PDA

View Full Version : Idea!!

Djmaxx
March 18th, 2015, 00:54
I just got a xbox one and had a great idea y not make FG a app for the xbox. It has snap so you can have FG running and have explorer or something else open at the same time. Also you would have the party feature to use for voice chat.

damned
March 18th, 2015, 01:28
its *possible* as the next major version of FG is likely to be built on the Unity Engine.
https://unity3d.com/unity/multiplatform

https://www.fg-con.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/fg-con-6-150-15.jpg (https://www.fg-con.com/events/)
FG Con 6 – April 17-19th 2015 - register at www.fg-con.com (https://www.fg-con.com/) for all the latest info.

Djmaxx
March 18th, 2015, 01:46
i am a user of Unity so if thats the case the it should be very possible to do but the question stands now as to when it will be coming out

Mask_of_winter
March 18th, 2015, 01:57
And the players would have yet another distraction during a game. Facebook, the web, pc games, now the xbox as well. Sounds like a great idea! hehe

damned
March 18th, 2015, 02:00
i am a user of Unity so if thats the case the it should be very possible to do but the question stands now as to when it will be coming out

Genius cant be hurried! Unity is not the only thing on the FG Roadmap and its a massive undertaking to rebuild the product on another platform and maintain as much backwards compatibility as possible.
Also XBox and other consoles impose a whole new range of interface considerations - like tablets do.

Djmaxx
March 18th, 2015, 02:05
I play the xbox more that anything these days and i know a lot of ppl that would play if it was on a console. Also i think that it shouldnt matter what platform you are on you should be able to play x-platform to open up the amount of ppl to connect with.

Liktorn
March 18th, 2015, 10:19
Genius cant be hurried! Unity is not the only thing on the FG Roadmap and its a massive undertaking to rebuild the product on another platform and maintain as much backwards compatibility as possible.
Also XBox and other consoles impose a whole new range of interface considerations - like tablets do.

Sound amazing!
But, do we have to buy a new license for FGIII?

damned
March 18th, 2015, 11:00
Sound amazing!
But, do we have to buy a new license for FGIII?

Hey Liktorn - I dont know the answer to that question but it has been raised in another thread.
My thoughts are that FG4 will probably be the first time we are asked to pay an upgrade fee for buy a new License. For the last 10years they have given every upgrade for free.
This upgrade is a huge investment by SmiteWorks and I think we will have to buy a new License.
If you have a subscription you would automatically get the newest version.
Doug mentioned that one possibility was a sliding scale - those who bought their licenses very recently might have a significant discount on their license while older license holders might need to buy again or get only a small upgrade.
This is what i have read in other posts and possibly some of it may be incorrect or mis-remembered. AlsoDoug suggested they were still discussing ideas.

https://www.fg-con.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/fg-con-6-150-9.jpg (https://www.fg-con.com/events/)
FG Con 6 – April 17-19th 2015 - register at www.fg-con.com (https://www.fg-con.com/) for all the latest info.

Djmaxx
March 18th, 2015, 12:35
When it come to an upgrade like this you would have to buy the game due to the fact that there is a lot more envolved. But if you are a ultimate licenses holder im sure that they would offer a discounted price. Like when you bought FG2 for the PC/Mac you would only have to pay once and it would only cost between $30-$60 to have it for a console.

And as for content it coutld use OneDrive or something like it to upload Custom games/tokens/maps and more cause i can already share stuff from my PC to my One.

Liktorn
March 18th, 2015, 12:44
Hey Liktorn - I dont know the answer to that question but it has been raised in another thread.
My thoughts are that FG4 will probably be the first time we are asked to pay an upgrade fee for buy a new License. For the last 10years they have given every upgrade for free.
This upgrade is a huge investment by SmiteWorks and I think we will have to buy a new License.
If you have a subscription you would automatically get the newest version.
Doug mentioned that one possibility was a sliding scale - those who bought their licenses very recently might have a significant discount on their license while older license holders might need to buy again or get only a small upgrade.
This is what i have read in other posts and possibly some of it may be incorrect or mis-remembered. AlsoDoug suggested they were still discussing ideas.

