con.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/fg-con-6-150-7.jpg (https://www.fg-con.com/events/)
FG Con 6 – April 17-19th 2015 - register at www.fg-con.com (https://www.fg-con.com/) for all the latest info.

jennala
March 21st, 2015, 03:11
Hi so I'm the other half of the new players, I had a question about length of time of the game etc- the licenses can be bought either at a monthly sub of 8 (since its 2 of us) or lifetime of 80... so, do you see us playing for more than 10 months, either this or another game? i was wondering how much of an investment we should make.
Still looking into classes and such.

iamisandisnt
March 21st, 2015, 03:21
Well for what it's worth, I'm paying the subscription myself. I figure if I'm still using FG in 5 months, it's definitely worth it and I'll just pay for the standard version at that point. So far so good, though, I might just buy it sooner than later.

As for the campaign I could definitely see this running for a few months at least, depending on how quickly we move through the material, and like I said, I'd be interested in playing more after it's complete.

damned
March 21st, 2015, 03:23
Hello jennala other half!
I cant speak for the GM but there are always games starting (and stopping) and we run 2 FG Cons per year.
There are groups like https://extraordinarygamers.com/ who run lots of regular games too.

I personally like the outright license - I think its much better value over time. You can also run your own games too.

https://www.fg-con.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/fg-con-6-150-7.jpg (https://www.fg-con.com/events/)
FG Con 6 – April 17-19th 2015 - register at www.fg-con.com (https://www.fg-con.com/) for all the latest info.

Chandoran
March 21st, 2015, 04:13
Hi,

I'd also like to join your game as well.

I would be a Human Male Paladin with the Soldier background.

I'll work on fleshing out my back-story, but I will be hailing from Cormyr as a former Purple Dragon Knight and follower of Lathander.

Chandoran

iamisandisnt
March 21st, 2015, 04:17
Hi,

I'd also like to join your game as well.

I would be a Human Male Paladin with the Soldier background.

I'll work on fleshing out my back-story, but I will be hailing from Cormyr as a former Purple Dragon Knight and follower of Lathander.

Chandoran

Cool. Let's call him a former Purple Dragon Blade (a lower rank than a Knight, which would be a full-fledged Lord with house and vassals and all that good stuff ;D) and I'll add you to the roster!

Ghost33313
March 21st, 2015, 04:19
Ghost33313: (Name: Pab Kilg Shedin), Bronze Dragonborn, Male, Paladin, Acolyte (Oath of Devotion) Worshiping Bahamut. NG

Let me know if Dragonborn doesn't fit into the setting I am prepared to rp being seen with fear and hostility by the commoners.

Edit: Oh **** didn't see the other paladin XD back to the drawing board you called it first lol!

jennala
March 21st, 2015, 04:21
Halfelf, Female, Wild Surge Sorceress, Urchin

I'm fleshing out details now.

Ghost33313
March 21st, 2015, 04:24
Ghost33313: (Name: Pab Kilg Shedin), Bronze Dragonborn, Male, Paladin, Acolyte (Oath of Devotion) Worshiping Bahamut. NG

Let me know if Dragonborn doesn't fit into the setting I am prepared to rp being seen with fear and hostility by the commoners.

Edit: Oh **** didn't see the other paladin XD back to the drawing board you called it first lol!

I Call BARD THEN! there now i won't spend an hour taking too long XD

iamisandisnt
March 21st, 2015, 04:35
Bard is awesome. Wild Surge Sorceress should be fun too :)

Unfortunately Dragonborn wouldn't fit in, but the rest is cool :)

jennala
March 21st, 2015, 04:57
I don't think he was even considering dragonborn with the bard, he'll probably look at some other charismatic race. Are there any other races off limits? (he stepped out so I'll ask to save time :) )
as for the wild surge sorceress, i think so too :) I joke I like chaos in a controlled atmosphere ;)

iamisandisnt
March 21st, 2015, 05:09
Yup it's right in the original post (although I admit that post is a big wall of text :D)

No Half-Orcs, Dragonborn or Tieflings, but otherwise any are fine.

