PDA

View Full Version : New Elemental Evil Spells Wont Parse Properly

Kelendros78
March 13th, 2015, 02:24
I have tried to get these to parse...added the spells to each list and the descriptions but no luck any tips? or solutions

Kelendros78
March 13th, 2015, 02:38
Never mind it was me... make sure you cap all your spells :)

No1Sciguy
March 15th, 2015, 02:37
Yes. I had the same problem. The spell lists by class has the spells listed with only the first word of the spell capitalized. The spells themselves have capitials throughout the name.

FSHSchmo
March 15th, 2015, 05:17
I updated that on mine and removed the spell type after the names and now I get a parse format error.

No1Sciguy
March 15th, 2015, 20:37
I removed mine and it works fine. Can you post a sample?

FSHSchmo
March 15th, 2015, 23:52

#@;
Bard Spells
Cantrips (0 Level)
Thunderclap

1st Level
Earth Tremor

2nd Level
Pyrotechnics
Skywrite
Warding Wind

Druid Spells
Cantrips (0 Level)
Create Bonfire
Control Flames
Frostbite
Gust
Magic Stone
Mold Earth
Shape Water
Thunderclap

1st Level
Absorb Elements
Beast Bond
Ice Knife
Earth Tremor

2nd Level
Dust Devil
Earthbind
Skywrite
Warding Wind

3rd Level
Erupting Earth
Flame Arrows
Tidal Wave
Wall of Water

4th Level
Elemental Bane
Watery Sphere

5th Level
Control Winds
Maelstrom
Transmute Rock

6th Level
Bones of the Earth
Investiture of Flame
Investiture of Ice
Investiture of Stone
Investiture of Wind
Primordial Ward

7th Level
Whirlwind

Ranger Spells
1st Level
Absorb Elements
Beast Bond

3rd Level
Flame Arrows

Sorcerer Spells
Cantrips (0 Level)
Create Bonfire
Control Flames
Frostbite
Gust
Mold Earth
Shape Water
Thunderclap

1st Level
Catapult
Ice Knife
Earth Tremor

2nd Level
Aganazzar’s Scorcher
Dust Devil
Earthbind
Maximilian’s Earthen Grasp
Pyrotechnics
Snilloc’s Snowball Swarm
Warding Wind

3rd Level
Erupting Earth
Flame Arrows
Melf’s Minute Meteors
Wall of Water

4th Level
Storm Sphere
Vitriolic Sphere
Watery Sphere

5th Level
Control Winds
Immolation

6th Level
Investiture of Flame
Investiture of Ice
Investiture of Stone
Investiture of Wind

8th Level
Abi-Dalzim’s Horrid Wilting

Warlock Spells
Cantrips (0 Level)
Create Bonfire
Frostbite
Magic Stone
Thunderclap

2nd Level
Earthbind

4th Level
Elemental Bane

6th Level
Investiture of Flame
Investiture of Ice
Investiture of Stone
Investiture of Wind

Wizard Spells
Cantrips (0 Level)
Create Bonfire
Control Flames
Frostbite
Gust
Mold Earth
Shape Water
Thunderclap

1st Level
Absorb Elements
Catapult
Ice Knife
Earth Tremor

2nd Level
Aganazzar’s Scorcher
Dust Devil
Earthbind
Maximilian’s Earthen Grasp
Pyrotechnics
Skywrite
Snilloc’s Snowball Swarm

3rd Level
Erupting Earth
Flame Arrows
Melf’s Minute Meteors
Tidal Wave
Wall of Sand
Wall of Water

4th Level
Elemental Bane
Storm Sphere
Vitriolic Sphere
Watery Sphere

5th Level
Control Winds
Immolation
Transmute Rock

6th Level
Investiture of Flame
Investiture of Ice
Investiture of Stone
Investiture of Wind

7th Level
Whirlwind

8th Level

FSHSchmo
March 15th, 2015, 23:54
##;
8th-level necromancy
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: 150 feet
Components: V, S, M (a bit of sponge)
Duration: Instantaneous
You draw the moisture from every creature in a 30-foot cube centered on a point you choose within range. Each creature in that area must make a Constitution saving throw. Constructs and undead aren’t affected, and plants and water elementals make this saving throw with disadvantage. A creature takes 10d8 necrotic damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one.

Absorb Elements
1st-level abjuration
Casting Time: 1 reaction, which you take when you take acid, cold, fire, lightning, or thunder damage
Range: Self
Components: S
Duration: 1 round
The spell captures some of the incoming energy, lessening its effect on you and storing it for your next melee attack. You have resistance to the triggering damage type until the start of your next turn. Also, the first time you hit with a melee attack on your next turn, the target takes an extra 1d6 damage of the triggering type, and the spell ends.
<b>At Higher Levels.</b> When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 2nd level or higher, the extra damage increases by 1d6 for each slot level above 1st.