Understandebla. But I bought the Ultimate one last year.
FG4? I thought the current version was FGII???

Edit: BTW, it does say Lifetime Licence.

damned
March 18th, 2015, 12:53

The Current Version is FG3.
FG3 was a massive upgrade and happened in late 2013.
I dont know where it says Lifetime License - but - no one is talking about taking your FG3 license away from you.
If FG4 is a paid upgrade (and I personally hope it will be - not cos I like spending money but because I think it will be worth it and you cant keep doing upgrades for free forever) it is likely that some/many users will stay on FG3. They would be unlikely to get any updates/upgrades as new work would all be on FG4. If your group continued to use FG3 it would most probably continue to work.
Again - just conjecture.

Liktorn
March 18th, 2015, 13:12
The Current Version is FG3.
FG3 was a massive upgrade and happened in late 2013.
I dont know where it says Lifetime License - but - no one is talking about taking your FG3 license away from you.
If FG4 is a paid upgrade (and I personally hope it will be - not cos I like spending money but because I think it will be worth it and you cant keep doing upgrades for free forever) it is likely that some/many users will stay on FG3. They would be unlikely to get any updates/upgrades as new work would all be on FG4. If your group continued to use FG3 it would most probably continue to work.
Again - just conjecture.

But why does it say Fantasy Grounds II in my program library?

Djmaxx
March 18th, 2015, 13:13

It cost a company a lot of time and money to do something like this and it would be economy incorrect to give it away. Plus going to a console version would not just be a update your looking at a whole new system. In order for SmiteWorks to continue to be able to do this they need revenue coming in so that means that they need new ppl to join the community.

For the Lifetime License it is only for the computer version so to play on a console you would have to buy it again.

Liktorn
March 18th, 2015, 13:26
It cost a company a lot of time and money to do something like this and it would be economy incorrect to give it away. Plus going to a console version would not just be a update your looking at a whole new system. In order for SmiteWorks to continue to be able to do this they need revenue coming in so that means that they need new ppl to join the community.
Yes, yes, I understand all that! Everything costs money in this world. And of course I would want to support the company. They are doing a great job, and their support is over the top. But none the less, it's a lot of money for me to pay again, less then a year from my Ultimate License purchase. Even it it takes a couple of years for FG4 to come out.

I do not care that much about xbox support, but i love the fact that it will/may be support for tablets (and not just for Apple products I hope). And I guess Unity will make it easier for us modders, to play around creating rule sets/expansions. And to be honest, that is all I have done so far. I have a Ultimate Licence, yet I have not used it :cry:

damned
March 18th, 2015, 13:33
Djmaxx I have not seen any discussion of a Console version - only of the Unity engine. I think a Native Mac version followed by an iOS and Android version are more likely.

Liktorn for a long time (well from when FG II was released and FG II got all the way up to 2.8.something or maybe even 2.9.something) the product was known as Fantasy Grounds II. Sometime last year SmiteWorks dropped the II and just referred to the product as Fantasy Grounds. I think if you installed it now on a new computer it would just install as Fantasy Grounds in the Fantasy Grounds directory. There would be no reference to Fantasy Grounds II.
On the splash screen you will see your version. It should be 3.0.10 or if you are testing 3.0.11

damned
March 18th, 2015, 13:37
Yes, yes, I understand all that! Everything costs money in this world. And of course I would want to support the company. They are doing a great job, and their support is over the top. But none the less, it's a lot of money for me to pay again, less then a year from my Ultimate License purchase. Even it it takes a couple of years for FG4 to come out.

I do not care that much about xbox support, but i love the fact that it will/may be support for tablets (and not just for Apple products I hope). And I guess Unity will make it easier for us modders, to play around creating rule sets/expansions. And to be honest, that is all I have done so far. I have a Ultimate Licence, yet I have not used it :cry:

Liktorn - stop sitting on the sidelines! Even if you only paid $10 it would still be expensive if you never used it!
Check out https://www.fg-con.com/events and sign up for something! Either choose something that interests you or choose something at the most suitable time for you. Its good to try different things and a Con is your best opportunity.