Oh I just noticed I never included it in the original post, my fault :)

jennala
March 21st, 2015, 05:19
woo, makes me glad I went for halfelf, I was looking at teifling LOL

Ghost33313
March 21st, 2015, 05:26
Is Drow Kosher? Reformed obviously, like Drizzt perhaps.

iamisandisnt
March 21st, 2015, 15:48
Unfortunately I had to re-write the original post due to a crash, and I forgot the bit about what races are allowed, but standard races only, so that means what's in the PHB minus Half-Orc, Dragonborn and Tiefling. Same goes with Drow or Duergar or Svirfneblin, and no Half-Drow, Half-Duergar or Half-Svirfneblin lol

It's not that those races aren't really cool, but they stick out like a sore thumb and I'd like to have all of the characters stand out equally for their personality/traits.

iamisandisnt
March 21st, 2015, 15:58
So at this point I believe I've given everybody information on their mentor NPC and one or two other NPCs they would know in town, so feel free to write up a back-story and send it to me in private message. Once it's approved you can post it here and we'll move on with character creation :)

Hendell
March 21st, 2015, 23:28
Hello,

I would like to join this campaign if I could.

The character I would like to use is a dwarf cleric using the war domain.

A brief start of his backstory would be that he would be a older dwarf that has come to believe the fighters of today have become to soft in their nature and has been tasked to take up a adventuring life to "toughen the lot up".

"In his day adventurer's didn't cry out for healing at every turn they shrugged it off and went back to fighten"

It is a little crude at this point but I hope I expressed the idea I have for him at this point.

I will be a new player though, I have not played D&D since second edition but I do have all the rulebooks and monster manual.
I am also new to fantasy grounds and have just purchased it before coming to post here.

iamisandisnt
March 22nd, 2015, 00:35
Cool, I've got a full roster for the moment but I'll put you on my backup list. If anyone drops out or doesn't meet my requirements for whatever reason I'll let you know :)

Anybody else feel free to reply, I wouldn't mind seeing a few more characters to choose from. I'm not exactly restricting this to first-come first-serve, but since I do know Dekorume and OmegaAnimus, and Ghost33313/jennala are friends, I'll probably just choose my favorite application from amongst the rest of you.

So I'll leave applications open for now, anybody who's already applied hope this doesn't bother you too much, but I've only had the post up for a day now and the group is almost full :)

OmegaAnimus
March 22nd, 2015, 00:47
Is Drow Kosher? Reformed obviously, like Drizzt perhaps.

I'd assume not because they live in underground and in caves. They're probably considered "unclean" like pigs and shellfish.

iamisandisnt
March 22nd, 2015, 00:48
I'd assume not because they live in underground and in caves. They're probably considered "unclean" like pigs and shellfish.

yes, quite unseemly

Hendell
March 22nd, 2015, 00:51
No problem at all. Just let me know when you can. I do appreciate the reply you gave so I know what's going on.
Also I forgot the background selection for my character and he would be an acolyte.

iamisandisnt
March 22nd, 2015, 01:02
Cool, will add it to the first post :)

Anyone else feel free to apply, I'll keep considering new characters until Monday!

Colfen
March 22nd, 2015, 01:19
Adding my application:

Elorik Asterfin

Lightfoot Halfling Cleric of Yondalla (Life Domain), Acolyte Background. Sent to Daggerford to tend to the needs of the local residents and has done so for many years. His primary duty has been to administer to the farmers (healing sickness, resolving disputes, etc.). However, he often helps the militia on missions that might require divine aid or during mission recovery.

iamisandisnt
March 22nd, 2015, 01:24
Duly noted! Thank you for your application :)

damned
March 22nd, 2015, 01:48
No problem at all. Just let me know when you can. I do appreciate the reply you gave so I know what's going on.
Also I forgot the background selection for my character and he would be an acolyte.

Hey Hendell - you might like some old school D&D too - https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?23497-Still-recruiting-for-C-amp-C-game-on-friday-nights

Dekorume
March 22nd, 2015, 13:17
Macen Lorath
Human (Variant)
Male
Ranger
21 years old

Macen Lorath was born to a nomadic wild people in the Misty Woods. At the age of 16 he left his tribe and began venturing out into civilization. At the age of 18 he came upon the town of Daggerford and befriended the local farmers and laborers on the outskirts of town. It was this year that a band of raiders tried sacking the farms, only to be driven back by the local militia and Macen's aid. He has since become friends with those he fought beside and are among his strongest connection to Daggerford.

Macen makes a living through hunting for meat and pelts which he trades and sells in Daggerford. He is currently under the reluctant tutelage of huntsman Kelson Darktreader. It is through Kelson that he is able to do trade with the people of Daggerford, however it would be a lie to say Darktreader is a friend or mentor to Macen.

Macen lives on the outskirts of the woods outside Daggerford. Not much is known about his home in the woods or his tribe, and he tends to be more quiet and reserved in the company of others. Civilization is still something he is adjusting to and much of the ways of city folk confuse him. Where others naturally see a world of bureaucracy and status he sees a natural world with simple solutions.

