PDA

View Full Version : Moving spells/spell actions?

qwortec
March 13th, 2015, 17:59
One of the main things I enjoy about FG is the ability to setup spell actions. Me and my PCs took the time to go in and adjust all of their spells and special abilities so that they can be used automatically by painstakingly setting up their spell actions and adding custom or existing effects which they can apply/remove with the remove effects mod.

Now as the GM I want to create some NPCs with some spells. The problem is that I seem to be forced to create all of the spells from scratch again for each and every NPC which is tedious to the point of not being worth it. Is there a way to get a pre-built collection of spell actions, or even just be able to copy/paste them from my other characters? This is a huge huge problem with FG at the moment for me along with the fact that I can't import NCPs from something like PCGen (I know about Trenloe's parser but I can't get it to work).

Trenloe
March 13th, 2015, 18:40
or even just be able to copy/paste them from my other characters?
Drag the spell from one PC/NPC to the other. Click on the red dragon icon to the right of the spell in the actions tab and drag it to a spell level header on the target actions tab. You'll need to setup a spell class first and have at least one spell set for each level so you can see the level header. Dragging the spell will bring all of the settings (effects, etc.) from the original spell.

(I know about Trenloe's parser but I can't get it to work).
It's worth spending the time to understand how to use the parser - it will save you SOOOOO much time in the long run.

qwortec
March 13th, 2015, 19:48
The drag an drop worked! I didn't realize you needed to have the spell actions setup prior.

As for the parser, I just tried again but the instructions you provided don't help idiots like me who can't figure out what Select Data File and Module Name mean. I just paste in my stat block and... it doesnt even give me the option to parse it. I'm not even sure what the first steps are. I know you made that big post on how to deal with issues and stuff but I can't even get it to start to work so I just quit in frustration.

Could you give me a simple 1,2,3 on how to parse a basic statblock, say from the SRD?

Trenloe
March 13th, 2015, 20:32
Could you give me a simple 1,2,3 on how to parse a basic statblock, say from the SRD?
You need to copy/paste the statblocks into a text file - via a text editor. You don't paste it directly into the parser. This is covered at the beginning of post #2 in the parser thread: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?20522-Pathfinder-Creature-Parser-V2-Beta-Version

The "Select Data File" button is used to select the text file you have created containing one, or more, statblocks. Pay attention to the gotchas in post #2 and also look at the example creature textfile that comes in the ZIP file you'll download.

darrenan
March 13th, 2015, 20:39
How about a 1,2,3,4,5,6,7?

Here's the procedure I normally use:

1. Copy stat block(s) into a .txt file.
2. Open the creature parser.
3. Click the button to bring up a file browse dialog to select the file you wish to parse, navigate to and select the text file from step 1.
4. Click the Parse Spells check box, and clear the check boxes for disable logging and copy to FG directory (I turn those on later, once I know it's generating the right thing).
5. Click the Parse button. If you have errors, try to figure them out from the text, and from the generated .log and .fpf files. If you still can't figure it out, post on the creature parser thread, Trenloe is usually pretty quick to get back to you. Modify the .txt file and repeat this step (you don't need to close the creature parser, or change any of the check boxes, you can just iterate on the text file until it parses cleanly).
6. Click the copy to FG directory checkbox, and parse one more time and the generated .mod file will be copied into your modules directory.
7. Start up FG, click Library, then Modules and your module should be in the list now so you can open it and drag monsters out of there, and into your NPCs collection. I never drag directly from the module to the CT, or to an encounter, because I usually want to open up the NPC first, tweak the spells, add any additional special abilities that might need actions associated with them, and add a token.

qwortec
March 13th, 2015, 21:18
This is covered at the beginning of post #2 in the parser thread: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?20522-Pathfinder-Creature-Parser-V2-Beta-Version

Oh, yeah now I see that is how it should be interpreted. I read it a few times but didn't catch the fact that it needed to be c/p'ed into a .txt file and imported. It sounded to me like you just copy plain text into the parser. I wonder if I'm the only person to get confused by that.

I will try out that 7 point description too. Thanks!