Otherwise why arent you playing? Is it timing? Is it language? Is it lack of Players or GM?

Djmaxx
March 18th, 2015, 13:38

As far as it being on xbox /PS4 or what ever the support would still come from SmiteWorks not xbox/Sony. The cost of it on a console wouldn't be the same as what you paid a year ago either.

I have been playing TTRPG's for almost 13 years now and every year i see this style of gaming dye a little more so i try to be a little innovative to help this wonderful thing stay alive

Liktorn
March 18th, 2015, 13:44
Djmaxx I have not seen any discussion of a Console version - only of the Unity engine. I think a Native Mac version followed by an iOS and Android version are more likely.

Liktorn for a long time (well from when FG II was released and FG II got all the way up to 2.8.something or maybe even 2.9.something) the product was known as Fantasy Grounds II. Sometime last year SmiteWorks dropped the II and just referred to the product as Fantasy Grounds. I think if you installed it now on a new computer it would just install as Fantasy Grounds in the Fantasy Grounds directory. There would be no reference to Fantasy Grounds II.
On the splash screen you will see your version. It should be 3.0.10 or if you are testing 3.0.11

You are right, it does say 3.0.11 on the splash screen. But It is a new installation (Monday) on this computer, and it does say Fantasy Grounds II in the program library :o

Liktorn
March 18th, 2015, 13:53
Liktorn - stop sitting on the sidelines! Even if you only paid $10 it would still be expensive if you never used it!
Check out https://www.fg-con.com/events and sign up for something! Either choose something that interests you or choose something at the most suitable time for you. Its good to try different things and a Con is your best opportunity.

Otherwise why arent you playing? Is it timing? Is it language? Is it lack of Players or GM?

Yes, sad is it not :confused:
I really do not know... I have a group I am playing with (not so regular thou) but they want to play with pen and paper. I have no problems with the language (as long as it is English, or Swedish). Time is a problem thou, having two small children and a full-time job.
Mostly it is that I have my own project. A Swedish RPG that I'm trying to convert to BRP. My heart has always been in the programming. That is my education a long time ago (C/C++), and still my go-to hobby from time to time.

But you are right. Maybe I should come out from my shell. Do some playing... Thank you for (maybe) convincing me ;)

Djmaxx
March 18th, 2015, 13:54

With the launch of the Xbox One and the PS4 the ability to make FG a console game isnt that big of a leap because of the fact that Microsoft and Sony have given so much freedom to developers https://gamedevelopment.tutsplus.com/articles/making-indie-games-on-the-xbox-one--gamedev-13415

damned
March 18th, 2015, 14:07
Yes, sad is it not :confused:
I really do not know... I have a group I am playing with (not so regular thou) but they want to play with pen and paper. I have no problems with the language (as long as it is English, or Swedish). Time is a problem thou, having two small children and a full-time job.
Mostly it is that I have my own project. A Swedish RPG that I'm trying to convert to BRP. My heart has always been in the programming. That is my education a long time ago (C/C++), and still my go-to hobby from time to time.

But you are right. Maybe I should come out from my shell. Do some playing... Thank you for (maybe) convincing me ;)

Im pretty sure we have a session or two of Drakar Och Demoner - in Swedish of course!
Time is always an issue.
But you will never just find time. You have to set some time aside. You have to make time :)

I see you just registered - great first step :)

https://www.fg-con.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/fg-con-6-150-8.jpg (https://www.fg-con.com/events/)

Djmaxx
March 18th, 2015, 14:09
The thought of SmiteWorks not thinking about branching off to console is mind boggling due to the fact that more ppl play console games that any other system.