His friendship with his party is the closest he has to a family or tribe anymore, but all can tell he keeps his friends at at arms length. This is not out of any distrust or distaste for others, but seems to be in his nature.

Benedict, son of the Lion
Human (Variant)
Male
Fighter
20 years old

Benedict grew up a half a day's ride south of Daggerford in the hamlet of Gillian's Hill.

He was brought here by his father, the Lion (a swordsman who made his living by settling other people's problems with his sword, in short a duelist-for-hire) when he was three years old. He never spoke of where they came from, he never talked about Benedict's mother; he fought and he drank. Sometimes they lived the life of low-nobles, occasionally the life of the low-born, but mostly somewhere in the middle. The Lion was a hard taskmaster, forcing Benedict into grueling swordplay sessions from the age of six, using sharpened blades at age ten. Young Ben was better with a blade by age twelve than half the men in Gillian's Hill and still his father drilled him, leaving the boy bruised and beaten on many a night.

Benedict could do nothing against his father and so took his frustration out on local bullies, so-much-so that he was sentenced to a seven year stint in the Daggerford militia at the age of thirteen. Under the watchful eye of the "Spearslayer", Commander of the Daggerford Militia, Sherlen Miller. Between her tutelage, the daily lectures from Sir Isteval on new beginnings and the ability to teach those that would prey on Daggerford a lesson, Benedict's anger subsided as he found better ways to channel it.

It was during his enforced service that Benedict met Macen Lorath while training as a scout, they fought together during a brief skirmish with raiders and have since formed a tenuous friendship. It was also during this time that Benedict learned that his father, the Lion had been slain during a duel by a poisoned blade, its wielder vanished. Upon his release from service, Benedict was given his father's effects: his armor and rapier.

It is here that Benedict begins his Dragonspear Castle adventure…

iamisandisnt
March 22nd, 2015, 14:00
Very nice! :D

stripestiger
March 23rd, 2015, 05:40
I'm intereted if you still have a slot open.

jennala
March 23rd, 2015, 16:20
Katerina Bermov, half-elf urchin

Alone is the street at around age 10 she could be found, clutching an amulet sobbing quietly for her parents. Holding onto a small bag, with a tiny mouse sitting on her shoulder, she would scrounge for food among the common folk. At first, it was fine as this young girl, with the choppy hair seemed harmless, just your typical street rat... until she became angry, or scared, or happy... oh really any strong emotion. On being caught stealing a piece of bread the panic and thrill that rushed through her came out as a blast of fire "well, wanted it toasted anyway" she'd say as she ran away from those perusing her. This went on for a short while, she made a name for herself as the clumsy mage, and a topic of ridicule by the people of the city. Yet, while once again attempting to grab a bite of food she was caught by the man who would then become her mentor. In a panic she attempted to cast a single spell she could barely remember but failed horribly. When questioned by him, she attempted to answer and to her dismay pink bubbles came out of her mouth instead, popping after floating a bit above her head. The man was so entertained, that his laughter actually brought her comfort. He mumbled something under his breath and suddenly the effect ended. "I'm a friend, you have a gift, you need to learn to use it child" he said, extending his hand and that began her years of training, to actually get a hold on her innate abilities.

"Looking back, I still do not know who abducted me, but because I have the belongings I have... I fear my parents have rejected me" She looks at those she has been working with in the militia twirling the locket between her fingers. She pauses and pushes her now long hair behind her ears "I never understood why my mother would make these elaborate hats to cover my head, while my siblings were permitted to go uncovered.... but now I know" she poked the top of her ear "mother was hiding that there was something wrong with me. Delfin says I'm a half elf, I think I'm under some curse, father was not an elf... I think" She produced a small flame in her hand "It wasn't until the day I discovered magic that anything seemed wrong at all" laughing she adds "Some way for my family to discover my curse, I burned of all of my hair!"

Looking around she sighed again

"guess I need to work more on my magic, a few nights back I hiccuped during casting and well, it is good to have my feet back on the ground... so, where are we headed?"

Ghost33313
March 23rd, 2015, 16:45
Sorry for the delay in getting back. Hectic weekend. Right now I am going to go half-elf, Male, Bard, Entertainer (Instrumentalist: Violin) Name: Cu Lindir Isilme

I'll deliver more backstory in private but publicly it is known well that...