Aganazzar’s Scorcher
2nd-level evocation
Range: 30 feet
Components: V, S, M (a red dragon’s scale)
A line of roaring flame 30 feet long and 5 feet wide emanates from you in a direction you choose. Each creature in the line must make a Dexterity saving throw. A creature takes 3d8 fire damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one.
<b>At Higher Levels.</b> When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 3rd level or higher, the damage increases by 1d8 for each slot level above 2nd.

Beast Bond
1st-level divination
Range: Touch
Components: V, S, M (a bit of fur wrapped in a cloth)
Duration: Concentration, up to 10 minutes
You establish a telepathic link with one beast you touch that is friendly to you or charmed by you. The spell fails if the beast’s Intelligence is 4 or higher. Until the spell ends, the link is active while you and the beast are within line of sight of each other. Through the link, the beast can understand your telepathic messages to it, and it can telepathically communicate simple emotions and concepts back to you. While the link is active, the beast gains advantage on attack rolls against any creature within 5 feet of you that you can see.

Bones of the Earth
6th-level transmutation
Range: 120 feet
Components: V, S
You cause up to six pillars of stone to burst from places on the ground that you can see within range. Each pillar is a cylinder that has a diameter of 5 feet and a height of up to 30 feet. The ground where a pillar appears must be wide enough for its diameter, and you can target ground under a creature if that creature is Medium or smaller. Each pillar has AC 5 and 30 hit points. When reduced to 0 hit points, a pillar crumbles into rubble, which creates an area of difficult terrain with a 10-foot radius. The rubble lasts until cleared.
If a pillar is created under a creature, that creature must succeed on a Dexterity saving throw or be lifted by
the pillar. A creature can choose to fail the save.
If a pillar is prevented from reaching its full height because of a ceiling or other obstacle, a creature on the pillar takes 6d6 bludgeoning damage and is restrained, pinched between the pillar and the obstacle. The restrained creature can use an action to make a Strength or Dexterity check (the creature’s choice) against the spell’s saving throw DC. On a success, the creature is no longer restrained and must either move off the pillar or fall off it.
<b>At Higher Levels.<b> When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 7th level or higher, you can create two additional pillars for each slot level above 6th.

Catapult
1st-level transmutation
Range: 150 feet
Choose one object weighing 1 to 5 pounds within range that isn’t being worn or carried. The object flies in a straight line up to 90 feet in a direction you choose before falling to the ground, stopping early if it impacts against a solid surface. If the object would strike a creature, that creature must make a Dexterity saving throw. On a failed save, the object strikes the target and stops moving. In either case, both the object and the creature or solid surface take 3d8 bludgeoning damage.
<b>At Higher Levels.</b> When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 2nd level or higher, the maximum weight of objects that you can target with this spell increases by 5 pounds, and the damage increases by 1d8, for each slot level above 1st.

Create Bonfire
Conjuration cantrip
Range: 60 feet
Duration: Concentration, up to 1 minute
You create a bonfire on ground that you can see within range. Until the spells ends, the bonfire fills a 5-foot cube. Any creature in the bonfire’s space when you cast the spell must succeed on a Dexterity saving throw or take 1d8 fire damage. A creature must also make the saving throw when it enters the bonfire’s space for the first time on a turn or ends its turn there.
The spell’s damage increases by 1d8 when you reach 5th level (2d8), 11th level (3d8), and 17th level (4d8).

Control Flames
Transmutation cantrip
Duration: Instantaneous or 1 hour (see below)
You choose nonmagical flame that you can see within range and that fits within a 5-foot cube. You affect it in one of the following ways:
#ls;
You instantaneously expand the flame 5 feet in one direction, provided that wood or other fuel is present in the new location.
#li;You instantaneously extinguish the flames within the cube.
#li;You double or halve the area of bright light and dim light cast by the flame, change its color, or both. The change lasts for 1 hour.
#li;You cause simple shapes—such as the vague form of a creature, an inanimate object, or a location—to appear within the flames and animate as you like. The shapes last for 1 hour.
#le;
If you cast this spell multiple times, you can have up to three of its non-instantaneous effects active at a time, and you can dismiss such an effect as an action.

Control Winds
5th-level transmutation
Range: 300 feet
Duration: Concentration, up to 1 hour
You take control of the air in a 100-foot cube that you can see within range. Choose one of the following effects when you cast the spell. The effect lasts for the spell’s duration, unless you use your action on a later turn to switch to a different effect. You can also use your action to temporarily halt the effect or to restart one you’ve halted.
<b>Gusts.</b> A wind picks up within the cube, continually blowing in a horizontal direction that you choose. You choose the intensity of the wind: calm, moderate, or strong. If the wind is moderate or strong, ranged weapon attacks that pass through it or that are made against targets within the cube have disadvantage on their attack rolls. If the wind is strong, any creature moving against the wind must spend 1 extra foot of movement for each foot moved.
<b>Downdraft.</b> You cause a sustained blast of strong wind to blow downward from the top of the cube. Ranged weapon attacks that pass through the cube or that are made against targets within it have disadvantage on their attack rolls. A creature must make a Strength saving throw if it flies into the cube for the first time on a turn or starts its turn there flying. On a failed save, the creature is knocked prone.
<b>Updraft.</b> You cause a sustained updraft within the cube, rising upward from the cube’s bottom edge. Creatures that end a fall within the cube take only half damage from the fall. When a creature in the cube makes a vertical jump, the creature can jump up to 10 feet higher than normal.

