PDA

View Full Version : New campaign starting: Morningstar at Midnight- Skype

The Scriven One
March 13th, 2015, 04:07
Hey everyone. I apologize if any of this information is redundant or obvious for the place I'm posting it. I'm casting a wide net with this recruitment because I'm short on time. I thought I'd have more people committed by now, but it hasn't worked out.

I'm starting a new D&D 5e (with significant homebrew options) Fantasy Grounds campaign this Saturday at 11:30 PM EST (3/14), and I need players.

I have one tentative player already, but he's hard to get ahold of so I can't be sure if he's going to be playing. Here are the details:

We will be using Fantasy Grounds. If you don't have it, you'd need to buy it or subscribe by Saturday. Don't feel like you need to be an expert with it, or with 5e, and if you are, please be kind to others who aren't when we play.

We will be using Skype. This is important to me. I've tried chat only games and find that they lose something for me, and I don't like Teamspeak- especially press to talk. For me, Skype feels more like actually being around a table together.

We will be playing every week at midnight EST for 4-6 hours, regularly. I'd prefer 6 hours. If a majority of the group wants another time, we can negotiate, but I need the day to be Saturday night, possibly into Sunday morning. Depending on the group's size, we may cancel on a given week if one person can't make it.

I'm looking for a maximum of 4-6 players. If I get more of a response, I'll talk to each individual, and see who can keep the schedule, who wants to play the longest, and will fit best with the group.

The game world is my homebrew/published d20 ancient world setting called Morningstar with house rules in the form of character options, monsters, situational system modifications to things like magic (that have a rationale in-world), character restrictions, and equipment restrictions. I am not replacing core rules, except where an option or restriction makes more sense for the setting. The system will be D&D.

We will be playtesting some of my mechanics, such as classes, races, etc, but you are not required to do so. You will be getting some extras, no matter what you play. Anything that is being playtested is subject to change, because I intend to publish these mechanics in my eventual setting guide. If you decide to play, thanks for bearing with me.

This information will probably not be parsed into Fantasy Grounds as a rulebook at first (which allows you to drag and drop things like abilities to your character sheet), but anything we're using will be available on my site's wiki, unless it's something I can just tell you. I'll get it parsed into FG as soon as possible.

The game will be slightly overpowered, but it's not for powergamers. Your character will be an epic hero or heroine like Hercules, Merlin, Gilgamesh, Ali Baba, Queen Mab, Atalanta, etc.

The first session will be character creation, which shouldn't take long with FG's automation tools, with the remaining time being an introductory adventure.

I like players who take control of the action in the game and roleplay to the fullest. If you're a rules lawyer who can't deal with quick rulings to keep the game going, you probably won't have fun. I want actors, roleplayers, and storytellers rather than people who focus on the game aspects of play. I hope you understand, but I have to lay this out to make sure that the game keeps going. I'd like this to be a long term campaign that goes for years, or at least until the group decides the story's done and we start the next campaign.

As for me, I don't plot the endgame ahead of time. I set up situations and let the dominoes fall as they may. My NPCS will have goals, however, and events will occur with or without your characters, to give a sense of verisimilitude. I always put setting first. If you find out that the Terrasque is hunting on the side of the local volcano, and you go there at first level and attack, things will turn out badly. I won't bend over backwards to make sure nothing bad happens to your character, though I am a lenient GM if you buy into the setting. People who are into simulation and immersion will probably have fun with me. People who are into the game rules alone probably will not. Within that paradigm, I will try to weave events to be as dramatic as possible, and to present tactical problems that are fun to work out.

The world is spicy, multicultural, and set in the bronze age (I'm not currently bothering with modifiers for equipment). It's not medieval European fantasy.

If you're interested in the game, and would like to know more, here's some information on the world:

https://worldsworkshop.com/morningstar-setting-overview-and-selling-points-with-map-preview/

Anyone who's interested can feel free to talk to me here or in private messages, and from there we can arrange a time to talk on Skype on Friday.

Thanks in advance, and I understand that there are a lot of dealbreakers in this post. I'm being this specific and picky because I'd like to form a long term group of like-minded people.

The Scriven One
March 13th, 2015, 19:08
We've got two players, and a possible third so far. Still recruiting.