He is chaotic prone for mood swings especially about any insecurities he has. Yet always has the best of intentions.

He is quite the romantic about elvish tradition however what is most important is to make people smile with his craft.

Flaw: He loves elves and identifies as one to the point where he does everything in his power to look and behave like one (even sleeping upright when in public to appear as if meditating.) His impure blood is a sore spot for him.

He was originally raised by High-elves and never met his human father. Although his elvish pride often rubs people the wrong way it is quickly forgotten as he is quick to help and only wants the best for others. He decided to live away from his homeland to gain experience of others and to spread the word of Corellon Larethian exploring and finding inspirational art. When Cu Lindir arrived he was quickly brought in to work for Sir Darfin “Longwalker” Floshin. Serving in the tradition of most bards. Being a diplomate and all around pain in the *** of the best kind. For the most part he gets along with him although Cu Lindir's chaotic nature often gets on the ire of Longwalker if only briefly.

In his spare time he always visits any location with a large public gathering to perform. Hoping for donations but never demanding. Performing requests but preferring the elvish songs of his homeland.

Ghost33313
March 23rd, 2015, 19:13
Planning ahead how do we determine ability points for your game? Point buy? Or are we all getting together to roll at some point?

iamisandisnt
March 24th, 2015, 00:15
Alright, awesome backgrounds, you guys. I've gone ahead and added Colfen, the halfling cleric of Yondalla to the party. Anyone else who'd be interested in signing up if any spots open up, feel free to reply to this thread, but otherwise I'm going to move on to character creation.

Ignore the "point-buy system" rules in the PHB - instead, we'll be distributing 80 amongst the six stats. It's a flat-buy system meaning 1 point equals 1 point, no matter how high the ability already is. So going from 10 to 11 costs one point, just as going from 17 to 18 costs one point.

Before applying racial modifiers, your maximum score in any stat should be 18, so that a +2 from race will give you a potential maximum of 20.

For example, the following scores are all valid distributions before applying racial modifiers, but feel free to distribute the scores however you want:

Strength: 18
Dexterity: 18
Constitution: 12
Intelligence: 12
Wisdom: 10
Charisma: 10

Strength: 18
Dexterity: 18
Constitution: 18
Intelligence: 10
Wisdom: 8
Charisma: 8

Strength: 16
Dexterity: 16
Constitution: 12
Intelligence: 12
Wisdom: 12
Charisma: 12

Strength: 16
Dexterity: 16
Constitution: 16
Intelligence: 10
Wisdom: 10
Charisma: 10

etc etc

If you already have Fantasy Grounds, feel free to start a new game on your own and build your character in the program. I'm more than happy to help you guys with the program so if you want to meet up online tomorrow (Tuesday) afternoon I should be around. Otherwise Wednesday morning also works for me, and if nothing else, we'll finish character creation Thursday evening on our first game.

If you wanna just write down your choices, it'll make plugging the info in to FG that much easier.

Skills come from race, class, and background

Choose inventory from class and background, using the remaining gold from background to purchase any additional goods from PHB

Alternative humans can pick one feat

Spellcasters let me know if you have any questions on how to pick/prepare spells but the info can be found in the first paragraph under "Spellcasting" in your class description in the PHB

Please pick (or roll if you're feeling random :D) your background's specialty and personality traits

iamisandisnt
March 24th, 2015, 00:30
Also, if everyone could send me a private message with a google e-mail address so I can add you to the Googly group, that would be great :)

jennala
March 24th, 2015, 00:56
We were debating purchasing the steam version as long as the dl on the site and on steam are compatible. I'm pretty sure they are, any ideas?
Once we know for sure we'll be getting it tonight.

iamisandisnt
March 24th, 2015, 00:59
Yup, totally compatible. If you want, we can log on with OmegaAnimus tonight and get your characters going, just let me know when you're all set up.

JohnD
March 24th, 2015, 01:02
We were debating purchasing the steam version as long as the dl on the site and on steam are compatible. I'm pretty sure they are, any ideas?
Once we know for sure we'll be getting it tonight.
They are.