Dust Devil
2nd-level conjuration
Components: V, S, M (a pinch of dust)
Duration: Concentration, up to 1 minute
Choose an unoccupied 5-foot cube of air that you can see within range. An elemental force that resembles a dust devil appears in the cube and lasts for the spell’s duration.
Any creature that ends its turn within 5 feet of the dust devil must make a Strength saving throw. On a failed save, the creature takes 1d8 bludgeoning damage and is pushed 10 feet away. On a successful save, the creature takes half as much damage and isn’t pushed.
As a bonus action, you can move the dust devil up to 30 feet in any direction. If the dust devil moves over sand, dust, loose dirt, or small gravel, it sucks up the material and forms a 10-foot-radius cloud of debris around itself that lasts until the start of your next turn. The cloud heavily obscures its area.
<b>At Higher Levels.</b> When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 3rd level or higher, the damage increases by 1d8 for each slot level above 2nd.

FSHSchmo
March 15th, 2015, 23:56

Thats a bit of it, don't want to upload the whole thing since it is just a tad bit long. I am using v0.0.8-b28 of Par5e btw (the version before the most recent update).

Kelendros78
March 16th, 2015, 00:09
did you create a new file or append your old one?

FSHSchmo
March 16th, 2015, 00:39
did you create a new file or append your old one?

I created a new one and parsed it out as a separate core book. I didn't have any issues with the races. The spells went through the first time but didn't pull the description because of the capitalization in the names. After I adjusted that and removed the spell class after the title is when it started messing up.

Kelendros78
March 16th, 2015, 00:42
Well because this is public content if you want me to take a look at the files drop them in drop box and I will take a look for you just drop the link here if you wouldn't mind

FSHSchmo
March 16th, 2015, 00:45
Well because this is public content if you want me to take a look at the files drop them in drop box and I will take a look for you just drop the link here if you wouldn't mind

You bet. [LINK REMOVED]

MODERATOR: Removed link to WotC copyright material. Reminder: just because something is free doesn't make it free to distribute. All WotC material (even their free PDFs) are covered by copyright and specifically include a notice: "Any reproduction or unauthorized use of the material or artwork contained herein is prohibited without express permission of Wizards of the Coast." Sorry to be the copyright police, but we don't want to annoy WotC by posting their copyright protected material on these forums.

Kelendros78
March 16th, 2015, 01:16
Ok I have taken a look you had ? instead of ' throughout the file...I still get a malformed with all the spells parsing correctly.

My belief is that its mal formed becuase its expecting all the caster classes... so I am going to try that next.

Kelendros78
March 16th, 2015, 01:29
Ok I have taken a look you had ? instead of ' throughout the file...I still get a malformed with all the spells parsing correctly.

My belief is that its mal formed because its expecting all the caster classes... you skipped sorcerer completely. (cleric, and paladin had no updates so I understand why you omited them... I did parse your spell descriptions against My whole spell list...I just added the spells since they are official to my existing spells if you have them parsed and want to still keep them separate I recommend copying your spells file putting them in the separate module.

The Scriven One
March 16th, 2015, 02:48
I was getting malformed because the ranger spell progression was missing level 2 spells. I put a dummy spell in there and it parsed fine.

Karykzen
March 16th, 2015, 18:30
I found that little things cause errors. I don't think you need a <Return> betwen the Spell Levels on your list. Just between the Class Types.

Eru the One
March 30th, 2015, 20:42
I'm finding that it is not creating Ranger or Warlock spell indexes. The spells for Bard, Druid, Sorcerer, and Wizard have no issue and the spells that Ranger/Warlock share with those classes show that Ranger/Warlock are sourced. I did find that moving Ranger and Warlock to before Bard on the index list I do get indexes created, but now it's not alphabetical.

lbealsjr
April 1st, 2015, 05:53
I'm finding that it is not creating Ranger or Warlock spell indexes. The spells for Bard, Druid, Sorcerer, and Wizard have no issue and the spells that Ranger/Warlock share with those classes show that Ranger/Warlock are sourced. I did find that moving Ranger and Warlock to before Bard on the index list I do get indexes created, but now it's not alphabetical.

There is apparently an issue in FG with displaying a class if the classes entire spell list is part of another class that comes before it. It becomes an issue with the EE player's companion since Ranger and Warlock spells listed in the EEPC are all part of the other classes. So you can do what you did and move them ahead of the other classes and live with them out of order or you can add in dummy placeholder spells to each of the subject classes to make them different and live with a spell in the spell list that goes nowhere...at least until (of if) it gets fixed.

Lawrence