PC games played by year, with % change from previous year.
2005 568,968
2006 558,074 (-2%)
2007 2,920,185 (+423%)
2008 5,857,447 (+101%)
2009 6,187,437 (+6%)
2010 15,728,587 (+154%)
2011 29,631,542 (+89%)
2012 33,355,879 (+13%)

Console games played by year, with % change from previous year.
All Nintendo, Microsoft, and Sony combined, including portables.
Hardware listed is the year in which the hardware was released.
2005 48,621,847 XBox 360, PlayStation Portable 1000
2006 140,890,341 (+290%) DS Lite, PlayStation 3, Wii
2007 321,998,102 (+229%) PSP 2000, PlayStation Eye
2008 578,241,141 (+80%) PSP 3000
2009 570,507,923 (-3%) DSi, DSi XL, PSP Go, PS3 Slim
2010 614,779,227 (+8%) Kinect, 360 Slim, Playstation Move
2011 578,873,094 (-6%) 3DS, Wii Family Edition
2012 445,278,842 (-23%) 3DS XL, PlayStation Vita, Wii Mini, Wii U

ddavison
March 18th, 2015, 15:13
Hey guys,

I thought I would chime in here. I have long had a strong desire to get FG out on the consoles. The move to Unity makes that much more realistic. It adds some more costs to our Unity package to be able to deploy there, and there are some additional design considerations; however, I think it's a huge step in the right direction. Moon_Wizard does all the lead development for the software and he normally does a good job of reigning in my ambitions and focusing on what is realistic and possible with our small design and programming team. We will weigh in more about the possible upgrade costs at a later date. I've spoken about it in the past but we won't really know for sure until we get to that point. We do plan to have some sort of sliding scale for people who already bought licenses once we get to that point.

Djmaxx
March 18th, 2015, 15:19
Hey guys,

I thought I would chime in here. I have long had a strong desire to get FG out on the consoles. The move to Unity makes that much more realistic. It adds some more costs to our Unity package to be able to deploy there, and there are some additional design considerations; however, I think it's a huge step in the right direction. Moon_Wizard does all the lead development for the software and he normally does a good job of reigning in my ambitions and focusing on what is realistic and possible with our small design and programming team. We will weigh in more about the possible upgrade costs at a later date. I've spoken about it in the past but we won't really know for sure until we get to that point. We do plan to have some sort of sliding scale for people who already bought licenses once we get to that point.

Thank you for letting us know that that idea is on the digital table for future prospects.

Trenloe
March 18th, 2015, 19:16
I have no problems with the language (as long as it is English, or Swedish). Time is a problem thou, having two small children and a full-time job.
There are two one-off sessions in Swedish on Friday and Saturday evening Swedish time (so should be fine after the kids have gone to bed):

https://www.fg-con.com/events/mithrax-magiska-stav-swedish/

https://www.fg-con.com/events/mithrax-magiska-stav-swedish-2/

Liktorn
March 18th, 2015, 19:26
There are two one-off sessions in Swedish on Friday and Saturday evening Swedish time (so should be fine after the kids have gone to bed):

https://www.fg-con.com/events/mithrax-magiska-stav-swedish/

https://www.fg-con.com/events/mithrax-magiska-stav-swedish-2/

Yeah, I have r talked to stolleson and I think I will sign up for at least one . Will just check with my wife ;)

Nylanfs
March 19th, 2015, 15:52
Liktorn, have you seen the various TV / Projector project threads for using FG in face to face games?

PopinFRESH
December 27th, 2015, 17:08
Hey guys,

My apologies for the necro-post, however, it's been a bit since I've hopped on the forum and just was stopping by to catch up on the FG4 / Unity engine progress and found this thread. While I am glad that you are going to be considering an upgrade option for current license holders, I wanted to say I have absolutely no qualms with buying a new major version regardless. I've got many many hours of enjoyment out of FG and would have no problem paying another $150 for a new Unlimited license for FG4 when it's released. With that said, what I would not like to see (and I'm confidant that this is a top priority for you) is that all of the content that I've purchased needing to be re-purchased.

More on-topic, the whole console idea would be pretty cool. Probably not the best option for being a DM but would be fantastic for players to join a DM hosting on a PC.

As always, keep up the good work and I'm greatly looking forward to the new features with the move to Unity!
-PopinFRESH