Has been interesting popping in and reading the character backgrounds. :)

jennala
March 24th, 2015, 01:10
ok, so we both purchased it... now to figure it out :)

iamisandisnt
March 24th, 2015, 01:29
So if you re-start FG and click "Join Game," type in your desired username and then for the "Host Address" enter "loud echo vast quill" (all lowercase, no quotation marks)

I'm on right now with OmegaAnimus if anyone wants to sign on

Colfen
March 24th, 2015, 04:45
Elorik Asterfin
Lightfoot Halfling
Male
Cleric (Yondalla, Life Domain)
26 years old

Elorik's parents were priests of Yondalla and he follows in their footsteps. Elorik split from his parents when he came of age to help spread the Yondallan religion. He came to settle in Daggerford after helping the militia push back the raiders. Working with the militia, he met Macen, Katerina, Benedict, and Cu. Being the oldest amongst himself, Macen, Katerina, and Benedict: Elorik sees himself as a bit of an protector/older brother despite being the smallest among them. He makes himself available to them if they need anything or just someone to talk to. Each has had a rougher life than Elorik, so he does his best to empathize with them and share those burdens. As for Cu, Elorik finds his overt pride and wild mood swings dubious at best. Yet, he has recognized in the older half-elf a willingness to help others when needed. Thus, Elorik respects him, if grudgingly, and recognizes him as an integral part of the group.

Elorik is known to be an assistant to Hadeshah (head of the local temple to Chauntea). He spends most of his time away from the temple helping the townsfolk, unlike Hadeshah who spends most of her time in seclusion. It's a point of contention between the two, but Elorik always puts his faith in the temple's heirarchy. He can often be found tending to Sherlen's troops, discussing philosophy with Sir Isteval at the tavern over a game of chess (and maybe an ale or two), or blessing travelers who stop in Daggerford to rest.

iamisandisnt
March 24th, 2015, 16:16
Great progress with characters last night, I believe we have three out of five mostly done.

I'll be playing in a game later tonight but if anyone wants to log on before then to work on their character sheet, just post here and I'll load it up :)

iamisandisnt
March 25th, 2015, 22:18
Ok guys, you should all have an invite to join the Ghosts of Dragonspear Castle Google Group - check your Social/Spam folders if you missed it!

I'll start a Google Hangout for the game tomorrow so make sure you update that piece of software ahead of time, check your mic, etc

If that doesn't work, we can use Skype, so add me at: iamisandisnt

I'll be online an hour or two ahead of time to get characters up and running if anyone wants to jump in early: loud echo vast quill

iamisandisnt
March 26th, 2015, 22:20
Aaaand server's up. I'll be in and out for the rest of the day, but should be back by 9 PM EDT to make sure everything's still up and running.

Feel free to log in to create/finish your character sheets any time, and we can go over them again at 9 or 9:30 to get everyone ready to start playing tonight.

Server alias: loud echo vast quill

iamisandisnt
April 2nd, 2015, 17:21
Hey guys, great game last week.

Let's aim to start at 9 since everybody's characters are good to go. Nobody leveled up yet but combat was very light last week but rest assured, you're about to get into the thick of it ;)

iamisandisnt
April 3rd, 2015, 01:42
K, server is up, I'll start the google chat at 9 when everyone's in

iamisandisnt
April 5th, 2015, 05:14
A wrap up of the first two sessions' worth of adventures:

Session 1

It's that time of year when citizens far and wide come to the small farming community of Daggerford to celebrate its festivities, but a series of heavy downpours has put things on hold. Forced to stay inside due to the inclement weather, commoners have been abuzz with rumors about the recent attack by "Half-Orc Dwarves" (called "Dworcs" by some) against Daggerford's own Lord Floshin, one of the only elves of high standing in the region. Apparently, an altar depicting the element of water was smashed and destroyed. What's more, a gardener of Floshin's was arrested when one of his servants managed to escape her Dworcish captors, and identified him as a Red Wizard of Thay! Due to be hung on the morrow, the party decided to stick around to see that his public execution went according to plan.

Immediately after the execution, a hurried messenger arrived hailing of a black dragon attacking nearby Cromm's Hold, the community's bastion of defense against incursions from the Lizard Marsh. The party hails from Daggerford, and as members of its militia, they were asked to accompany a portion of the guard as they investigate, and see what good they could do.

When they arrived, they found 6 soldiers incapacitated, and following some medicine and nature checks, were able to identify a rotting disease, and the accompanying herbs to treat it effectively. In addition, they learned that the dragon had demanded tribute in the form of an altar dedicated to the element of air.

The party found themselves employed by the manor's charge, Baroness Wynne, and Sir Isteval, a local Paladin of Amaunator (technically now called Lathander but Isteval is a stickler for the past).

Their mission: to seek any information on the black dragon, these Half-Orc Dwarves and any correlation between the two of them and these altars. But they should avoid, at all costs, any direct confrontation with a dragon.

Having spent the night at the lavish quarters of Cromm's Hold, the party set out first thing in the morning, only to be confronted by a fellow member of the militia, Maechen. She insisted on helping the party find their way through the swamp, as she knew it like the back of her hand. As they party could tell though, she was more interested in proving her worth to Sir Isteval, who she may or may not have a thing for.

After passing a stranded shipwreck for fear of monsters within, the party came across an abandoned old structure covered in vines and splattered with mud. Within, a small band of half-orc dwarves clung to the last vestiges of a life before being slashed away by the ensuing battle. Macen the ranger (not to be confused with Maechen the militia member) displayed his particular affinity for dispatching orcs with utmost contempt. Despite his protests, however, the party kept one Dworc alive for questioning, although they didn't actually question it much.

In the corner of the ruins, the party discovered a massive black dragon egg, which hatched as soon as the halfling priest Elorik tended to it. Being unable to hurt a living creature which had done no wrong, the party agreed to allow Elorik to keep the baby dragon wyrmling on a long leash, but they kept a close eye on it and refrained from allowing it to take party in battle, thus limiting its exposure to evil.

Maechen led the party further into the swamp that evening, straight to the location of a welcoming gazebo. Ancient Elven in origin, the structure had an odd effect on keeping most of the insects and lizards at bay. Luckily, most of the lizardkin and monsters of the marsh kept away, as well.

Session 2

In the morning, Macen allowed the party to let their captive Dworc go free, on stipulation that it be given a one-hour head start before Macen could kill it again. As the creature ran, Macen fired a warning shot which accidentally clipped the Dworc in the back of the head.

Not everyone in the party disagreed with his accident, and the party pressed on, only to be confronted by the croaking ribbet of a giant frog. Benedict the fighter charged forward, slaying the frog almost instantly, before three of its brethren crawled from the muck to its defense. This would not be the last time Benedict charged in to battle unprepared, for the party was victorious and was able to press onwards.

Finally, the party came to the edge of a black lake in the middle of the swamp. The rain was coming down thick now, and the party was hesitant to swim forward to approach the looming temple which rested on an island in the middle of the lake. Katerina was able to identify the bright yellow flowers that grew alongside the lake, as insect repellant. Luckily, it also worked against leeches.

Macen charged first into the murky depths, and emerged safely on the other side, where he promptly set to climbing the outside of the temple to peer within its shattered dome ceiling. Therein he spotted four lizardkin. He returned to the edge of the roof-top, where he could signal the party, and before he could even get back to his perch, Benedict charged forth!

The battle was quick and bloody, with Benedict and Cu suffering great wounds. Luckily, Elorik had left his dragon wyrmling to swim and feast outside in the waters and was able to tend to their wounds and even magically raise Benedict from unconscious once.

As the sounds of combat came to a quiet echo, the party found themselves in what appeared to be an ancient temple of Amaunator. Within the crevices of a fresco mural depicting various scenes celebrating the sun, Benedict discovered a blue key (which was imitating the shape of a blue-robed worshiper in the mural).

Benedict went exploring further and uncovered the hatching grounds of fire beetles, which the temple's inhabitants apparently use as their only light source. He also discovered a butchery of sorts, which contained several carcasses held aloft in vine rope nets, as well as two more lizard kin who charged forth and knocked him unconscious in the ensuing battle!

Luckily the party was victorious, but with no more healing spells, they had to wait out the night before they could see to tending Benedict's wounds properly. Deciding upon an empty looking room, they set to rummaging for wood and metal to prop the door when they were again attacked by six giant centipedes!

The party was saved by Katerina and Cu Lindar's expert use of fire bolts and rapier. Everyone else was badly injured or knocked unconscious, but they survived, and with the door firmly secured, they waited for the sun to rise for another day.

Within the rubbish, the heroes discovered a lockbox, which careful investigation revealed matched the blue key discovered earlier. Within they found a quartz crystal that glowed with an inner light (equivalent to a candle flame), a potion of invisibility in a vial made from a hollowed-out devil's horn, a burgundy velvet pouch containing 45 ep, and a blue wax candle that remains lit even while immersed in water.

In addition, they reached level 2.

*ding*

SheerANONYMOUS
April 8th, 2015, 01:00
Sounds like fun.

mightymax474
April 8th, 2015, 02:04
If you have room, I would be interested as (all male) either

A Paladin/Variant Human/Sailor (or something else)
B Barbarian/Variant Human/Criminal
C Druid/Wood Elf/Guild Artisan
D Warlock/Variant Human (or Tiefling)/Criminal